Author Topic: Dallas's Shindig in October  (Read 34494 times)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Dallas's Shindig in October
« on: May 20, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »
Hey Dalllas or anyone who made it to the get together has anyone survived? Any pictures, how many were lucky enough to make it? How about showing the rest of us what we missed? Have fun an enjoy the ending! Knuckle
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Dallas

Re: How's Dallas's get together going?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:51:02 AM »
Hey!
Some of us have survived. Barely!
Meinhart Lagies brought 300+ bottles of beer from around the world, and I don't know about anyone else, but my head hurts this morning.
I got David Lang to do the pig cookin' so I got out of that one.
The little piggy was wonderful!
Also his Flx Starliner was a big hit!
Thanks go out to Gary Labombard for all the photos he has taken, and the great help that he and his lovely wife Linda have been.
Jerry Leibler has shared a lot of his expertise and I want to thank him for that.
JR Lynch and his crew have made some wonderful music for us with really great bluegrass harmonies.
I will post pictures later and also figure out who else needs to be thanked.
Of course, my thanks go out to everyone who made it and I will be thaking them as I can.
I'm not sure how many made it here but will go out and count in a bit.
For all of you who didn't make it, you were sorely missed.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 04:53:34 AM »
Dallas,

Thanks for the report!  This gathering sounds like LOTS of fun!  Though, it looks kind of dangerous, what with the dinasour attacking that Eagle bus.   :o
So, JR is in, or provides a bluegrass band?   I need to hear more about that also!

FUN!![/size]

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:53:22 AM »
C'mon Phil.. That ain't no Eagle!  That thar's a GMC!

Now we know why they went extinct. It was their poor diet!
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline NJT5047

How's Dallas's get together going?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »

Yep, Gumps correct,  it is a GMC.   There weren't any Eagles at the gathering...only two MCIs....all the rest were Flexes or GM coaches.  About 15 of them I believe.  Once Fred Hobe left, I had the ONLY MCI (only NJT/MCI too).   It was a Flex and GMC reunion!   Cliff (Floridacracker) has a converted GM that also looks like an Eagle at any angle but the front.  Windshield gives it away.   
Let me be the first to say...If you missed Dallas' gathering, you missed a great weekend!  Missed a great party too!
Never been anywhere that had soooo much good food....and drink!  Gary L (Rustlessmoneypit) took lots of pix and names and will post soon.
The weather absolutely refused to cooperate, but what the heck.. had nice sized covered area well "stocked" with liquid refreshment...so  let the rains fall!...and the rain did fall...about 2 or 3 inches I'd hazard a guess..and lightning...big skyshow!    :o
Dallas and Cat were the best hosts!   Sign me up for next year right now....same space!   
Bus ran perfect, new EEPROM is working too welll, and rear main seal is not leaking!   
We need more local, smallish get togethers...the weekend was just  a really good time!  :D
Best, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Dallas

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 05:03:38 PM »
Yup,
That's a mean dinosaur!
Wouldn't you be a little testy if you had your little arms lopped off?
And the bus is a PD4104 that belongs to Gillis Redding of Picken, SC.
Leroy Ashe ('04) brought him down along with Tommy McAlister who also owns an '04.
The MCI you see poking it's nose out is Fred Hobe's who was immensely free with his vast knowledge of the conversion process.
Gary Labombard (Rustless Money Pit) is going to post hundreds of photos of the goings on, so I'll just post a few here and there.
Dallas

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm Cat, Dallas' "boss" and he kinda talked me into joining in.  As for our gathering, I can only speak for myself but....I had a blast.  We met so many people who were so wonderful.  They came as strangers to us and left as friends.  We didn't meet anyone that we didn't like.  Some of us ladies, and Gillis who drove a couple of ladies (yes, his wife was one) went flea marketing and it was fun to have a girls day out.  We deliberately did not make lots of plans so that everyone could have a bit of a vacation and do whatever struck their fancy.  On Friday, JR and his friends entertained us with wonderful music and had planned to do more on Saturday night but the pouring rain put a big damper on that.  Meinhart brought case after case of beer and those that wanted it were able to have plenty and not one person drank too much.  Cliff brought his wife and 2 kids that were so well behaved and so much fun to be around.  LeRoy was a perfect target for my teasing and he gave me just as rough a time as I gave him.  We were able to be with him on his 80th birthday and even though he is old and ornery, he is still a big teddybear.   Gary took tons of pictures and his wife Linda was the best helper anyone could have asked for....and I didin't even have to ask.  She was right there and always helping, even when I was not sure what I needed.  I don't think I could have made it through the weekend without her.  My parents drove over from Myrtle Beach today and my dad, who is 81, did a brief church service for those that chose to attend and we had a great discussion after he was done.  David helped me with a short childrens sermon and did such a good job at "over the top" drama that we felt he should go on the stage.  Dallas roped Dave into cooking the pig and it was sooooo yummy.  Everyone provided a bit of "potluck" and we had more food that you would believe.   Today, Dallas grilled some chicken to go with the rest of the leftover food and anyone that went hungry Saturday or Sunday had only themselves to blame.  We are looking forward to having any of you that can stop by and visit with us at the campground.  It isn't fancy but the dinosaur does a good job of guarding it.  Hopefully, things will work out for another rally next year.  Take care everyone and come by and swap howdies with us.
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »
Hi everybody,

We just rolled in!

About 8 hours driving and at least one for the dog at the rest areas.

First, Dallas and Cat, Thank you so much for putting this weekend together. You both did an awesome job and deserve all the praise! ;D

My family and I had a real blast.  We met so many NEW friends and look forward to keeping in touch with all the "Busnuts" we met.

From the wonderful music on Friday night, to the awsome food on Saturday it was a great event.  I had the best conversations with so many new friends and the sharing of information and "How I did it" was terrific.

I 100% agree with JR on that we should all try to have more small gatherings. It really allowed everyone to interact and get to know each other.

When you hate to leave on the last day you know it was a good time. :'(

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline 4104GA

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 07:50:10 PM »
Hi Dallas and Cat
Thanks much for the wonderful weekend of fun.  We had a blast and got to put some new faces to the internet names we see so often and to see friends again from other busins.  We met so many super fine people and enjoyed our time with them so much.  You have us already talking about next year.  Do we have to wait a whole year to do it again???
Thanks again and hope all arrived home safe with no problems.  Hope to meet again down the road soon.
Sam & Sandy
Enjoy your ride

Offline Jerry Liebler

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
Dallas, & Cat
   THANK YOU for putting together a very enjoyed weekend.  Count me, my wife, Sharron, and grandaughter, Kelly, in for next year.  We actualy had pretty fair weather, in the daylight hours. But when we started on that awsome  stash of beer, thank you Meinhard, we had a truly amazing sequence of very loud and bright thunderstorms with a short bust of hail in at least one   This was my first 'rallye' in my work in process.  I learned a lot and met lots of really 'neat' people who are now my friends.  Even the drive was a learning experience, I have new respect for eastern mountain.   North Carolina's interstate 40  has some impressive grades, one that's posted as 4 miles of 7% got me down into second gear & the only other place that's happened was eastbound into the eisenhower tunnel in Colorado.   My bus did well, it went 950 trouble free miles and averaged 8.2 MPG at a 'target' speed of 65.   But when I got home I pulled up next to the house to unload, unloaded everything then went to move the bus to it's normal parking spot  and the starter won't turn.  I noticed that the starter push button can stick, maybe that did it.  I looked in the manual & there is supposed to be a fuel pressure switch in the coil circuit for the starter magnetic switch but what appears to be a fuel pressure switch (it's on a 't' in a fuel line) has no wires on it. Ah the joys of preious owner's 'fixes'.  I sure am glad I made it easy to get at that acees panel.  I've already got the panel off but I'll wait till tommorow when the engine will have cooled to pull the starter.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120 

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 08:38:10 PM »

Now we know why they went extinct. It was their poor diet!

OK - I missed the GM vs. Eagle, and I missed the fact that the dino had it's arms torn off.  Maybe I will get those glasses after all!!   ::)  :o   

Best Regards, Phil

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:08:17 PM »
It was a great time.  What I enjoyed most was meeting some of the people I interact with online and those whose posts I generally just read.  The food was wonderful, the entertainment was great, and it was nice actually seeing a converted bus up close.  Here I am, converting an old MC-8 to a motor home, and I've never even seen or been in a conversion!  I agree with waiting a whole year; maybe a fall get together is in order.  Thanks Dallas and Cat!

David

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 09:11:40 PM »
Hi David,

Welcome to the board.   :)  Glad to have you here.

Maybe you could post a picture of your conversion in progress.  I know we'd like to see it!

Kind Regards, Phil

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 04:57:51 AM »
Dallas & Cat,
   Sounds like everyone had a great time. How bout doing something on October?  Paula & I plan to be up in your area and we would be glad to help ya'll with it.  Jack
PS: remember what I told you about creating a monster?  LOL
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 08:07:44 AM »
Jack, That's a thought.  But whether we do or not, we really want to see you and Paula.  We enjoyed our time together in Rockingham and would love the chance to catch up with you guys.  We are sorry you two weren't able to come to this gathering and you missed some fun times.  Tell Paula hello for us and we hope she is feeling better.  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal