Author Topic: Bad couple of days, need help... BROKE DOWN - On Freeway....  (Read 17023 times)

Offline bubbaqgal

Re: Bad couple of days, need help... BROKE DOWN - On Freeway....
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 02:20:58 PM »
Roilyn, I am so sorry to hear about Chief.   That really hurts, especially to have it happen while on the road.  I hope you are able to get back on the road soon and continue your trip.  I was going to call you and extend my sympathy over the phone but I realized that the number is your husbands cell phone so I figured he is probably pretty tied up for the moment.  If you have a phone you can call me if you are bored and would like to chat.  Eight four three four nine six eight two two five.

Where are you headed after you get up and running again?  It would be nice if you guys could come to TN and stop here at our rally and let some of these busnuts see what they can do to help you feel more comfortable finishing your trip.

Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
Sorry to hear about Chief.  Just letting you know that all of us are reading of your plight and praying for you.  I'm sure everything will work out ok.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 02:40:52 PM »
For what it's worth, I live in Wilkes-Barre, PA (in the northeastern part).  If there is anything I can do, please let me know. 

Jimmy Collins
570-239-2534
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline PADoug

• Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
I just called Phil. I live about an hour away. (No bus, but I love them anyway!) He sounded okay, except he quoted car rental at $80.00/day. >:( He couldn't take my number at the time, But I'm looking into car rental rates that are lower near Somerset Greensburg/New Stanton PA). Enterprise is usually pretty good. FWIW: They are about 2 hours from Pittsburgh and 3 hours from Washington, DC-Baltimore. They are in an interesting part of PA if anyone is interested: there is some French and Indian War history...Just a thought or a hint for anyone wishing to get out of town and perhaps visit.... :)

Doug
Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
I just called Phil. I live about an hour away. (No bus, but I love them anyway!) He sounded okay, except he quoted car rental at $80.00/day. >:( He couldn't take my number at the time, But I'm looking into car rental rates that are lower near Somerset Greensburg/New Stanton PA). Enterprise is usually pretty good. FWIW: They are about 2 hours from Pittsburgh and 3 hours from Washington, DC-Baltimore. They are in an interesting part of PA if anyone is interested: there is some French and Indian War history...Just a thought or a hint for anyone wishing to get out of town and perhaps visit.... :)

Doug
Hey Doug, Welcome to the board! I bet you are one of the lurkers who never had a good reason to join before. We are so glad to welcome you and sincerely appreciate the help you are offering one of our members. And keep posting, please!
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 03:55:07 PM »
Hi Doug,

Welcome, from a fellow Brethren MM...

Like Richard said, thanks for the help you offered.

Nick Badame
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Ncbob

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
Sitting here, reading this and wondering what Jackie and I would do if their shoes were on our feet.  Thanks guys, and gals, for keeping their spirits up.  It will all work out in the end...the only solace in a predicament like this is the knowledge that time doesn't stand still...and each moment, although it's full of heartache or
seeming desolation, passes and ahead lies the answers.

Most important, Roilyn, stay safe out there...keep the door closed and don't let anyone in that you don't know. While there are some great people who might offer assistance there are also cretins whose motives aren't the best. 

Most important, stay safe and things will work out for you.  There are a bunch of good BusNuts watching the Board and any who can respond...will.

NCbob

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »
Jimmy & Roilyn,

Sorry to hear of your troubles and sadness.

Hopefully the coach is just in need of a minor fix and you will back on the road soon.

PADoug,

Seems as if theres always somebody nearby when someone has a problem, Thanks for being there for these folks.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 04:47:28 PM »
Hi Doug,

Welcome, from a fellow Brethren MM...

Like Richard said, thanks for the help you offered.

Nick Badame
Me too!
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 07:01:14 PM »
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet and breakdown! 
Was wondering if Good Sam's service would tow your bus to the next truck stop?  Assuming that the truck stop would allow the bus to be dropped off at their location, it would be much more safe than sitting beside the interstate. 
Any word on the cause of the breakdown? 
Did Jimmy check the engine oil after the engine shutdown?  If it had no oil, you probably have a broken external line or fitting, if it's overfull of oil and fuel mixed??  Could be fuel pump seal, injector, jumpers broken or loose.  If your engine is a DDEC controlled engine, it would shut down before low oil pressure caused a problem. 
If it is DDEC, is the engine indicating a code?  Check engine light goes out after 3 seconds? 
This is a situation where a little personal local assistance would be invaluable.
Sorry I cannot do much to help, but, if you have an MC9, 96A3, or 102, with a 6V92, I'm available anytime to discuss your breakdown if you wish a 2nd opinion (or 3rd? ).   I have parts manuals and service manuals for 6V92s.  Be happy to check anything for you. 
704 650 0235.
Hope things get better really fast for ya'll!
Regards, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 07:52:44 PM »
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet and breakdown! 
Was wondering if Good Sam's service would tow your bus to the next truck stop?  Assuming that the truck stop would allow the bus to be dropped off at their location, it would be much more safe than sitting beside the interstate. 
Any word on the cause of the breakdown? 
Did Jimmy check the engine oil after the engine shutdown?  If it had no oil, you probably have a broken external line or fitting, if it's overfull of oil and fuel mixed??  Could be fuel pump seal, injector, jumpers broken or loose.  If your engine is a DDEC controlled engine, it would shut down before low oil pressure caused a problem. 
If it is DDEC, is the engine indicating a code?  Check engine light goes out after 3 seconds? 
This is a situation where a little personal local assistance would be invaluable.
Sorry I cannot do much to help, but, if you have an MC9, 96A3, or 102, with a 6V92, I'm available anytime to discuss your breakdown if you wish a 2nd opinion (or 3rd? ).   I have parts manuals and service manuals for 6V92s.  Be happy to check anything for you. 
704 650 0235.
Hope things get better really fast for ya'll!
Regards, JR

Hi JR,

If I remember correctly, Jimmy has a 6V92 DDEC

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
Hi Doug,

Thanks for jumping in w/the offer to help - and welcome to the board!  I can tell you fit right in here.   ;D

Amen to "staying safe".  It is definitely a scary feeling to be roadside while vehicles are flying by at 70+ mph.  It's a feeling I know I will never forget.  JR has some really good troubleshooting ideas to look at to get a better feel for the situation as to what is going on.  Especially if you are still near the bus & it is not locked up in the shop. 

Jimmy, Roilyn,

I am praying for you guys - please continue to let us know how things are going & if you need any kind of assist.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline PADoug

• Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 09:57:42 PM »
     Thanks folks. It's too late to leave them my number now(12:30AM). But I'll check with the board, and yes, I'll update my profile a bit more.

Nick and Richard, nice to meet you. Obviously I love the East. I've already mentioned in the chatroom to Dallas and Frank that I don't REALLY wanna turn wrenches. Actually, I've grown to appreciate the historic buses, kind of like old cars. I don't think an old 1930 type 250 model 377 would make a good conversion.  ??? (We can start a new thread on where I found a pic of that one, maybe tomorrow.) Maybe it has something to do with sitting in the front seat of the bus all the time when growing up. And no, I wasn't some sort of Hellione that got me "forced" up there. It wasn't a "short bus" either.  :D

My hats are to you guys for saving these beautiful beasts and allowing them to live retirement with some dignity. You obviously have my prayers too. Anything I can do to help...

Doug
Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 05:06:05 AM »
Jimmy and Roilyn,

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet and for your unfortunate experience on the road.  I hope someone is getting you off the side of the road by now.

I'm probably the least qualified to comment here except to offer a comment.  I just signed up for Good Sam in anticipation of buying a conversion.  I asked lots of specific questions re. services available considering size, weight, and so on.  I remember specifically their rep's responses.  I was told that if you are on the side of the road like you are, they will immediately tow you to the nearest SAFE facility such as a campground or garage.  If repair facilities are not available there, they will then tow you AGAIN to a QUALIFIED facility.  Has that been the experience of others on the board?

Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline JT4SC

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 01:50:51 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your help, thoughts and prayers.  We are off the side of the road and into a pretty bad hotel room, but we will be in a better place tomorrow, so we will be fine.  Sorry for not getting you an update last night, it was crazy.  I will share a part of it...

...When we finally found a place to stay last night  I (Jimmy) thought I was sweating really badly on my left side, which was pretty weird but it had been a weird few days so it was par for the course.  When I took my shirt off there was blood everywhere.  Pretty scary.  Turns out I had some how riped off a skin tag and man that thing bled like CRAZY.  Took over 30 minutes to finally get the bleeding to stop.  Crazy.  Anyway we are finally ok and we are resting with our dog Dixie and enjoying the beautiful day in PA.

When we hear what the verdict on the engine is on Tuesday I will post it here.  Until then, thanks for all your help.  My wife Roilyn really appreciated your encouragement and advise while I was gone, so thanks for that.

Jimmy and Roilyn

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal