Author Topic: Guages Making a new dash panel  (Read 3297 times)

Offline frank-id

Guages Making a new dash panel
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »
I am doing a gauge layout for my Crown bus.  The factory gauges are 2 air, speedometer, tachometer,  fuel,  oil pressure,  coolant temperature,  and volt meter.  The new additional gauges are,  pyrometer,  manifold pressure,   and fuel pressure.  The coolant temp shall have a rotary switch to connect to the coolant, auto trans, rear axle and engine compartment.  The tach will be a 3K unit and the speedo will indicate 100MPH max.
Any suggestions for more gauges?  I enjoy building dashes with new gauges.   Frank  in Idaho

Dreamscape

Re: Guages Making a new dash panel
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »
Dang Frank,

Sounds like the cockpit of a 747!  ;)

Post some pictures when you finish. I am searching for ideas on mine.

Best of Luck,

Paul

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »
perhaps ...
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:32:54 AM »
Only thing I might add is oil press, water temp, output volt, for a genset. And possibly a temp guage for a transmission. It you want to go long a second temp for that DD engine if you have same.
I am moving mine to a more logical L/O for me at least.
Best of Luck,

Gary
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 05:42:04 AM »
When I built a new instrument panel for our MC-8 (8V71/HT740) here is what we installed. Oil pressure, oil temp., trans temp, left & right water temp, fuel pressure, fuel level, pyrometer, 12 voltmeter, 24 voltmeter, air pressure, brake application pressure, speedometer, and tachometer. Warning/indicator lLEDs include low oil pressure, hot engine, no charge, low air, low tag, Jake application, toad brake application, left & right turn signals, high beam, and trnsmission cooler fan. In addition, all switches have LED indicator lights (2 position switches such as defroster and Jake have bi-color LED indicators, green for low and red for high) Just our way, YMMV
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »
Nice layout Jack,

Hope ours turns out that good!

Paul

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »
My retrofit RTS dashboard uses the same salvaged Monaco Dash Board gauges that I sell. I built the back round out of ½" plywood finished with Burl Cedar Formica (LOWES). I added 93 Ford Ranger air vents, The original annunciator panel and 19" VIP steering wheel for Ron the Bus Nut

- 9 gauges total - ( tach/speedo/oil pressure/water temp/tranny/temp/dual-air pressure/boost/fuel level/volts0-12)

I want to replace the boost gauge with an EGT - that way

The 3 small gauges on the left--would have needles facing left- during normal operations - (water temp - tranny temp - EGT)
The 3 small gauges on the right-would have needles facing right during normal operations - (Volts - Dual Air Pressure - Oil Pressure)
this way when you scan the dash - if the outer gauges are in the "HANDS OPEN" position - everything is fine - makes it easy to see troubles

Plus I installed a Digi-Panel alarm system for piece of mind when the wife drives and I'm sleeping on the couch - even though she had the CDL not me.
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »
I would suggest you use a separate gauge for each temp, since the temp ranges are different.  It's just easier to be able to quickly look at the temp you want to see rather than having to rotate a switch everytime-and the switch is another possible resistance point that could goof up the accuracy of the readings. 

My suggestions for gauges- speedo with trip and odometer; tachometer with hour meter; water temp (left and right is good too); oil pressure; oil temp; pyrometer on a 2 stroke or electronically controlled engine is not needed; air cleaner restriction; fuel filter restriction; trans oil temp; drive axle oil temp; volt meter; fuel level; tire pressure monitor; front and rear air pressure; brake pressure application.  On the generator should at least have a oil pressure; water temp; hour meter.
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
Heres mine it out of a 1996 NaviStar 9600

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:31:28 PM »
Hello Frank;

Long time, no hear.  We were sitting around drinking cheap (good!) red wine wondering how many gauges we all needed for our coaches and stuff.  Some of us were mimimalists and others were, er...  maximalmists. (I guess)

On my '74 Crown, (VIN 37317) I'd like to add an air application gauge soosss predicted brake fade and stuff could be predicted before it happened coming down those Western grades way toos fast with the Jake.  Since the plan right now is for...

...employing two (2) fuel tanks I am holding out for two separate gas gauges soosss I do not get mixed up and have two empty fuel tanks instead of only one empty fuel tank.  Better that way I quess.  Then come the expected and...

...required "power gauges" which would let one (me?) at a glance tell what your (my?) mighty Cummins BC2 mill is doing which include the pyro gauge, inlet restriction gauge, boost, fuel pressure, exhaust back pressure, oil press, water and oil temp and fuel flow gauges.

As far as the tack and speedo, right now the plan is that I have no plan and just plan on using the existing VDO 80mph speedo and 3000 rpm tack which came with the coach since they are now in the dash and seem to work OK.

Then we have the rest of the "chassis gauges" which include mostly temps and stuff like trans and driver temps, tire temps, highway temps, air temp, humunity, barametric (sp) air pressure, etc.., stuff like that which is needed stuff.

Then come the "coach side" liquid level gauges which are the water tank and holding tank gauges.  The gen set is planned right now to run off the back gas (fuel) tank, soosss we only need the gen set engine gauges like oil pressure, water...

...temp, oil temp, and stuff like that.  Then come the "coach side" electrical gauges such as the battery voltage, watts used and watts available, present voltage and amperage useage, etc., etc..  Hummm.  actually, I am going to use whatever....

....is already in the coach and probably not add much of anything.  No $money$. I had two (two) buckets of gauges and senders purchased from the truck wrecking yard, but like a fool, I traded them off for some other stuff.  Are we having fun yet?  CROWNS FOREVER!!!  :) :)

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »
Hey Pete,

Another way to orient the gauges is the way we used to do it on the SCCA race cars. When everything is normal, all the gauge needles would point straight up. Makes it really easy to quickly scan the all the gauges and spot any of them are not in the normal range.
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 04:31:40 PM »
John

That's where I got the idea - My son's belongs to the N.C. SCCA Club  - For the last 4 years? running - My RTS has been track side to support his N.C. SCCA club buddies who come down to Daytona to work the 24 hour Rolex. _ Dad also gets a ring side seat !

Pete
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal