Author Topic: 24V to 12V Toad?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline ttomas

24V to 12V Toad?
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to hook up a 12 volt toad to a 24 volt bus? I'm going to be pulling a boat trailer. Thanks.  T Tomas

belfert

Re: 24V to 12V Toad?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
Craig Shepard shows how to build a relay box for a 12 volt toad on a 24 volt bus at http://bus.gumpydog.com

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:26:13 AM »
Here is a drawing of the relay panel I built for our bus. For a 24 volt bus the relays need to have 24 volt coils. The wire colors shown for the toad match the standard trailer light wire colors.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
Or another option would be the voltage regulators sold by Radio Shack  They reduce 24VDC to 12VDC, small and $1.59.

Not available at the local store but available on the internet. They are only good for an amp. apiece so you would need one for each ckt.

They can be paralleled for twice the amperage.

I bought some for my LED marker/clearance lights so I wouldn't have to change the tail marker on the rear of the coach.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:59:05 PM »
Relays / separate circuits are a good idea because it isolates the 12 volt from the bus systems.   
That way if there is a short or something goes wrong with the trailer, it does not take your bus lights with it.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

maria-n-skip

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
ttomas,

Without getting into to the tech. details of one versus the other......
 I went the relay route but included one extra relay on the brake so I can run up to a standard
 trailer brake controller. Stringing the wires and buying the brake controller is on my list.
  The list just seems to be growing,,:)

Just a thought

Skip

Offline ttomas

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 01:42:11 PM »
Thanks, we are leaving Sunday and I don't have time to find relays but will try. right now I am going to rig a brake light and a running light to put on the trailer.I will run a brake wire and a running lite wire each to it's own light. that is unless someone does not recomend it. thanks again. Tomas

Offline Dave C

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 04:07:34 PM »
Do you back the bus down a ramp?   How do you launch?  Or do you have a hitch on the front of bus and launch.  Wondering how you would not high center or otherwise get the bus stuck. 

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 04:52:43 PM »
I built a relay converter and added a stop lite converter as bus has seperate directionals.  It fits nicely in the rear junction box where all the light connections are. just a short run to the rear of the bus. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »
Here's the details of the one's I build. The schematic is there.  http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Electrical/Tail_Light_Converter/tail_light_converter.htm

I can't advertise them here, because they're over the $50 limit, but I've sold several of them this year. Pretty easy to build if you have the time to put into it. I use the same relays that are already in the MCI buses so you only have to carry one kind of spare.
They're a little more expensive than some of the others that I've seen some use, but they're very reliable.

Craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline ttomas

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 06:14:28 PM »
Dave, it is a Kayak trailer and we will not have to back it up. We 'll be hauling 10 or 11 of them.
      Thanks for all the info. everyone.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 06:49:14 PM »
Here's the details of the one's I build. The schematic is there.  http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Electrical/Tail_Light_Converter/tail_light_converter.htm

I can't advertise them here, because they're over the $50 limit, but I've sold several of them this year. Pretty easy to build if you have the time to put into it. I use the same relays that are already in the MCI buses so you only have to carry one kind of spare.
They're a little more expensive than some of the others that I've seen some use, but they're very reliable.

Craig

Craig, no reason you could not put some information in your profile about what you offer and then nuts could come to you. Something like Nick does.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
Thanks Richard, but I'm good. I'm not trying to make a living off this. I don't make a lot of money on them, and do it primarily as a favor, and for just a bit of extra hobby cash. I'm planning to modify the page on my site to indicate they are available to those who would rather buy one than build one, and will continue to offer the page as questions come up regarding the subject. I shouldn't think that would violate the board rules, as I've basically made the schematic, build procedures, and parts list available to anyone who wishes to build one for themselves. I've found recently, though, that some just don't want to build one, and would rather pay me for one already made. That's fine with me. I just purchased enough materials and components to build about 10 of them which will probably last a couple years.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

maria-n-skip

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »

Gumpy,

I really like your set-up but I do have a question.

Is my concept of adding another relay for the electric brake control over kill or even needed?
  My thought was to keep the circuit segregated....FWIW.

Skip

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
I don't think you'd need a relay. I've had a few people ask me to add an extra couple terminals on the board so they could
route the brake controller output to the board, and ultimately out through the trailer wiring and plug. I believe that if your
brake controller is connected to 12v, that is all you would need to do, and no relay would be required. Many controllers have
a pendulum that moves as the vehicle slows, and activates the controller. If your controller needs 12v brake signal, you can
use one of the outputs off the relay board. Also, some brake controllers put out a variable voltage, so you wouldn't be able
to put a relay in between it and the toad.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal