Author Topic: Spicer Shifter Fork Stud  (Read 4924 times)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Spicer Shifter Fork Stud
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:20:30 PM »
Discovered something interesting on my spicer this weekend.

There are two studs in the top of the transmission that the shifting forks pivot on.

It looks as if they are torqued into the top and then the forks and there associated spacers and etc are attached with a nut, then a cotter pin goes through the top of the bolt and nut.

I was traveling this weekend and after about an hour on the road, all of a sudden when I up shifted I was stuck in third.  Long story short, the stud had backed out of the top of the transmission and was cocked over.  Threaded back in as tight as I could, continued on my way.

After taking a good look at it at my destination, I was able to see that the stud had been replaced once.
I also noticed that the 1-2 stud had a small bolt that went through a hole in the bottom of the stud in the transmission.  The 3-4 stud had the hole in the transmission case but not in the stud.

Question, Is the small bolt and hole standard or is this something someone thought up?

I am going to pull the stud for the 3-4 tommorrow and drill the hole and install the bolt, but curious.

As a side note I had noticed it seemed harder to hit 3rd gear on my last outing, the shifting fork  looked fine sitting there, but pulling on it showed the problem.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Re: Spicer Shifter Fork Stud
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »
Any luck with this yet Cliff?  If not, anybody out there have any ideas for our fellow bus-nut on his tranny?

Hope this helps,
Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline tekebird

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:25:09 PM »
got a part number

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 04:20:49 AM »

Phil, Thanks

Let me rephrase my question:

I have a GMC with a V-Drive and four speed spicer transmission, on the studs that the shifter forks sit on the transmission, is there a small bolt on the bottom that retains the stud from unwinding itself?

The bolt is not shown in my parts manual!

Regardless, I am putting it back, but trying to find out if this was a homebrew fix, spicer update or not, mainly because it worked good on the shifter stud that it is was used on properly.

So, If you have one of these, a quick look will answer my question!

Thanks

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Ncbob

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:45:22 AM »
Obviously, Cliff I cannot add any wisdom to your dilemma..but if you have a Parts Manual for that old relic  :D it should show you every standard part designed for the shifter mechanism.

I don't know how explicit the GM Maintenance Manuals are for information in this area either but I know MCI's books are a bit shallow as far as detailed information is concerned.

No doubt one of the other 4905 owners will come in and offer enough information to solve your problem.  A little lock-tite wouldn't hurt either. ;D

Bob

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:19:23 AM »
Cliff,
    I have an earlier version of the same trans (my bus is a 1968)  and it has no bolts locking the studs.  Also my parts manual doesn't show any.  The stud part number is: 2425856.  There are bushings on the studs in the holes of the  levers the bushing Part number is: 2425857.  I've had mine hang up due to worn bushings allowing interference between the 1-2 lever and the 3-4 lever.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the information and feedback.

It will be interesting to see if any other GMC owners have this setup.  :-\

Cliff

Mark Twain

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:44:16 PM »
Well, I was lucky and punched out the pin that the PO or someone had put in there to hold the stud in with.

I found that when the transmission was rebuilt or replaced the correct spacer washer was not used.

I replaced the spacer with the correct size and reassembled with my new bolt/pin stud retention and it shifts as smooth as a baby's (you know what)   ;D

I also noticed when I had the 3-4 shift fork off that the lower spacer on the 1-2 was also too small.  It didn't show it in the book, but the way it hit the shifting rod led me too believe that.  I made a new spacer and installed it.  Shifted better than ever, even though the 1-2 was really never a problem.

Anyway, if you have a spicer you may want to check this out.  It just might save you a little trouble out on the road.

Cliff

Mark Twain

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »
I just printed the two pages out and there is no lock pin on the studs that I can see in exploded view or the parts break down HTH

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal