Author Topic: Best low profile roof air  (Read 8978 times)

Offline jdr

Best low profile roof air
« on: May 19, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
I am interested in reliable,well built and quiet low profile roof air conditioners. Looking for opinions on what is good or not good for a 1980 mci9. jdr boise id

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Best low profile roof air
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
JDR,

The Dometic Penguin is the lowest profile in the 15,000 btu.

As far as well built, I dont think any of the brands build them well !!

They are pre engineered to only last 5 to 7 years. If they didn't, they would go out of busisness quickly.

Find the brand that fits your needs

Nick Badame-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:26:23 PM »
I have three Coleman 13,500btu standard height A/C's that I originally installed when I first started converting my bus in 1994.  They have worked flawlessly and work well (they are my only A/C system and two will keep things cool at 100 degrees going down the road-40ft transit with BIG Peninsula windows).  The Coleman only has a two speed fan which isn't quiet enough for night time use.  I would like to have three speeds, and the Duotherms have that with the Penquin being the low profile.  It is available with either ducted or standard diffuser, with diffuser mounted controls or controls remote mounted on the wall.  The lowest profile A/C now made is the Carrier.  Since Carrier is who invented A/C in the first place, I think they know what they are doing.  Anyone using one of the new low profile Carrier's?  How does it work? How quiet is it and does it have a 3 speed fan?  Thanks, Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:42:11 AM »
I have the Carrier low profiles and I am very hapy with them so far, but I don';t ahve enought experience with them to really rate them yet.  I do like their looks a lot, they are so low they do not look like a Fast Fred carbunklle.  The compressor does not make any noise, all you hear is fan noise from the moving air.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 07:53:09 AM »

One thing I like about the Carrier low profiles is the "sling Ring" on the fan that trys to get energy recovery by re-evaporating the condensate that usually runs down and makes a puddle.  You pay for the energy to condense the water out of the air, might as we'll use it to help by splashing on your hot side coils.

- Definitely get the slow speed fan
- Spring for the lower amp draw option if available

I have Two Colemans that I have yet needed to run both on high at the same time.  I believe they are the lower amp draw,  I'll have to check the model number with the next camping world flier.

My $.02
Let us know what you pick
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Gary W

• Gary's Bus
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 10:24:30 AM »
I have  two of the Carrier low profiles units on the new coach only 7 1/2 in. high.  Very quiet and cool very well.

Gary

Offline jlaney

• prevost one
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 08:02:18 PM »
hello from tyler tx
i went with the mark 111 colman standard height, don't believe the price in the  news ads
they may say 499.00 but believe me they will charge another 100.00 for the inside grill and
controls. plus tax, plus installation, about 638.00 total . if you are using the duct systerm you
may save the grill price. thanks jt laney
j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 04:37:06 AM »
     As JT stated, make sure what is included when you start talking price. Typically there is a price for the roof AC, but that does not include the interior piece that is neccessary to install the AC. These are priced separately and are available as a standard or ducted version.
    I just installed 2 of the new Carrier low profiles with heat strip on a 102A3. The 3rd AC to go on this bus will be a Carrier low profile with a heat pump. Carrier is awating final UL approval before releasing these units from the warehouse. Just installed these units so not much use yet, but 2 units cools a 102A3 in Florida (This bus has a lot of single pane glass). I find the noise level acceptable, louder than our basement AC, but still able to carry on a conversation or listen to readio/TV.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 04:45:10 AM »
JDR,

If you can go ducted, do it.

The noise difference between the too is considerable.

I have two of the standard profile(Them son of a guns came out with the low just after I bought mine) and I can't even hear the rear air while sitting in the parlor. 

And the parlor air is just background noise.

As others have stated, get the whole package price with everything.  I ended up getting mine shipped to my door cheaper than I could find anywhere locally.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 07:49:31 AM »

One thing I like about the Carrier low profiles is the "sling Ring" on the fan that trys to get energy recovery by re-evaporating the condensate that usually runs down and makes a puddle.  You pay for the energy to condense the water out of the air, might as we'll use it to help by splashing on your hot side coils.

- Definitely get the slow speed fan
- Spring for the lower amp draw option if available

I have Two Colemans that I have yet needed to run both on high at the same time.  I believe they are the lower amp draw,  I'll have to check the model number with the next camping world flier.

My $.02
Let us know what you pick

Sounds suspiciously like a drip mist cooling system for a radiator!
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 03:49:54 PM »
The Carrier AC is supposed to sling the condensate onto the condenser coill to do 2 things 1. eliminate the condensate running down the side of the bus, 2. help the AC operate slighlty more efficiently by cooling the condenser.  Sounds great in heory, but I do not how well this works in the real world.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal