Author Topic: Front spoiler/air dam for mileage  (Read 30111 times)

Offline tekebird

Re: Front spoiler/air dam for mileage
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2007, 06:39:59 PM »
I took some pics but can't get them out of the camera.

front surface of the visor is the exact angle or damn near exact as the windshield.

and from the looks the distance between the edge of the visor and the windshield is the same as the exit holes size.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
Chaz -

Thought you might be interested in something "The Factory" did with a bus model in terms of a visor.  This is an MCI MC-6.  Have only found one pic that shows the roof above the windshield, and it's a poor photo, so I didn't scan it.  Anyway, look closely at the photo I have posted.  The dark spots on either side of the center "Michigan Marker" lights are the fleet number.  On the roof there are longitudinally-oriented slotted vents running from fleet number to fleet number, roughly corresponding to that little "hump" in the trim, to allow the air trapped by the visor to escape.

Did these contribute to increased fuel mileage??  As big as this monster was in it's day (1969 - 1970), and the thirsty 12V71 that powered it initially, it was probably a moot point!

FWIW & HTH. . .

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2007, 06:02:45 AM »
Thanx Russ.
  That is probably a more functional visor as for the sun, as you noted. Looks pretty cool, but I think I am going to try to get some aero out of it by making it slant down more and a bit longer. Plus I think I can make it blend in a little better with the lines of the bus also.
  I'm not sure I will put openings at the rear where the visor meets the bus. I am looking more at possibly louvering it. But until I do up a sketch or two, I won't know. The louvers may take away from it.  ???
  Thanx again for digging around for a photo for me!!!!
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2007, 06:08:45 AM »
I am surprised that someone has not posted a photo of the Eagle with an extended snout for your viewing pleasure. I do not have a photo of it, but I saw it while at Dallas's last get together. It extended out about ten feet I believe from where the normal front end of the Eagle was and as I recall you could not see the end of it from the drivers seat. Must really be a bitch trying to make a right hand turn into a two lane street. Maybe impossible. Hopefully Gary of someone will post a photo for you.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2007, 06:44:24 AM »
Richard,
   Are you talking about "Home Grown Diesel"?  I am familiar with that bus. He's a helluva nice guy and I want to pick his brain one of these days on WVO. I just have too many irons in the fire right now.
  I actually asked him to weigh in if he had any info he thought i could use.
  But I want it stay -maybe- a little more original.  ;)

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Songman

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
I am surprised that someone has not posted a photo of the Eagle with an extended snout for your viewing pleasure. I do not have a photo of it, but I saw it while at Dallas's last get together. It extended out about ten feet I believe from where the normal front end of the Eagle was and as I recall you could not see the end of it from the drivers seat. Must really be a bitch trying to make a right hand turn into a two lane street. Maybe impossible. Hopefully Gary of someone will post a photo for you.
Richard

This one? It's definitely different! There is another one that I am thinking of that is not so outrageous. I'll see if I can find a picture of it too.

Click for larger picture.

More...

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2007, 05:28:06 PM »
Yep. Thats the one. Really a lot of work and thought went into this beauty.
Richard

Richard

This one? It's definitely different! There is another one that I am thinking of that is not so outrageous. I'll see if I can find a picture of it too.

Click for larger picture.

More...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Songman

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2007, 05:30:37 PM »
There is another one that I am thinking of that retains more of the Eagle look. It has a fiberglass car type nose on it and the bus is smooth sided. The pictures I have seen are from a show and the bus is in primer.

Songman

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
Finally found that other picture I was looking for. It was right here on the forum in the photo topic.

Not really an airdam but more streamlined in the front anyway...

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2007, 07:18:51 AM »
OK Chaz,

you need to buid one of these and stick on the bus.

http://quantumgravitics.tripod.com/id3.html
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2007, 07:26:14 AM »
Sounds like the 100mpg carburetor.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »
Hey Thanx Songman! Pretty sleek looking bus. But I think it could still use a damn. Opps, "air dam".  ;)   :D  lol
  I think the way the top is stair-stepped on a Buffalo makes it a bit more stream lined. Is it enough to make a difference? Only a wind tunnel can tell. But I still like the idea of a dam....even if its just for looks.
  Thanx again for looking up that pic.

To air is human, to have a bus......... DIVINE!!!
          Chaz

Offline tekebird

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 07:39:29 AM »
the Step on a Buff is NOT aerodynamically efficient

If you want to Aero your Buff

Step One:  Put an Eagle cap on the front of it.
Step two: Take stuff off the roof
Step three: Don't put a cap on the back
Step four: Ground effects, but never drive the bus on anything but highway because you will rip them off
Step five:  Put that bullet train nose add on on the front

maria-n-skip

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 07:37:50 AM »

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2007, 07:43:08 AM »
HA!!!!!!!!! Thanx Skip!!! I love it!!!!!

Chaz

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal