Author Topic: Servicing air dryer  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
Servicing air dryer
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:07:01 AM »
Guys...Is there a service "kit" available for the air dryer from MCI parts?  Anyone have the part number?  I'm talking about the dryer between the two front wheels on an MC9.  I looked through the parts manual and found listing for a number of different air dryers and/or automatic air tank drains.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Servicing air dryer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:26:03 AM »
There is a kit. I'm thinking my dryer is an AD-2 (someone will beat me up if that's incorrect). I got my kit from C&J Bus Repair (www.cjbusrepair.com - ask for JD). You'll need to provide the dessicant core. Check for a kit at a local truck repair shop, also, as I think these are standard items, not specific to buses.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:07:14 PM »
I found all the replacment parts at NAPA and cheaper than anywhere else I could find. You can find them also at napaonline.com.
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

Offline Sammy

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »
Ross, your local truck parts house will have everything you need too.
Best of luck with your repair.
Sammy  8)

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »
Ross, I think its easier to remove the dryer from the bus to work on it. When you get your decissant, be sure to get a kit to rebuild the purge valve as well.
    The Bendix website has great info on servicing the AD-2 dryer, as well as a toll free help line that you can get correct advise.
 One thing the Bendix tech told me is that it would be better to update to an AD-9 dryer instead or rebuilding the AD-2.
If you decided to persue that route, the AD-9 can be picked up on ebay usually for $50, and then rebuilding it cost comparable to fixing your AD-2.
 Also, check the current to the 24V heater on the dryer. Mine was mis-wired (imagine that!) and power was on any time the main dosconnect was on.
   In retrospect, I would have bought the 9 dryer, however,my AD-2 works properly now-hope this helps-Chuck Lott
Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:50:06 PM »
I found the MCI number so I can order it from MCI parts.  Need some windshield rubber anyway.  In my local search, everyone asked "Are you sure it's not an AD-9?"  Maybe I'll go that route.  The truck shop siad thay usually just upgrade which is why they don't keep parts around for the old ones.  I assume the 9 works the same way as the 2.  It has a purge that blows off at around 120PSI, right?

NCbob

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:01:08 PM »
On the windshield rubber...Is this getting redundant?  Call Luke @ US Coach. 1-888-262-2434.

I just bought two windshield gaskets from him (don't forget the lock bead) and he's was as, if not more, competitive than MCI or anyone else I spoke with.  MCI wanted to sell me bulk (read continous) gasket which my glass man said couldn't be sealed in the mitred corner.

I might be a "newbie" but I've very quickly learned to lean on the expertise of Luke and his gang.  Can't be beat!

NCbob

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:33:44 PM »
On the windshield rubber...Is this getting redundant?  Call Luke @ US Coach. 1-888-262-2434.

How much were they from Luke?  They are $47.79 each from MCI parts and $20.85 for 30 feet of lock bead...and free shipping over $100.

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
If I remember correctly the AD-9 is shorter and fatter the and AD-2 and it would not fit as well in my location on the Eagle model 10. Before changing make sure it will fit okay in your location.
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal