Author Topic: Aluminum Wheel Polish  (Read 3494 times)

Dreamscape

Aluminum Wheel Polish
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
I picked a metal polish product at TBR last week and thought I would share the results with you.

It is called Wicked Metal Polish. My opinions are as follows. Yes it will require some work, but not that bad. I estimate it took 30 min. to clean one front wheel. Because there was a lot of oxidation I went over some spots a couple of times. It did leave a waxy slick surface when finished. I dribbled some on the tire, it wiped off and left no mark.
I assume the next time I do that wheel it will go much faster, and not have to do it but once a year or when necessary.
The first photo is of the other front wheel, it looked very similar. The second is of the wheel when finished.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape

cody

Re: Aluminum Wheel Polish
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:00:53 PM »
Paul, that looks great, I'll have to try it, I use Mothers Wax now and it's a pain to use, I wonder how your wax will work with the Mothers Wax ball I've got.  I'll have to check around up here and see if I can find it.

Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 04:40:09 PM »
Cody,

If you can't find it send me a personal email and I will give you the information. I got it from Rick West, he sells it and attends some rallies as a vendor. They drive a PD 4104.

Paul

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 04:45:30 PM »
If you can't find it locally  http://www.wickedproducts.com/wickedshop/Scripts/  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

cody

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:20:12 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Ummm - Paul, your "unpolished" rim looks better than every one of mine - you trying to make the rest of us feel inferior or what?
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Dreamscape

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:02:09 AM »
Ncbob,

Just trying to find something for you to do!  ;D

Paul

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:28:08 AM »
I have the greatest aluminum wheel polish ever devised. It's called stainless steel full wheel cover. No rubbing required, just wash and wipe dry.
Good luck, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 07:46:10 AM »
Sam 4106,
I know, I have SS covers on my duals. PO's mixed aluminum with SS, not the best way, but that's what I have. Differant color though, oh well. They still shine!

Paul

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 09:05:21 AM »
I have the greatest aluminum wheel polish ever devised. It's called stainless steel full wheel cover. No rubbing required, just wash and wipe dry.
Good luck, Sam 4106

The biggest problem with these are that they look exactly like stainless steel wheel covers instead of polished aluminum wheels. LOL
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 09:49:51 AM »
Paul did anyone try it on an Eagles Aluminum siding?  Curious if if it cleaned the oxidation from the siding.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
I do not think that an Eagle's siding oxidizes. It is an anodized finish and should not oxidize.

I do know that if you polish/sand down thru the anodize you end up with bare aluminum that really does oxidize, and very quickly.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »
The "biker product" for alu polish was "SEMI-CHROME".  I used it for years with great results.  Wicked was not around back then, I guess so I have no comparison.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »
I don't plan to use it on the aluminum siding as it is anodized. Our siding is original, at least most of it, maybe someday when I win the lotto I will replace it all.  ;D

A good cleaning on the siding is all that is necessary unless of course the anodized is gone.

Paul

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »
A very light coating of brake fluid applied with a terry cloth gives a very nice shine to the Eagle siding for several weeks and only takes a few minutes to apply.
Richard

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal