Author Topic: RYOBI 18v Drill Kit $50 at Home Depot  (Read 3316 times)

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
RYOBI 18v Drill Kit $50 at Home Depot
« on: August 13, 2007, 07:00:56 PM »
Seems like a good deal.  Lists regularly for $90.  It actually comes with two batteries, not one as advertised.

Specs are here:

http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/p811/
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline JimC

Re: RYOBI 18v Drill Kit $50 at Home Depot
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »

I really like the Ryobi products, They are not contractor grade, but in my mind they are very close, and for the money probably a better buy. I have the large kit with the chain saw, circular saw, sawz all, jig saw, drill, light, and vacuum.  so far everything in the kit has exceeded my expectations with the exception of the vacuum, it's marginal.
JIm

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:03 PM »
At work I use professional quality tools. At home I have the kit Jim is talking about. They work very well for home use and will last a long time if not abused. For that money you could burn up several and still be ahead. Surprisingly, I have found that the spotlight is very handy and using the same battery as the drill, I never have a dead battery because one is always charged on the charger.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
This kit is only $10 more than two replacement batts.

FWIW ;)
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

belfert

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »
I wanted to buy the $29 Ryobi cordless fan earlier this summer.  The batteries and charger killed the deal as it was at least $50 additional for those items.  I'll have to look into this drill kit if it really has two batteries and charger.  Thanks for the heads up!

I have a full set of Makita cordless tools already so I wasn't interested into buying anything from Ryobi besides the cordless fan.

AJ

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Yes it is a great deal.
I bought one today.

AJ

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 02:06:10 PM »
 I've had the quality tools and gave up, the batterys are just too expensive and dont last.
  I now have a Ryobi 18V my buddy went with Craftsman. The difference we see is they do not grip drill bits as well as the expensive tools but the batterys cost one heck of a lot less and last longer.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 02:34:35 PM »
Jim

If you want them to grip better, take the chuck off your expensive drill and put it on the cheap one. Or go to your favorite hardware store/homecenter and buy a "Jacobs" brand replacement chuck.

There is a left hand threaded screw down inside the chuck. Some are slotted, some are Phillips and some are hex or torx headed screws. After you get that loose, the chuck will unscrew to the right. You may need to grip the motor with a pair of vice grips, but it will unscrew.

Almost all chucks have the same attaching threads. I've bought junk drills at yard sales and flea markets because they have a great chuck. My Milwaukee drill has worn out 3 batteries and 4 1/2" chucks in 7 years and my 18V Dewalt drill has worn out 5 or 6 batteries and an endless number of chucks.

Oh, and by the way, for anyone interested, Dewalt 18V batteries and B&D Firestorm 18V batteries will interchange on the Dewalt, but not on the B&D without a bit of grinding. Firestrom batteries are not as powerful or long lasting when in use, but can be bought quite a bit cheaper than the Dewalt batteries.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »
Dallas you are amazing!!! You really shoud start your own website, like Tips and Teck by Dallas. Or maybe the Complete Enclopedia of useless information by Dallas or  Bubbagirls Hubbys tip site.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:14:44 PM »
Dallas you are amazing!!! You really shoud start your own website, like Tips and Teck by Dallas. Or maybe the Complete Enclopedia of useless information by Dallas or  Bubbagirls Hubbys tip site.

Haven't ya'll ever heard the phrase, "Necessity is the mutha of invention?"

Dallas

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:28:09 AM »

I would, but I figure that other people already know this stuff or don't need to mess with it.
A lot of what I do and learn is because I'm too cheap to pay what the manufacturers want.

Besides, When you collect as much junk as I do, you have to do something with it sometime. I've been taking stuff apart since I was old enough to steal dads pliers and some of it actually goes back together and some of that even works.  Good thing I don't collect Scenicruisers! ;D

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 05:06:30 AM »
 Dallas said "Good thing I don't collect Scenicruisers!"

Thank goodness for small miracles!!  ;D  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal