Author Topic: Front spoiler/air dam for mileage  (Read 30246 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Re: Front spoiler/air dam for mileage
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 10:01:16 AM »
Son........... if you want to follow me, you TOO will be going nowhere fast!!!  ::)  Actually, you'll be going quite sloooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;)

But, about that idea, I wonder if the way the buffalo is configured, in the back, has anything to do with that? Or maybe it's that way to try to keep the rear window cleaner. Hmmmmm, somebody ought to know.
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

maria-n-skip

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »

If memory serves the most aerodynamic design ends up looking like a banana.
 For wind breaks 1 ft height gets you 10 ft of coverage (reduced air movement)
  So using subtractive logic (I never was good at proofs) you would need to change your
 roof line to an arc approx. 4 feet higher 40 feet long and follow the arc down behind the
 bus.

Now if you can make that look good you truly are an Artist extraordinare.
  Looks like sketch time personally I like french curve instead of a simple arc.

Skip

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »
I'm hip to that logic and yeah, some people like my art, but I ain't THAT good!!!  ;D But then, I like the Oscar Meyer hot dog mobile!!  :DLOLOLOLOL  :D :D :D
  I was just wondering if maybe some sort of spoiler, or a piece coming out from under the bumper or something to that effect.
  I know a typical spoiler is for down pressure, so that is not what I am after, but maybe there is some sort of way to cheat the wind. Probably just a pipe dream, but maybe someone has an idea.

I like brats better than hotdogs,
        Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »

Here is something cheap,  you might could make some. 

be sure to establish a somewhat baseline and then post results.

http://www.airtab.com/

this guy calls them turbulators.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/car_aerodynamics/#Car%20side%20fairings

good luck and keep us posted

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
I run my bus in a nose down attitude around 6" to 8" difference from front to rear, helps a bit. Also I have phosphorescence strips in my rub rails that illuminate at night ... real cool to see at night running down the road or in the campground.
Ron

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 09:14:23 PM »
I run my bus in a nose down attitude around 6" to 8" difference from front to rear, helps a bit. Also Ron

Ahhhh,  always going downhill, eh   :D :D
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline JohnEd

Aero treatment for rear
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 11:54:50 PM »
Chaz,

You can tell if a vehicle has a lot of rear drag by how dirty it gets how fast.  Big square semi's are always filthy if unwashed for a few days...especially in winter wet.  The MCI 9 seems to stay relatively clean and there is a reason.  The roof on a 9 (and other models) is shorter than the bottom footprint.  Thjat short roof relieves the vacuim formed by ther bus and lets the "top air" come down to fill the vac with cleaner air.  Install a rear cap that is proportional to the bottom and you will enhabce drag and it should dirty up quicker.  If you want to further reduce drag on a bus install those curved wing-like pieces of heavy gauge sheet metal on the SIDES of an MCI.  I have seen many high line coaches with the wing installed on the trailing edge of the squared roof.  Some have a chanel moulded into the fiberglass rear cap.

Affix a triangular piece to the leading edge of your awning.  They scream going down the road at 70 mph so the are doing somthing bad.  The nside channel should be filled for travel somehow.

Cover the rear wheels with a full "skirt".  That cuts down seriously on drag.

Interesting topic and  also some great references in the replys.

Thanks

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 06:23:50 AM »
NOW we're cookin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Excellent info guys!!! Definitly stuff I can use and work with.
  The short roof idea is what I was thinking about when I mentioned making something coming out from under the bumper. The back of my -stock rear- buffalo gets plenty dirty, but I think the roof is already a bit shorter. I'll have to check.
  I don't have an awning, but want one some day. I could easily fab up a nose cone.

Cool! Thanx again Newbee and John!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Chaz

maria-n-skip

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 07:10:29 AM »
Chaz,

Ok time to take off the gloves. Since I have been thinking about your request for more than a second or two. (seconds turn into days)
 The biggest issue is the fact that you have close to a 64 sq. foot wall in front. The laws of physics basically leaves you only two
 routes you can redirect a force or overcome a force with another force. To date we really have no way to create a vacum in front of
 the bus other than slipping in behind a semi. (most optimum and dangerious) so lets look at redirection. Any reduction of the front
 flat wall square footage will increase effeciancies.

So how about a Visor in the front (at proper angles) with the collected air channeled to the back of the bus by ducts on either side of the AC. then at the back channeled down. If the visor covers 2 ft of the vertical then you could see somewhat less than a 25% reduction in the flat wall effect (8X8 Flat wall to 6X8 flat wall). If the ducts are built heavey enough you would then have the frame in place to put in solar panels
when you are flush (Famous AND RICH).

FWIW
 Skip

Offline tekebird

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »
there are cheaper and more beneficial things to improve your economy...and not make your bus look like a hillbilly science experiment gone bad.

alot of things that claim to give you increased economy do......but it is measured over a million miles or so...not the 6-8k most do in a year.

In these cases your $$ is better spent through your fuel tank

maria-n-skip

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »
Aw come on Tekebird I wasn't suggesting putting a rocking chair on top of the bus.

Nice view though :)

Skip

Songman

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »
A rocking chair! Now there is an idea! Come on, granny! We're going for a ride!  ;D

maria-n-skip

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 09:49:35 AM »
Songman,

Were grandparents so we qualify to resemble that remark.

Gee I wonder if I could get my wife up there for a ride.

I'll check back later with the results.

Skip

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
Thanx Skip! What a thought! And thanx for indulging me. Obviously tekebird didn't read much of the beginning of the post or he has a short memory. :)
  A visor might be an interesting project. I think it could look rather cool if I can come up with a design that compliments the bus. But I would hate to lose my destination sign. Not sure about the ducts tho.  ;)

Thanx again for your time in contemplation! ;D
        Chaz

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »
I have not read all of the replys.
I will share this though.
Back in the late 60's and early 70's the NASCAR boys were making the front ends of the Ford Taladeaga's, the Dodge Charger's and the Plymouth Super Birds pointy and slick.  Boy would they run fast!  Then they would crunch one up in a wreck, throw some duct tape on it (They called it 200MPH tape back then!) and go back on the track and run faster!  What they found was that if they reduced the drag at the rear it ran faster.  It turns out that the more the car is shaped like an egg, the faster it runs because the air going across the rear is less disturbed!
When working at Fruehauf Trailers in the late 70's they were experimenting with the same thing you are taking about Chaz, keeping air from going under the truck and trailer (and keeping it from being disturbed between the cab and trailer.)  It works, the problem is the stuff gets torn off and costs a lot to fix.
Now remember if you restrict the air upder the bus, you may have some overheating of compnents.  I don't know, just thinking ahead.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal