Author Topic: OT: Getting rid of Windows Vista  (Read 15431 times)

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
Re: OT: Getting rid of Windows Vista
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
Personally I couldn't make a living without MS or I would have to go back to pencil and paper.

I have to agree with songman, for me MS is the only O/S that will run all my CAD / graphics and office programs. I "F" dish all my machines once a year to keep them clean.

I run top componets and lots of ram 2 gig on my laptop /w a nVidia Quadro FX V card and 4 gig on the workstation. I am on a computer 8 to 10 hrs a day and itg rare for me to have any problems.

Ron

Songman

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 06:02:32 AM »
Gus,

Everyone has their favorites. I know, I used to be a Mac guy to the core.Of course, that was when Windows 3.1 was first out.

And I am not arguing with you about whether or not Windows is junk. You are entitled to your opinion. But as I said, there are too many of us running Windows flawlessly to call it junk. I'm sorry that you seem to have had so many problems with it.

But still you are missing the point I am making about support. I likened it to Ford still supporting the Model T. You said that was invalid because you could still get anything from a Model T. I said aftermarket was different because Ford itself was not still supporting the Model T, and that I could even get aftermarket stuff for Windows...

Now you said 'Buying new stuff for Windows is not support'. I agree. And that is not what I said.

As I pointed out in my earlier post. Windows XP is officially supported through Microsoft until 2014. There is 7 more years of official support. Plenty of time for people to work bugs out. It is not free support, but again to the car scenario, after the warranty is up they don't offer free support either. It is just not true that "Microsoft doesn't want to help, they only want to sell Vista". True, all new machines come with Vista. You can't get a 427 in a Chevy anymore either. All companies, regardless of their product, have to move on.

I am not here defending Vista. As I said, I was a beta tester and had to remove it because it wouldn't work with most of my peripherals at the time. But I have worked on new Vista machines and set up a few Vista/XP networks for clients and have had very few problems, and those I was able to work out within a few hours. I still prefer my XP Pro, but then I usually don't like to buy a car in first year production either. I like to let them work the bugs out first... And Microsoft is no different.

My bottom line point remains - I think it is incorrect to sit and call an entire company junk when there are so many people running their products flawlessly. It obviously can be done. And my secondary point is - Microsoft has brought the computer industry farther than any other company and we wouldn't have come nearly as far without them. The study I posted earlier shows it best. You can't have 90% of the market unless you are doing something right.

Thanks for the friendly discussion guys. Seems to me that this is just down to preferences now and I we're just repeating stuff. I will offer that if anyone has any Windows problems that I can help with, just ask. Not saying I am an expert or anything but I have zero problems with my Windows stuff.

Dallas

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 06:16:08 AM »
Gus,

I will offer that if anyone has any Windows problems that I can help with, just ask. Not saying I am an expert or anything but I have zero problems with my Windows stuff.

OK,
Here's my windows problem,

When I use my admin function to open a window, there seems to be a "leak" so to speak. Sometimes all that I get is a blue screen if I look up and a green screen if I look down.
Opening the window itself is actually the main problem, it hangs and won't do anything I ask it too. I eventually have to physically interact with the system and use a screw driver to get it to finish opening the window.
If I leave the window open too long, I have problems closing it again, it seems to take forever to close unless I use the screwdriver or even a hammer to tap on the case.
Please Help!

Oh, and I forgot to mention.... sometimes, even if the window is closed there is leakage of water especially if there is a grey screen.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2007, 06:32:55 AM »
Did you ever stop to think that it might be raining and nothing is wrong?
Richard

Gus,

I will offer that if anyone has any Windows problems that I can help with, just ask. Not saying I am an expert or anything but I have zero problems with my Windows stuff.

OK,

When I use my admin function to open a window, there seems to be a "leak" so to speak. Sometimes all that I get is a blue screen if I look up and a green screen if I look down.
Opening the window itself is actually the main problem, it hangs and won't do anything I ask it too. I eventually have to physically interact with the system and use a screw driver to get it to finish opening the window.
If I leave the window open too long, I have problems closing it again, it seems to take forever to close unless I use the screwdriver or even a hammer to tap on the case.
Please Help!

Oh, and I forgot to mention.... sometimes, even if the window is closed there is leakage of water especially if there is a grey screen.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Songman

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2007, 06:43:10 AM »
Dallas,

I have considered your problem carefully and I have consulted with one of my top helpers.

We have come to the conclusion that we can help you and are going to send one of our top techs out to solve your problem.

He will work with you to show you how to handle the problem should it come back in a few months. Our goal is to ensure that people have a pleasant experience with their Windows. There is a whole world out there and Windows wants to help you see it.

Should you have any more problems, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Bill Gates

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 06:50:41 AM »
All -

My sister's husband is the techie-guru at Intel Folsom that's in charge of the group integrating Intel processors into Apple (or vise-versa, depending on your viewpoint.)  Jim's both a hardware and a software guy, so he's very familiar with what's what, nowadays.

He told me recently that Intel, as a corporation, is holding off moving to Vista from XP Pro for at least 18, if not 24 months - and not because of the $$$ involved with license fees.

Thought it was an interesting comment from somebody deeply involved within the industry. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Hartley

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 10:10:49 AM »
Now if someone could release a "PATCH" for all that's wrong with "LIFE" that would be of interest.

I started having trouble with my XP laptop.. Geeezzz...

It wouldn't see the networked computers.... My Old IBM Latop XP would but the compaq
ceased seeing anything but itself. Seems that it was part of workgroup but wouldn't talk to it.

The Vista machine saw the ID in it's network but couldn't find it, Nor could the other XP and W2000 machines.... What the heck is happening....

Well after 24 hours of searching for the "WHY" and getting patches for XP to see LLTP
which didn't work.....

Apparently the Netbios function was killed off by a stray bullet into the NBT parameters in the registry.... Talk about needing a sledghammer to remove a fly speck on the windshield...

Found the answer on the MS technet site. deleted one key value and all of a sudden I could see again.

The WINS says that netbios over TCP/4 is ON but ipconfig at the command prompt says it was off... Damned MIcroCrap anyway.....

So, Nick.... Somewhere in there may be some help. If you are seeing all the other computers on the network with your vista you should be OK for the basic part.

I jumped to Ultimate over Business for the couple of extra features and the $50 difference.

The networking in Vista Home is crap but the Business and Ultimate both support older legacy servers without any additional learning curves. Programs now is a different story.

I copied a number of older legacy applications across to the Vista machine and they all seemed to work fine so far. There were system complaints but only complaints as they were ignored by me.... Networked applications are under test right now to see how far the destruction can go....

Oh.. Well....

NASA doesn't use MS Windows for Mission Critical Anything.. Geee I wonder why??? ::)
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 11:03:39 AM »
Hi Dave,

Yes, I'm seeing all my computors now on my network. The problem was, I had "my" computor set as Home base sorta speak,

and once I released that computor to be just like all the others, all worked. All the office comps are looking at eachother wirelessly now.

So, I have none directly wired to the modom anymore.

Thanks'
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Songman

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
NASA doesn't use MS Windows for Mission Critical Anything.. Geee I wonder why??? ::)

Same reason Detroit doesn't use it to run bus engines? Or GM for the computers in cars? Proprietary software...

NASA may not use Microsoft to actually run the mechanics of the shuttles, but they sure use Microsoft on tons of other stuff... All it takes is a Google search. Everything from deep space photography to mapping the trajectory of the space shuttle. Thank goodness Microsoft is not working on the same budget as NASA. Taxpayers pay for NASA proprietary developers at the rate of $1000 per line of code. Microsoft operating systems cost about 50¢ per line. Can you imagine the cost of a Windows OS to the consumer at NASA's rate. Once again... Thanks Microsoft.

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007, 01:56:36 PM »
OK,

"When I use my admin function to open a window, there seems to be a "leak" so to speak."

I think that's your first mistake ... I always thought that Cat was the admin, she the only one that can open the window!!!!

"Sometimes all that I get is a blue screen if I look up and a green screen if I look down."

I would see my doctor about that ... or may be you're sitting it the driver seat looking out the front window of the bus ... when you look up your looking throw the blue tinted glass and when you look down ... it's the grass man!!!!

"Opening the window itself is actually the main problem, it hangs and won't do anything I ask it too. I eventually have to physically interact with the system and use a screw driver to get it to finish opening the window."

Sounds like you are confusing your computer windoz with your bus windows ... don't use a screw driver on windoz or you could be hurt.

"If I leave the window open too long, I have problems closing it again, it seems to take forever to close unless I use the screwdriver or even a hammer to tap on the case."

Again ... same answer as above ... I think you need some maintenance on your window slides, clean well and lub ... this should take care of the problem

Please Help!

"Oh, and I forgot to mention.... sometimes, even if the window is closed there is leakage of water especially if there is a grey screen."

Were you, Cat and the laptop in your shower together ..... Stay out of the shower with your laptop.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »
OK I am totally computer illiterate! So what I am fixing to say maybe stupid, or maybe not! When I first got involved with the most Awesome motorcoaches made (SETRA) I asked them at their headquarters in Greensboro, NC what they thought in their opinion was the biggest problem SETRA owners had with their coaches? Their answer was "without a doubt 100% people who didn't understand them, working on them!" That meant if yer gonna work on it, you need to understand it!
That is why I work on buses and leave computers to those who understand them! JMHO FWIW!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Hartley

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
OK I am totally computer illiterate! So what I am fixing to say maybe stupid, or maybe not! When I first got involved with the most Awesome motorcoaches made (SETRA) I asked them at their headquarters in Greensboro, NC what they thought in their opinion was the biggest problem SETRA owners had with their coaches? Their answer was "without a doubt 100% people who didn't understand them, working on them!" That meant if yer gonna work on it, you need to understand it!
That is why I work on buses and leave computers to those who understand them! JMHO FWIW!
;D  BK  ;D

Probably types with his thumbs too.... 8) 8)

I use all four fingers and two thumbs ( on the same hand apparently )
Mostly backspacing to correct fumble fingers...

If you can spell "SETRA" you CAN work on them, Just remember it's German engineering with US made parts in the oddest places. Metric or SAE with that beer?

Never can tell about people, But not about buses either the way things usually go..

Dave...

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »
Quote from: DrDave-Reloaded
If you can spell "SETRA" you CAN work on them, Just remember it's German engineering with US made parts in the oddest places. Metric or SAE with that beer?

Never can tell about people, But not about buses either the way things usually go..

Dave...

Dave most of what I've dealt with this is the case! But I have learned for what ever reason(probably could not keep US model production up with demand that some of the early S217 HDH's (some but not ALL '94 + '95 models) were actually European models modified to meet US Customs demands thus there are some European/US  hybrid BASTERDS running around the US and guess who ended up with one of them?

Right now I am plagued with their ignorant euro rear end design trying to replace the almost impossible to replace pinion seal! (it requires 3 special tools that can only be gotten thru Setra or ZF Industries at a cost of $888.30 from Setra or $1049.46 from ZF!) I'm thinking very seriously about replacing the rear end with a 40,000 # dump truck rear end! Which when I told Setra I was thinking about doing so I was told "you can't do that it won't work!" LOL! They have obviously under estimated what an ol' country boy with a smoke wrench and a welder can do!
OK I'm off my soap box for the moment! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Hartley

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2007, 07:54:15 AM »
BK,

That makes me wonder if that guy down in Winter Garden Florida has a setra for parts that might have a rear-end that will fit your bus?

I know he was located near the Setra dealer there, like maybe across the street?

Contact ACE and see if he can remember the name of the dealer of all those parts buses. He went there a while back for another guy who bought one from there.

If you can't find ACE here, Then try my board as he is always a click away there...

Dave....

captain ron

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »
Don't you have a parts bus where you bought the running busses from?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal