Author Topic: installing 21' awning  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Busnut83

installing 21' awning
« on: October 02, 2007, 07:09:01 AM »
Pro and con  I want to install an awning on my 83njt mc-9... Question if I put it above the drip rail it will cover my clearance marker,,, is this legal to not have the light,,,,  next is the skin or frame above strudy enough????

thanks

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: installing 21' awning
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »
    We installed the ZipDee awning on our MC-8 on the roof just above the marker light.  When the awning is rolled up (in travel position) the marker light still shows.  The awning rail that the awning actually attaches to is fastened to the roof with stainless steel screws on about 3" centers (holes are already in the rail when you purchase it.   With that many screws (a few are into the roof framing), we have never had any problems.  We did put a layer of butyl rubber tape on the backside of the rail before installing it to help prevent any leaks.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »
I'm also curious as to where the arms will mount and not block the bay doors.  It seems that a 21' awning is required to clear them all.  I think a friend's going to give me the (never used) awning off his camper, as it sits under a roof.  He actually asked me how much I'd charge to remove it and take it away!   ;D  Free sounds good to me!  I think it's around 19-20', and it'll need curved arms, but I think it'll be worth the effort.  An awning makes any sort of RV / camper so much more enjoyable to me, and I sure hope I get one installed soon. 

As to installing it on the skin... like Jack says, there will be many of screws holding it in place.  You can also put a backer plate or piece of wood under the aluminum on the roof if you still have access from below.  I'd think this would only be possibly important at the front or rear sections of the awning rail. 

David

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »
David,
   Our awning is 22' ands clears the bay doors. Our used ZipDee came off of an Airsteam, so it had curved arms (we had to re-shape the curves slightly.  If the awning has straight arms, you can attach the awning to the drip rail on the bus and use the straight arms. This is what we wanted to do, but found a good deal on our awning with curved arms.  Location is a matter of choice. If the awning is not long enough to clear the bays, you have to decide which bay gets blocked, which window the arm is in front of, and how far from the door the awning is.  Decisions, decisions, decisions?  You could install the rear arm just past the rear bay and the front would probably be above the fuel or battery compartment.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busnut83

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:46:02 AM »
As always thanks for the replys,,,, they really help .... Also the wingard sat  went well,,, glad I did it myself...

This awning is next and a larger gen...

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »
Like Jack I used a ZipDee awning ... I think it 22' lg so it clears the bay door. The bottom attaches at the belt line just above the top of bay doors there's a horizontal tube to fasten into. Mine also rolls up above the marker light.
Ron

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »
Pro and con  I want to install an awning on my 83njt mc-9...

thanks
>
FYI
If you still have the double doors on that NJT, The awning will have to be moved back to clear the entry door. ;)
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »
You could always put a lateral arm awning in too!

This one is 24 ft. long and extends 10 ft.  LA03 by A&E

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
The lateral arm awnings I installed came with 2 or 3 44" plates (for each awning).  The plates spanned at least two roof ribs.  Bolted the plates to the ribs with plenty of Dichor under each plate and  all around and in the holes.  No leaks, no worries, very solid.  The awnings just slide into the plates and are clamped.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »
I installed a 21 foot awning a couple of weeks ago and put the track just under the side light. I mounted the rear just behind the rear baggage door on the belt line trim. The front is about 3 feet behind the door. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »
In case you have never had an awning before...if you are leaving it up and leaving the campground for a while...or going to sleep with it out...DROP one end so that if it rains it will drain off.  I did not do that the first time I used mine...a torrential downpour came...next morning it was full of water, in fact I still have a slight bend to the tube!
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal