Author Topic: OT: Getting rid of Windows Vista  (Read 15350 times)

Dallas

Re: OT: Getting rid of Windows Vista
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:47 PM »
Nick,

"Dual Core" only refers to the processor. What that means is that there are two discreet processors on one silicone chip as opposed to the old way of using two separate processors.

I'm glad you like Vista. I just hope you have good luck with it and it's "Security"  ;D

I would almost be willing to bet you that I could break through your security while sitting at your desk with you in the room looking at me within (1) one minute.

I may not do it that fast, but it wouldn't be much longer.

WOO - HOO Microsoft does it again!

Hi Guy's

My 2 new office computers are HP with "duel corr" I'm told I can run both Vista and XP if I wanted.  ?? Not sure..

I'm also glad that my bussiness software works with Vista, because if it didn't, it would cost me about $25k to repurchace...

Anyway, the Vista system is working and with no glitches so far. It's far better then XP in alot of ways like, ease of opening files,

security, networking, and um..um.. games.

Good Luck
Nick-

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »
No Way Dallas...

I have a State of the art, High Tech, Lab Tested, Samsonite Luggage lock on my computors.

You would have to be a Monkey to get in to it!  ;D

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

captain ron

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »
I'm having trouble cutting and pasting in Vista, What's the trick?

Dallas

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 04:31:17 AM »
No Way Dallas...

I have a State of the art, High Tech, Lab Tested, Samsonite Luggage lock on my computors.

You would have to be a Monkey to get in to it!  ;D

Nick-

But I have a dremel tool, angle grinder, smoke wrench, and a tow chain that will hook to a convenient spot to pull it apart!

Somethin's gotta give!  :D

Dallas

Offline ArtMaybee

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 06:38:11 AM »
For the music files just use a different player... do a google search for winamp.
It was free last time I downloaded it. I like it better than media player anyway.
When you install winamp it will prompt you to change the file associations for your MP3 and any other sound files you would like to open with it.

The pirated software shouldn't be a problem. Microsoft is only checking for pirated Microsoft software. Vista does not check serial numbers and status of third party vendor's stuff.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 09:25:30 AM »
I just bought a new laptop for my bus, for my tv to show pictures and streaming movei from netflix etc.  I don't see how Vista does anything for me.  Its expensive, and since I don't play video games, the DirectX 10 does not really benefit me.   I had to look a lot, but I did find one with XP on it. happiness

The downside of Vista is that some GPS programs, and my engine management software would not run on Vista.  So hmm, lets see, more money, less compatability, minor features I can't use.

MIcrosoft has just pulled XP from any new computer, if you buy new, you must buy it with Vista.  I think Microsoft is just trying to recoup its investment all at once.  Until it gets cheaper and EVERYONE has drivers for it, its more of a pain.  XP does everything I need it to do.

my 2 cents

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

captain ron

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »
I haven't tried any perifials yet in my new laptop such as my GPS, camera, or recording equiptment. I still want to partition my hard drive and run both systems. I still have to install my extra but I think they gave me the wrong on it's only 512 mb and I thought I was getting a bigger one.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 01:23:46 PM »
I haven't tried any perifials yet in my new laptop such as my GPS, camera, or recording equiptment. I still want to partition my hard drive and run both systems. I still have to install my extra but I think they gave me the wrong on it's only 512 mb and I thought I was getting a bigger one.

That's what she said too! LOL!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

maria-n-skip

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »

Ron

FWIW

I've run dual booted machines.....Linux,Nt,XP, etc. just about any combo there in.

Back up often!!!!! if you do go this route.     I personally liked partition magic in the Linux systems for partitioning.

Skip

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »
Ron, if all you have is 512 meg running Vista, you'll be sorry if youdon't upgrade to at least a gig of ram.  Vista is such a hog.  (pun intended)
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline gus

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »
I'm with you Ron, MS software is so grossly overpriced and so poorly designed that it causes nothing but headaches to the average user. MS lets the buying public test their software, nice! I'll take every free one I can get but won't buy pirated stuff. I don't use any of their stuff like Office or IE, there are better ones available free on the net and I don't mean pirated, I mean free.

I have a standing rule of never using a new Win version until the next one comes out. By that time, maybe, most of the bugs are worked out! I also have a lot of very old software that works fine for my needs so why upgrade to more expensive stuff that is mostly fatware anyway?

My one regret is not getting an Apple in the first place.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 03:00:07 PM »
Ron, this may be something you are interested in:
]http://store.worldstart.com/product.php?productid=3564]
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

captain ron

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
I was leaning towards Apple but $400.00 for a laptop that has all the stuff this one has I had to go with a PC. I'm gonna see if the memory out of my old one will work in the new one to speed it up even more. Forget that, it's only 2 - 256mb cards so I guess I'll just stick the other 512 in till I can afford 2 really big ones. This one has an 80 gig hard drive plus I have a Lacie 250 gig Hard drive and a cage for the hard drive out of my old laptop and even another old laptop. So I have lots of storage space, just need to learn how to properly use it.

captain ron

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 03:21:58 PM »
What will that do for me?

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »
Well, when Larry "blew up" his laptop, he scarfed my little bitty one and suggested I should buy myself a new one.  At that time, thinking I couldn't buy one without Vista, I took the jump, and to be honest, it was a real pain.  Sure, lots of programs work with it, but lots don't.  The scheduling software we use is not Vista compliant, neither is our fax program, and I waited over six months for Sony-Erricsson to come out with the drivers to run my air card on Vista.  No matter how many suggestions I've followed, how many files I've downloaded, and how much I've played with our network, we are still at the point where the Vista laptop can see and access files on the XP computers, none of the XP computers can ever access the Vista one, which makes it annoying for me to save files to it.  I have to keep it open on my desk and use it to "grab" the files, instead of just saving to it when in the process of saving updated files for various computers.

Due to our perpetual shortage of office help, I decided to move the scheduling computer into my office, and because I wanted to option of easily moving it to Margie's desk when I was gone, I wanted to purchase another laptop.  I found that there are indeed XP computers available, and I found a nice little Compaq with specs meeting my needs that had XP. . .found it at CompUSA.  Now, you'd think with three laptops sitting on my desk, I'd get more work done, wouldn't you, ha ha. 

It always was easy for me to find any file on our network, simply by using the search command and picking where I wanted to search.  I have yet to find a way, when on my Vista unit, plopped on my couch,  to search a network computer (at the office) for a file using a search command.  If it's there, I can't seem to find it, even in "help".  I also have had to use Maxemail, an internet faxing service, for faxing from this Vista, because it doesn't even have a basic fax program on it, and I can't even print from it to our fax program on another computer because there are no fax drivers for it.  Sure, I guess I could buy all new programs, but to be honest, I have a company to run and simply do NOT have the time to learn a bunch of new programs when the ones we have work so well for us. 

Oh well, eventually, we will have no choice and everything will be Vista, but it ticks me off that Microsoft will NOT offer support for any computer sold with Vista on it, and the computer manufacturer will NOT offer support for Vista, so basically, no one would talk to me to help me solve the network issue we have with accessing that computer. 

Here, let me whine some more while I try to make the point that you can find computers with XP on them, new, with full warranty, if you search, and it's worth the search, ha ha.  Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal