Author Topic: Desperate  (Read 7501 times)

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
Re: Desperate
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »
Jerry,
what ever happened to the poor guy that had the bus fire and how is he doing and also does he need any help??  I lost track of him in the rest of the post here. 
Gary
Gary

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 05:27:35 AM »
Jerry,

I would be happy to share any thoughts on what I did to get going with my own experience with the
Muffler setup and failure.  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=1218.0
From your description of Jim's fire with the window breaking, it sounds like he had a hell of a problem.

Mine ended up burning a hole about 1' round, but mostly smoldered and put out a lot of smoke.  I did not have any major flames.

The idea of the heat shield is what I did to get home from NC.  Anyone working in this area will quickly find out what a pain it is. You will be laying on the floor, arms fully extended through a 1' X 1' hole.

Even if I had a good exhaust, I would at a minimum put a heat shield over it, but it is NO guarantee to protect you from the hot 700+ degree gases of the exhaust.  Just a "feel better" measure.

If you have a GMC that has the exhaust tucked up under the floor, you need to take serious consideration into the muffler setup that is on the last page of the link above.  The key is getting them out from up under the floor.  Around 600.00 in parts and no more worries of a fire from that muffler.  Cheap really.
The only drawback to what I did is the mufflers are more vulnerable to damage than when they were tucked up neatly under the chassis.  I have been about 8000 miles with my new ones, through many off roads in state parks and all over.  So far, so good.

By the way, it took me three times the time to fix the floor that was burnt, than to completely remove and replace my single exhaust into duels.  Make your choices, live with your results!

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

Just got in today but spent the night in a park in Clinton. If i knew any thing i would have stayed and tryed to help. Just no way to get email in the park that i was in. Know about "wiring fires".

Uncle ned

be sure and let us know how thing come out. gary if you start let me know.
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline tekebird

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »
in these failures didn't anyone notice the large increase in engine noise?  I had one of my 4104 mufflers fail on the way to go look at the MC-8 that I bought.  It was obviously louder after the comprimise of the muffler. and that was from only 3 cyl.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
Jerry,

Any updates on Jim and his situation?

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Ncbob

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »
As Jerry and Cliff have noted, it is by far too many of these muffler failures that have placed our BusNuts and their families in jeopardy.

Why don't you GM guys have a gathering of the minds at one of the upcoming rallies and pool your information in the form of a flier, or something like that, which can be disseminated to other GM owners of the prospect of the dangers of not inspecting these mufflers on an ongoing basis? Perhaps Mak and others could publish warnings.

So far, it's been fires. But how about the possibility of CO (Carbon Monoxide) poisoning to anyone in the rear of the bus. That's a topic we haven't touched on here....and it's very difficult to detect...unless the Medics are aware of the possibility.   Imagine your Grandchildren playing with Grandma on the bed, or Mama taking a nap with the pet while you're tooling down the road...oblivious to what might be happening back there?

Time to take this thread a step farther, in my humble opinion........

NCbob

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
Here here. I think a Monoxide detector would be a very cheap form of life insurance along with a standard smoke detector. One set at each end would be better still. 8)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 04:49:32 AM »
    I agree with NCBob, All RVs should have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well as a propane detector if propane is on board. 
    If installing detectors, remember that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be near the ceiling. CO has a vapor density that is lighter than air. Propane detectors should be near the floor as propane's vapor density is heavier than air.  CO detectors can also save you from a neighbors generator exhaust fumes as well given wind direction, open windows, etc.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:17 AM »
Here is an update on this bus. This was copied from the GM busnuts Yahoo BB    Jack

Mike Hill,
burned out 4108

Mike if you see this would you be interested in purchasing my 4108?
It has a rebuilt 8v71, out of frame by Ozark diesel, less than 40,000 miles on it. A recored radiator, rebuilt starter, air compressor, four almost new Bandags on drive, less than 3,000 mi. two new steer tires, less than 600 mi. two new 8d batteries, an air throttlejust installed. A good used bath room, smoke damage only, a good small frig. an 18" dish washer, 4 burner gas range w/oven, single bowl stainless s sink.
She is located in Clinton, TN on 25w south. It caught on fire  entering TN on I 75 headed south going up jelico hill. Muffler had a hole and caught the rear floor on fire. Firemen broke out the rear window, large one, and both pains of the sliding windows rear drivers side. Ceiling in bed room burnt off, extensive smoke damage throughout the bus. Thanks for your consideration.  Jim  4108
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal