Author Topic: Potty talk  (Read 8821 times)

Offline JimC

Re: Potty talk
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 06:04:46 PM »
Dave,
I had a cheaper plastic Sealand and it developed a leak so I replaced it with the Thetford Aqua-magic Plus and I like it considerably more. Like the other post said you press lightly for more water and then flush, but what I like is the china bowl, and the fact the it sprays water around the bowl instead of dribbling water into the bowl like my Sealand did.
Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline Dale MC8

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »
"Something that helps things 'slip and slide' when needed is a spray bottle with a fairly heavy mix of liquid soap.  A quick spray before use is all it takes." 

Rumor has it, haven't tried it myself, that using a spray can of "PAM" or some such as a pretreatment of the bowl works wonders. YMMV.
Dale MC8
Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »
"Something that helps things 'slip and slide' when needed is a spray bottle with a fairly heavy mix of liquid soap.  A quick spray before use is all it takes." 

Rumor has it, haven't tried it myself, that using a spray can of "PAM" or some such as a pretreatment of the bowl works wonders. YMMV.
Dale MC8

Yes, PAM works great for that application. Still need the sprayer sometimes. And for those who do not know, on most of the units you can use your toe to lift up the flush lever and it will add water to the bowl.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »
I'm really glad that I asked this question. Not only did I get ideas of models but got extra tips as well.
Who would have thought to buy a can of Pam to keep by the John?

Thanks everyone!

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »
Tom C. try this, put a small amount of water in the bowl and add some of the chemical that you normaly use to charge the tank, let stand, when dry, spray the bowl and ball with silicone spray. I have brought mine back several times with this method over the ten years Ive had it. It seems that particals get trapped between the ball and seal, the chemical seems to eat this away and leaves the seal clean and functional, the silicone spray prevents skid marks and lubes the ball.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »
I have the ceramic RV toilet, the Thetford Aria.  A little pricy, but a great toilet.  easy to clean although it keeps itself very clean to start with.  Uses a small amount of water.  runs on 12 volt and has an "automatic flush cycle that is pretty efficient, or it can be set to "manual" to use even less water depending on how long you hold the button.  Has the bigger seat, and is nice looking too.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
These threads never cease to amaze me.  ;) Mine is a cheapo plastic Thetford that has a hand lever on the back left side. With all this talk, I REALLY AM scared to use it!! But when push comes to shove, I guess I'll have a can of PAM, spray bottle of soapy water and a spay can of silicone ready to douche it all with.  ;D Probably have a puddle in the bottom with all of it!

I guess I'll be keeping a new toilet in mind.
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 08:06:38 PM »
Relax Chaz, your plastic pottie may well outlast all the rest!   My spousal component still asks if you have any new pix posted...the answer of course is NO!   ;)   I offered to don my bibs and beat the hell out of something with a hammer.  Went nowhere.   :-[
Back to the subject at hand...anyone that wants to test out potties for fit...just run down to the nearest RV dealer.  There's a lot full of possibilities. 
I've got a cheapo Thetford...relatively cheap at $150 bucks.  Its a foot flush, full height, long bowl, solid, never leaked, minimal water flush, and it's has some sort of Pre-Pammed bowl that absolutely nothing fails...nevermind.  I had the same plastic throne in a fiver for 12 years and it never burped.  Nada, zip, problems.  Same with our 7 year old Thetford in the bus.   Most RV pots will flush with less than a quart of water. This isn't an issue if you are in a campground with full hookups.  It is a problem in the boonies.  Be very careful with house pots.  The tank on a home styled pottie will move the unit another foot forward.  RV units are tankless, thus sit against the wall. 
The key to a good flushing RV pot is related to locating the pottie as directly above the black holding tank as possible.  This requires some planning.
China is nice, but Sealand is a complicated item compared to a standard RV unit.  My experience (good many years in the marine industry) indicates a higher maintenance cost.   Sealand has sunk their share of boats...alas, another subject...ain't gonna sink any buses.   
One thing that will damage all potties is freezing weather.  Always drain and blow out, or antifreeze potties when winterizing.
My dos centavos, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
The key to a good flushing RV pot is related to locating the pottie as directly above the black holding tank as possible.  This requires some planning.
China is nice, but Sealand is a complicated item compared to a standard RV unit.  My experience (good many years in the marine industry) indicates a higher maintenance cost.   Sealand has sunk their share of boats...alas, another subject...ain't gonna sink any buses.   
One thing that will damage all potties is freezing weather.  Always drain and blow out, or antifreeze potties when winterizing.
My dos centavos, JR

I'll second that, would that make quattro centavos?   Put an Isolation valve on the toilet for when the cold snap sneaks up on you.   I have a sealand with that now so I don't have to fix the valve right off the bat and can still use the toilet.  I saw the sprayer at the RV show and figured I had to have one of those redneck Bidets since i was replumbing anyway.  I didn't know what it was for ???.  My bus is my first RV.

Use PEX!!!!!  to plumb with

let us know what you come up with.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 10:43:23 PM »
After thinking about the Aria I decided on the Aqua Magic Plus, firstly, it costs less which is really a good thing for me right now and secondly I read a thread on RVnet about the controller board going haywire and flooding the rig. I decided cheaper and keeping it simple would be good for my first john. I'm sure my keester will be pleased and I also noted the tip on the Pam, who would have known?

Many thanks for the input everyone, I'm learning quite a bit and thanks for putting up with me and my newbie questions. It may be elementary to some but to me it's all new and I'm happy and thankful to learn.

Many more tips and tricks to learn but I've got time.

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 05:55:02 AM »
I had a Sealand in one of my first rigs and hated the flush. The plastic thetford in the next rig worked fine for 8 years but the water valve started to leak on the floor and had to replace that. I put the style plus in the bus and like the spray flush as really does a quick wash down with very little water. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal