Author Topic: Potty talk  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
Potty talk
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »
The boss was telling me that she wants to look for toilets, what does everyone use or prefer for a toilet?
Since I've never planted my keester on an rv toilet I know nothing about them except that I'd prefer china or porcelain or whatever they are made of.
What I don't know is anything about how well one works over others, do I need a spray handle too and is foot flush better than an electric flush? Which models will accept a regular house seat? I know that there are some past threads on this but nothing that really stands out and makes tons of sense to me.

Anyone wanna tutor the new boy on toilets? What are your thoughts?

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Re: Potty talk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »
Various models of the Seland brand is hard to beat, bang for buck.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
OOPs Sealand.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »
I have the Sealand China and we are happy with it.

Depends on the size of the usee's from what I have read in other discussions.

I am 6' and 230 and fit just fine. ;)

I bought it with the sprayer attachment, my 1st mate says it was worth every penny.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »

Depends on the size of the usee's from what I have read in other discussions.

Cliff

Yep, I guess it sort of depends on your butt. I'm just average at 5'11 and 185.

I guess we would just want something that will work right and look decent and last for a while. On the learning curve I'm climbing a steep hill but I'll get there. 
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »
Regular household commodes work just fine,
1.6 gal per flush. (this can be reduced a little)

Rv commodes are usually .6 gal per flush, unless you get carried away with the spray hose.

Household commodes were $26 at Lowes, Sealand's cheapest I could find was about $90.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:26:46 PM »
Hose with sprayer attachment was one of the most appreciated additions I made to DML.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »
I have the Sealand china bowl with custom platinum (light gray) color. It uses a standard sized toilet seat, and has a built in hand hose to wash down.  But- I feel that the bowl is not steep enough and sometimes have to break up the solids to encourage them to go down-course being 6'3" and 305lbs doesn't help.  Been trouble free-but now have to overhaul the ball valve since it doesn't hold water-just leaks out. Not bad for 12 years of service.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Boise Belle

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
I concur with TomC.  We have the Sealand 510, excellent quality, and the company bent over backwards to try and remedy the problems.  TomC says the bowl is not steep enough.  The back and sides are fine, but the front, is almost flat.  And the original, and the second replacement, actually had a low spot (it puddled),  where a slope was suppose to be.  The third bowl, has a slope you cannot verify by merely looking at it.  When you pour water on the front area, it will barely drain into the bowl.  So if anything other than liquid lands in the area, it forcefully has to be moved.  Thats probably the popularity of the "Hose with sprayer Attachment". 

Does anyone know if Sealand has redone their Cast, maybe they have corrected the slope??

But to reiterate, they gave excellent customer service.
1966 MCI 5A
Meridian, Idaho

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 01:28:47 AM »
 There are two important dimensions on a toilet. From the floor to the seat, couple inches higher here makes a big difference. From the waterline to the family jewels, the shallow bowels can make life uncomfortable.
 I had a Sealand, it is a good quality toilet. I now have a Aqua Magic style plus. It is a good quality, comfortable toilet with a deeper bowl. I no longer worry about "Mr Happy" going for a dip  when I use it!!
 The glazing also appears to be of a better quality, it is eaiser to keep clean with no need for a sprayer.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:54:04 AM »
Dave,
On my only trip, (100 miles) I never got to try mine out in the past five years, maybe I'll try it out today and make believe we are on the road!!  He he.  Every once in a while I'll sit in my driver seat and make believe I am driving down the road a piece, darn ole wooden blocks don't go very far.  I try to imitate the sound of a DD but spit all over myself when I do.  I got bigger gaps in my teeth now, getting old I am told, said that before didn't I??

Dave, you are doing right in asking any information from the experts on this bb'd.  Asking a salesman at a store will probably have him / her try to sell you a HD 5 gallon bucket with a cover is probably what you will get from them.  A little morning humor there now, I am sure sales people at Camping World will help you tell you of all the bells and whistles they now offer.
I would make a final decision from information received from your bb'd post 1st. though.

Gary
Gary

Offline David Anderson

• South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »
I have a Thedford.  5 years now and am happy with it.  I is a china bowl with a good glaze.  To avoid leaving skid marks on the bowl it has a second foot valve that adds more water if needed.  This did away with the need for a sprayer.

Gee, this is just not as fun to talk about as engines, but important none the less.
Kind of a yuck factor here.   :-*

David

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 04:36:50 PM »
 If you will be using your bus for the occasional weekend, there is nothing wrong with an inexpensive plastic toilet. Useing the bus on a regular basis it is worth upgrading to a china toilet.
 Another thing I like about the Style plus, the flush pedal can be pressed lightly to add water to the bowl for a #2. It is at the front and can be used when sitting. This also allows disposing of the product a little at a time.
 Not as much fun as engins but definaltly costs less.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline Don4107

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »
Something that helps things 'slip and slide' when needed is a spray bottle with a fairly heavy mix of liquid soap.  A quick spray before use is all it takes. 

I vote for the china head too.  Have had both plastic and china in various rigs, no comparison.  Taller and bigger bowl is better too.  Sealand head in old bus adds water to bowl if you lift up on handle with your toe, opens (flushes) with water if you step down on handle.  Works great. Simple.

RV head uses little water.  Plan a way to add water to the tank if you use separate black/gray tanks.

Don 4107
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

Dreamscape

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 05:19:32 PM »
Gary, You need to seriously get your DD fix!  ;) Ask someone who owns a bus and go drive it. You need some help man! Have you seen all the posts on BNO about racing DD's???????????? Save the movies so you can turn it up when you work on that bus of yours and it will make you move faster!  ::)

Dave,
On my only trip, (100 miles) I never got to try mine out in the past five years, maybe I'll try it out today and make believe we are on the road!!  He he.  Every once in a while I'll sit in my driver seat and make believe I am driving down the road a piece, darn ole wooden blocks don't go very far.  I try to imitate the sound of a DD but spit all over myself when I do.  I got bigger gaps in my teeth now, getting old I am told, said that before didn't I??

This post has been very enlightening for those of us who have never used an RV toilet. I only used ours sparingly at the Roundup, was afraid to do #2. Nice to have the potty house close to the bus!

I currently have a standard RV type plastic and I hate it. Old and ugly. Will go to china someday so this thread is interesting.

Paul