Author Topic: Any tips to temporarily seal a window?  (Read 2798 times)

belfert

Any tips to temporarily seal a window?
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »
One of my Motion/Peninsula windows needs to be resealed, but I don't have time to pull it and do it properly before I leave in a week.  What type of caulk could I use around the perimeter of the window exterior that wouldn't be impossible to remove later?

It has been raining all day long here and water is coming in pretty good around the window.  Of course, I can't fix it until it dries up tomorrow or this weekend.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Re: Any tips to temporarily seal a window?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:27:46 PM »
hello

Something easy to remove. Some cheap silicone caulk will work fine, just goob it in there, and deal with it later. Or not?

Toothepaste also works in a pinch...

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
Brian,

Silicone will not stick to anything wet.  I would suggest using a piece of plastic with really good duct tape (100mph tape) already bonded.  Get a dry towl and some help and wipe the paint as you presss the taped plastic on to the buss.  The real good tape will stick to a slightly damp paint/metal.  You need to have some of that tape around as it has a thousand uses.  Keep it in a zip loc bag between uses.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »
NAPA has some stuff I use frequently called Window Weld, comes in a caulking gun tube and sets up pretty quick in hot weather.

Comes in black only and is pricey at $10 or $11 a tube but it works, and better than silicone.  Hard to remove from skin/hands, use  paint thinner/reducer.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »
Seal 'n Peel.  very cheap a little smelly, made to temporarily seal house windows for winter.   This is not structural/adhesive, but it is sticky and should keep the wind out.   

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:26:05 AM »
Seal 'n Peel.  very cheap a little smelly, made to temporarily seal house windows for winter.   This is not structural/adhesive, but it is sticky and should keep the wind out.   

Try a cake of hand soap first. I used to use that to seal gas tanks on old cars and it goes on a wet surface and sticks. 
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Hartley

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 06:46:03 AM »
You can use Butyl Rubber, comes in a caulking tube or in a squeeze tube.
It never really hardens and can be removed later as needed.

Most hardware stores sell it. Used for sealing around window glass. usually home use.

Dave...
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »
Recommend getting GE best gold silicone (at Home Depot in different colors)-just make sure everything is dry, blown out with an air nozzle.  Apply around the window (use WAY less then you think) and smooth with your finger.  As long as the silicone has a thin layer covering the leak, that's all you need.  Too many think that huge globs of silicone will make it seal better.  If it weren't for silicone and plastic ties, my bus would probably fall apart.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

belfert

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »
You can use Butyl Rubber, comes in a caulking tube or in a squeeze tube.
It never really hardens and can be removed later as needed.

Butyl is what I used to seal the windows with originally.  Only one of six windows is leaking and needs to be pulled and resealed.

I was actually going to use leftover butyl from the original install to fix this, but the tube wasn't sealed well and was partially cured.  I don't really like butyl for this since it doesn't cure, but I'll pick up another tube when I go to the store today.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal