Author Topic: Refrigerator failure  (Read 7080 times)

Offline Sam 4106

Refrigerator failure
« on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:39 AM »
Hi Folks,
We have an 18 year old Norcold refrigerator that has failed. When I opened the door last night there was a strong ammonia smell and the inside was at  room temperature. So, is it practical to replace the cooling unit or should I just replace the whole refrigerator?
Thanks, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline TomC

Re: Refrigerator failure
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 07:58:46 AM »
If the cabinet and doors are still in good condition, it is cheaper to just replace the cooling unit.  But not by much.  The big question is if you can still get the cooling unit for that old of a reefer.  Course the newer ones have options that include electronic controls, automatic flame relight, warning lights, etc.  If it were me, I'd get a new one.  Course this maybe also the time to consider whether you want to stay with an absorption type reefer, or go to a marine type with a compressor (12v/120v that pulls about 5 amps at 12v when running), or replace with an apartment type reefer run off the inverter.  I have never been impressed with absorption reefers.  Just look behind any Camping World at the pile of trashed reefers for that answer. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »
if you are in, near or traveling through PA......have a nice hardly used Norcold....switched to an all Electric unit.

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »
Sam, There was a person selling the replacments for them on Ebay. They claimed to be able to match by make and model. 420.00 I think. Tekebird if Sam is not intrested I may be.  Thanks Tom
Tom Yaegle

Offline tekebird

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
Tom Come on down and get it...make me a reasonable offer....or even an unresonable one...LOL

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 10:22:09 AM »
Sam, why not replace it with a home refrigerator.  They have more room and if you get a fairly small one, don't take up much more room than what you have now.  They are also much cheaper than RV refrigerators!  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

cody

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »
We built in a 14 cubic foot house style and it works well, other sized are around too.

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »
Hi Tekebird,
I sent you an e-mail but our e-mail hasn't been working right so I'll also respond here. Our refrigerator is a Model 683, 8 cu. ft. with opening dimentions of 59 7/8" high, 23 1/2" wide, and 24" deep. If yours is either a Model 683 or 682, black, and that size, I'm interested. I live in La Crescent, Minnesota, but would be happy to drive out to get it if the price is right. I would enjoy the ride this time of year.
Thanks fo the offer, Sam 4106

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
 Don't judge the reefers by the pile behind Camping World, they do not seem to repair anything, just replace everthing! I'd be shocked to hear they repired anything.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline CS

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:39:40 PM »
Don't judge the reefers by the pile behind Camping World, they do not seem to repair anything, just replace everthing! I'd be shocked to hear they repired anything.

I would be suprised if I could just get them to wait on me. O no am I bad Mouthing well if the shoe fits???

Offline pvcces

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »
Sam, we have had both Dometic and Norcold of that size. I think that our Norcold is one of the two models that you mentioned.

We were really surprized at the difference in quality. The Norcold is far better built, has better metal in the boiler and the electronics are stable. Other than a small shift in interior temperature when it is very hot outside, the Norcold starts and runs like it should.

The Dometic was always having problems, and the boiler unit only lasted for four or five years of use. We won't be going back to Dometic anytime soon.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Hi Tekebird,
I sent you an e-mail but our e-mail hasn't been working right so I'll also respond here. Our refrigerator is a Model 683, 8 cu. ft. with opening dimentions of 59 7/8" high, 23 1/2" wide, and 24" deep. If yours is either a Model 683 or 682, black, and that size, I'm interested. I live in La Crescent, Minnesota, but would be happy to drive out to get it if the price is right. I would enjoy the ride this time of year.
Thanks fo the offer, Sam 4106
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 09:02:33 PM »
 I would be suprised if I could just get them to wait on me. O no am I bad Mouthing well if the shoe fits???

They're supposed to wait on you?? ;)
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 10:02:35 PM »
Quote from: CS

Well maybe yer just not quite fast enough! LOL! ;D  BK  ;D

Seriously all jokes aside, I know exactly what ya mean! I stopped in the one over by the Ol' Opryland opps Oprymills Mall back in May to check on some Thetford toilet parts. I parked the Setra and walked in and was looking around, and walked by the parts counter, the parts guy looked up and said "be with ya in a minute." I said no problem, I'll be looking around while I wait. Well I was checking stuff out and saw a couple of guys watching out towards my bus and laffing, so I mosied on over and checked to see what they were laffing at. Well I about lost it when I saw some O'l codger who looked like he was old enough to be retired from Social Security (drawing a pension from them for having been on it so long!). In a HUGE I mean HUGE 5th wheeler looked every bit as long as my 45' Setra and taller too! pulling it with a short wheel base SS 454 Chevy PU that to me looked like a 1/2 ton sporty truck, almost taking of the front of my bus!! Well he stopped, got out hobbled to the back looked around, saw he hadn't hit it YET, stood there and took a Pi$$ between his camper and my bus (but still in plain site of everyone). Then he hobbled right on passed his truck and into the store. Well as he got close on of the guys, opened the door for him. While the other went back behind the parts/service counter. I walked up and waited and he didn't even acknowledge I was there, then when the other guy walked back up front and asked me can I help you?  The clown who was up front laffing stopped him and pointed to the old guy and said "help him first he's got one of our units" and walked off! I was pissed so I threw my hands in the air and said a bad prase (I shouldn't have but it'd already come out) and started walking out, when the old guy insisted that I was there before him and the parts guy was still asking me as I walked out "sir can I help you? you were here first weren't you?" I was so PO'd I just kept walking right out the door, right past the old codgers PU sitting there with the windows & running, got in my bus, manuvered around the 5th wheeler in my way and started out of the lot! Then I saw the Jack A$$ that told the parts rushing to assist some folks looking at a new camper. Well I waited until he was crossing in front of me about 3' away & laid on the euro air horn, and the VW horn both full blast, and watched as he literally soaked his pants and was cussing me like mad. I just laffed and drove off, saying "I may not have one of your units. But mine is louder!" I haven't been back either1 LOL! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the responses. Since the refrigerator Doug Wotring has is too short to fit the opening where our refrigerator is, we will be getting a new Norcold from the local RV appliance repair guy. I called to ask him if it was practical to replace the cooling unit and he said he would not recommend puting 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of a new refrigerator into one 18 years old. The new one is the exact size of the old one, thank goodness. I considered using the 12 cu. ft. two door, side by side, that we had bought for the Prevost, that we sold in July. since the buyer of the Prevost deceided not to take the refrigerator. But, that would have required major changes in the cabinets and I'm just not up to all that work.
Thanks, Sam 4106

Offline Don4107

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:23 PM »
Sam,

If there is any room around the refer enclosure I would fill it with rigid foam as long as it does not violate the installation guidelines.  I am talking about the sides, top and bottom only, nothing in the back.  Anything you can add will help.

Don 4107
Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal