Author Topic: Where to get Radiator Hose  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Fred Mc

Where to get Radiator Hose
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:46 AM »
I plan to remove the radiator on my GM PD4106 and think it would be a good time to replace the hoses.

Where do you get the rad hoses? Are they pre-formed or do you buy regular straight hose that is flexible?

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
Re: Where to get Radiator Hose
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 07:58:10 AM »
Fred, all of the truck and bus applications that I have seen use curved metal tubing connected with straight hose.  Curved hose has very little reinforcement in it (knit construction) and should never (in my opinion) be used in our application.  The same is true of the so called flexible hose (corrugated). 

You can get the hose you need from NAPA.  They carry brand name hose (mostly Gates) and it is very heavy duty.  The hose is stocked in 6 foot lengths, but they will cut it to some shorter length if you wish (I think - I always by the full length and carry the extra as a spare). 

I very much prefer premium rubber hose over silicone hose for our relatively low mileage application.  Silicone hose is much harder to get to seal than rubber hose.  Further, if you try to reuse silicone hose, you may not ever get it to seal. 

Silicone hose will last forever, but rubber hose will probably last for 10 years or more under our conditions.  In addition, silicone hose is very expensive.  Remember that our temperatures are way below the modern automotive applications and that hose lasts a long time and it is cheap hose.

I was in the rubber industry for 34 years and would be more than happy to review the hose you choose if you look it up on NAPA online. 

No matter which hose you use, be sure to really go over the metal parts with a wire brush (powered is best) and use the spring type clamps.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:09:05 AM »
Yes, spend lots of ca$h on the modern spring type hose clamps. Don't even think about, just open the wallet and let 'er flow!

Money well spent, better clamping, allows for expansion and contraction without biting into the hose like the old cheapy worm gear jobbies. No cold leaks in these colder northern climates. Darn hard to strip them, or otherwise make them fail without being a gorilla with the tightening.

There are a couple under the rads I wish I had done just that.

I am a sinner, and I know that now. Penance continues...

signed:
convert to the Blessed House of Spring Type Hose Clamps

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:03:38 AM »
I agree with using the spring clamps also! But I have been using "Gates Power Grip(s)" Sold by NAPA lately and love them! Slip them over the hose, put the hose on, use heat gun to shrink clamp slightly, start and run engine up to operating temps and wallah fool proof job these clamp totally eliminate cold water leaks! And when brought up to normal engine temps they re-tighten themselves! And they are close to the same price as the spring clamps! FWIW ;D  BK  ;D

PS keep several old style clamps on hand for emergency roadside repairs just in case because the power grips are a 1 time use clamp as it has to be cut off to remove! But I still love them! 
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Sammy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »
I'm old school - I prefer the spring type clamp.
 8)

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »
At Freightliner our optional radiator hose is the Gates Blue Stripe.  It is a much longer lasting hose than the regular hose without the problems of cold weather leaking that silicone presents.  While changing your hoses, make sure you inspect the metal pipes also.  Note uncommon to have one rust out.  A good way to make a new one is with exhaust pipe.  If it is under 2.5", you can have the exhaust guy rebend you a custom shape pipe.  Just prime and paint the outside and it will last the duration.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

belfert

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:40:08 AM »
Most of the hoses in my bus are short pieces of silicone hose between formed metal pipes.  All of the clamps on the silicone hoses are the standard worm gear clamps.

Should I be replacing all of the clamps with spring type clamps or the Power Grip clamps while the coolant is still out and before I reconnect the radiator?

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Brian, I think you will be very sorry if you try to reuse the silicone hose.  I tried it and there was no way that I could keep them from leaking.  Others have had the same problem. 

Gates Green Stripe or Blue Strip hose is among the very best and will seal much better.

Without question, you should use the spring clamps.  I was at Gates when they first introduced the "heat shrink" (my term) clamps.  It always seemed like a good idea, but I could never bring myself to use them.  They have been on the market for 10-15 years, and that would suggest that they are well tested and must work.  Also, if BK likes them, that is good enough for me :).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

belfert

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 01:47:28 PM »
I tried to get the Power Grip clamps at Napa today, but one store couldn't find them at all and another store only stocked two sizes that the local Thermo King buys by the 100s.

I have replaced several of the silicone hoses, but not all of them.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
Most of the hoses in my bus are short pieces of silicone hose between formed metal pipes.  All of the clamps on the silicone hoses are the standard worm gear clamps.

Should I be replacing all of the clamps with spring type clamps or the Power Grip clamps while the coolant is still out and before I reconnect the radiator?

Brian if it were me I would change all the hoses I could and all the clamps too! But that's just me! And you know the saying around here do it your way!
But I say do it now or do it later! It's better to it at home than out on the road!

And as I said I prefer the "Gates Power Grips" they are simple and maintenance free!

FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

belfert

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
I've replaced most of the hoses, but I can't find the Powergrip clamps in stock.  I was kinda hoping to be back on the road Monday, but it may be worth waiting.  It looks like Freightliner dealers may stock the clamps.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
The two hoses that are most likely to be a disaster are the two that are the hardest to deal with, and the previous owner's mechanic would have tried his darnedest to "forget".

Bottom rad hoses in your two stroke MCI.

If you can find the clamps on the rad necks, you'll immediately know why a hired hand would skip them.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal