Author Topic: More poor engineering: replacing water pump on a Dina  (Read 11408 times)

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
Re: More poor engineering: replacing water pump on a Dina
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »
my 41 ft has 39 foot interior space.  I paid $82k for it, from Prevost. Bought it after 9/11, and it had sat on their lot for 2 years.  Paid less than they sold a sister bus to one of their own employees.  operators were all hurting and they all wanted the 45'ers for revenue production.

Somedays I think I did pretty well, others I think I must be crazy and it was WAAAY too much $.  Oh well, I'm still having fun.  Haven't had to put too much into it, although I did do tires and rims, new shocks just cause, and regular maint stuff.  Prevost had replaced the starter and radiator before I bought it.  390k miles
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

belfert

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
I thought the Viaggio was a 40 footer?  or 41 or something...not a 45 footer?

I also forgot what you ended up paying.....I had also thought in a previous thread you had mentioned what you have put into it so far maint wise....perhaps my mistake

Like Bryce said, 43 feet.  The Dina seems to have more space taken up in back by the motor than a MC-9 or similar since the Series 60 is tall.  The floor raises up about 6 inches and then goes to about 3 feet tall at 12 inches or so from the rear.  There is also an area in the rear on the driver's side that is about 15 inches tall to accommodate the radiator underneath.  I was able to work around most of the raised area in my floor plan.  I would say the clear floor space is similar to a 40 footer.

I did mention my maint costs in TomC's thread about buses being expensive.  I wasn't complaining, but rather trying to be realistic for someone who buys a bus without the skills to do the brakes and such.  Probably half the expense was due to neglect by the previous owner and the rest routine stuff that needs to be done periodically.

I wish brake drums for my Dina cost $100 each.  JD at C&J ordered the drums for about $300 each from MCI.  They did not fit and MCI insisted the part number was correct for a Dina.  JD found the right drums in Chicago, but they cost $600 each.  I have Q brakes and JD said Q brake drums have to be replaced instead of resurfaced.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »
Quote from: belfert
I would say the clear floor space is similar to a 40 footer.

Brian although I don't think your bus has quite the floor space of a 45'er you definitely have more than a 40'er! OK for starters as a seated coach is has 52 large seats, and is still quite ROOMY, even with the area in the back that is behind the last seats that lots of people put coolers and stuff on! Everytime I drive one of Bobby & Norma's I constantly hear folks talking about how ROOMY it is! And have to agree it is a very comfortable arrangement with plenty of aisle space and easy to move around in (one of the easiest I've ever been in!). FWIW ;D  BK  ;D

PS besides you'd get more done to it if you were out working on it instead of playing on the computer! Ahhha didn't think we'd notice did you?! LOL!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Sammy

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Jim, great price you paid for a low mileage Prevost.
390K miles, it's just broken in..................
Best of luck with your toy.
Sammy 8)

belfert

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
PS besides you'd get more done to it if you were out working on it instead of playing on the computer! Ahhha didn't think we'd notice did you?! LOL!

Hey, I've been out under the bus on my back for two hours trying to get the danged air dryer out so I can replace the cartridge.  I figured it would easier to do with the air dryer out of there, but I can't get the one air fitting loose. 

I came in the house to take a short break and to find my torch to try and heat the fitting a little bit.

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
All this talk about poor engineering, difficulty in replacing items, etc makes my old MC-8 look simple.  I mean, my water pump is right there in front.  Sure, some things will be difficult to access... the air compressor, power steering pump, and alternator are all on the back (far side) of the engine.  I can crawl in there and get to most parts, though.  The radiators are simple to remove and install with a helper.  Sure, I may not get the best fuel economy, but it'll take a lot of miles to make up the difference in price of the bus.  Of course, an old, worn out 8V-71 can certainly be a P.I.A.  As to brands, I wanted an MCI due to the fact that there are so many around - I see -8's and 96A3's around town regularly doing shuttle service.  The power may be lacking, it may be only 96" wide, and it definitely doesn't look even slightly modern, but for a first time 'bus buyer', I certainly can't bitch (much) about my old tech. MC-8 and 8V-71.

David

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal