Author Topic: Bus Entrance Stairways Fabrication  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
Bus Entrance Stairways Fabrication
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:06:46 AM »
For those of you interested in doing what I am giving you a glimpse of on your bus entrance way I am posting the before and after results of my latest completion.

After borrowing this entrance way stair idea from my friend Steve and getting technical information on how to fabricate these steps I went and fabricated my steps my own way of coarse.  This was fun but can be challenging at times as this was a project I never tried before and Steve put me into information I did not think of.

If you ever think of doing this and intend to carry a spare tire in your front end, (Eagle Bus), you have to remember the area needed to carry the tire and be sure you do not build the steps too big to take room needed for your spare tire.  Another area of concern is fabricating your steps to go into your right wheel well.  You sure don't want to rub your tires on your nice steps etc.  So if you plan to do a major design change, it is advisable to contact anyone you know that may have done your particular project for ideas of what and what not to do.

These particular steps took 1 month to make, there was lots of cutting, re-modifications when things did not look right etc. but this makes your project more valuable to you when completed.  Don't rush any worth while conversion project.  Get information like I did from Steve for ideas and formulas if needed and then of coarse, then do it your way for the most pleasure if it turns out to please you in particular.

A special thanks here for all the information and help from Steve.

Here are photo's.

Gary

Gary

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Bus Entrance Stairways Fabrication
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:19:46 AM »
Looks nice Gary, I guess since the steps are done you'll be driving it to the Palmetto Cove Non-Rally? LOL? Ok maybe not just yet, but soon Huh? I'll see if I can have a Setra stripped out for you to demonstraight the curved steps design on at our next rally! LOL! Remember it may take quite a bit before I catch on! What kinda flooring do you like working with? By the time we get the flooring on I might understand how it worked !  LOL! ~ ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:27:11 AM »
Hi BK,
Thanks for viewing this. 
I had to modify this post as I did not reply to your question.  No I will not be driving our Eagle to the Palmetto Cove Non-bus rally, (This Year) but will soon, she's coming along. As I get older I take longer to accomplish things. BK, any chance you can come to Kyle's Non-Bus Rally??

At the time I do not intend to put anything more on these steps except a matching paint to the new carpeting we will install.  I plan to have the paint with a nonslip grit base in it for safety and also a 1" yellow paint safety line across the front of each step for something to catch your eye when entering or leaving our bus again for safety.  There will be a safety hand railing also built in but not right now, now I have to continue the right wheel well assembly as of today.

This information is only intended to those interested in seeing my accomplishment and perhaps to consider doing a similar project on their conversion in the future.
Gary
Gary

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »
I understand Gary, and just remember that the Eagle was the Setra's older brother! SHould be very close in design to yours! LOL! ` ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:40:09 AM »
Gary,
   Looks good.  You gotta get that thing done so you can do some "Show & Tells" at our rallies.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Songman

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:41:46 AM »
Looks good, Gary. So are you going to put the co-pilot seat over beside you?

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 06:49:27 AM »
Jack,
I am the very first person to admit I bit off way, way, way more than I wanted to chew.  Not that I couldn't because of my age and condition of my teeth. LOL a little humor there.  Anyhow, I try my hardest to emphasize to all newbies or anyone wanting to do this of the pit falls of my particular bus and hope they do not repeat anything I have had to do.  Major design changes all take time but fun to accomplish, look at Sonnie Grays bus for example and the accomplishment he has made.  He's my hero!! 

I would be very happy to have my bus viewed at rally's when we do start using it and show the before photos and actual after results.  Regardless of any skepticism I will complete this project and it will be around a long time after I am gone and forgotten.

Gary
Gary

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 06:55:55 AM »
I gotta get back on the Eagle guys, but thanks for viewing and the questions and comments.  Yes Songman, I plan to (Build) a special copilot seat next to me but about 1 foot behind the drivers seat to make entrance to the driver area possible.  The copilot's seat will be removeable to make access to all mechanical moving parts under it for any adjustments needed.  This part of my plan is only an occasional thought, I take one area I am working on and concentrate all energies to accomplishing just it.  Then go on but the copilot seat is still in my mind.

Now I am leaving and going to go work on the bus.

Gary
Gary

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:11:43 AM »
Very impressive.  It sure adds a lot to the conversion.  Does this mean you are putting the copilots seat next to the driver?
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 08:23:09 AM »
Hi Gray,

Great Fabrication Job!   I like it..  Please just be carefull comming down thoose steps, the treads do seem a little tight.

Maybe plan on some extra grab handles.. None the less, a work of art.

The first trip is just over the horrizon.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

maria-n-skip

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 09:06:21 AM »

Gary

That looks so nice and well built.

Hopefully when I grow up to your age I'll be able to fabricate at that level..

Skip

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
Hi Nick and everyone,
Making circular stairs or what ever you want to refer to them is pretty difficult to make them without cheating someplace with the limitations of space to fabricate and mount them and still have them safe to use.  I do plan on railings and will design them to be useable from the ground up to the  top stair.

I am enclosing 3 more photos that better show the width of the steps etc. but I assure you the width of the steps in the center and to the right is over what a normal step is.  It is virtually impossible to make them to any kind of code dimension for homes, the original steps were 10 inches high, mine are only 8 inches high and more comfortable to use going up and down. 

Well, lunch time is over, got to get back to the Eagle. 
Gary
Gary

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:35:21 AM »
Good job Gary!  Installation is nice and clean.

Regardless of any skepticism I will complete this project and it will be around a long time after I am gone and forgotten.

Of this I have no doubt, I just want you to get some good use out of it before you are gone and forgotten!!
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

cody

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:41:50 AM »
Looks great gary, nice clean job.

Offline dwbruner

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:13 AM »
Awesome work Gary! 8)

When you are ready, please post a few pics of the backside of the stairs as viewed through the wheel well.

Keep up the great work!!! ;D
Darrin
Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal