Author Topic: new project in the works  (Read 6456 times)

cody

new project in the works
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »
Now I've got to figure out a new project, a new wrinkle in my plans now look like I may have to figure out how to add a wheelchair lift to my eagle or at least a hoist mechanism to get the chair inside, any idea's or maybe anyone got one gathering dust somewhere?  I've been out of my chair for about 4 years thanks to good meds but now it looks like I'm heading back into it so I'm working in that direstion.  Could use some good idea's, right now my options are to keep it in the bay but I did design the inside to allow it, just didn't plan on needing it this soon.  Only problem is getting the chair in and out of the bus so I can still use it.

Offline tekebird

Re: new project in the works
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:15:03 AM »
you could do a total upgrade and get a used buw with an OEm lift. and l;ay the interior out so you could use the chair inside.

I have always thought about doing a conversion like this on spec....as with the average age of the bus.motorhome folks the market is there for anyone in direct need or those that are forward thinking

and these buses have low market value at present too

cody

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:28:58 AM »
I've already got the interior chair friendly, just didn't think it would become an issue so quickly, I'm thinking maybe a hoist that could be anchored on the inside of the doorframe that could lift it inside. I'm still mobile at this point but that will be changing .

captain ron

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »
Cody, Don't know your situation but I have a couple of ideas that might work for you. If you need the chair at all times and can't climb up in the bus you could make a seated lift that the seat folds against the dash when in the bus. It would be similar to a lift you can get for stairs. There are several ways of getting you and the chair into the bus that could be built by yourself if you have the same welding skills as your woodworking skills. If not there are plenty of us that can help.
Ron

cody

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »
I can still get in and out of the bus so far, I have parkinsons with some bad balance problems and now I've been diagnosed with MS and depending on the speed of the progression of the problem I'm trying to think ahead.  My biggest problem at this point is walking, I've added grab bars to the side of the entry both outside and inside that helps me a lot, but to climb into the bus and drag my chair in behind me is posing a problem.  I have absolutely no ability to weld lol, wood I understand but welding seems to be beyond me lol.

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »
Cody, I'm pretty handy with welding and have a good MIG welder that can handle Stainless or Steel welding.  I'd be happy to help you out if you should be inclinded to come over to Minneapolis.  My work schedule would not allow me to come over to Michigan, but count me in as a good source of help if needed.  I have plenty of room for another bus on my property with a decent 20 amp circuit.  If you can work out a design I can help you implement it!

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »
Cody,

I'm with Ron on this, if you need help there are a bunch of us here down at the Busted Knuckle Corral that will be glad to give you a hand no matter what you need.

Whether it's a hydraulically operated lift system, electric or just a block and tackle mounted inside the door on a rotating arm, we'll be happy to assist in any way.

Dallas

maria-n-skip

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »

Cody,
    Sorry to hear of the double whammy......
   At least the bus makes a good backstop for stopping.

In your design you may consider if you already haven't done so is not going with a standard chair.
   A sport chair or one of the newer collapsable chairs will probably serve you better. Expensive but not as heavy,
   bulky or wide foot print.

If you go with a lift chair then also consider and under step raiseable platform to get to the lift chair. There are a lot
 of ways to skin this cat it is just what works for you. Sounds like others are ready to help with what ever you design.
 Please don't be bashful in using their help.
 Wish I was closer.

Skip

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
Cody, come on down to BK's.  You will have Dallas, Ron, Bryce and his dad Gene.  Dallas has welding skills, the others have great thinking skills (Dallas thinks pretty good to) and between them, I bet we can get something fixed up for you before you know it.  On top of that, we can all have a great time talking, cooking out and just plain chillin'.  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Songman

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »
Cody,

Almost everyone that buys an RTS to convert ends up removing a wheelchair lift. My old RTS just went to NC. Still a long way from you but  closer than CA. I don't know what his schedule is on removing it but I know he plans to. I would bet that you could retrofit it into your bus. If you are interested I will try to find out.

Dale

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
Here's some thing to look at that would entail major renovations to your coach. Seen a few on SS Class A Rv's but not on a Bus ... but it should work.

http://myport-a-lift.com/index.html

Ron

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
Cody,

I'm with Ron on this, if you need help there are a bunch of us here down at the Busted Knuckle Corral that will be glad to give you a hand no matter what you need.

Whether it's a hydraulically operated lift system, electric or just a block and tackle mounted inside the door on a rotating arm, we'll be happy to assist in any way.

Dallas

Cody,
I second or 3rd or 4th what ever # in line I am to welcome you to come down to our place! As I read here, there are Dallas, Ron, Dad, and several others I can drag call favors out of! Seems like it would be an easy enough task, especially with all the talented folks available here!
So load up and head south! We're here Dallas has his welder out, Ron has his router out, and I got my cutt'n torch! If needed Mark has all the above and a plasma cutter! (and lots of scraps!) And there are a bunch of others that owe me favors, all I gotta do is call! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 02:32:43 PM »
Here's some thing to look at that would entail major renovations to your coach. Seen a few on SS Class A Rv's but not on a Bus ... but it should work.

http://myport-a-lift.com/index.html

Ron

Cody,

I saw one of these work on my last camping trip on the RV next door.

I had to talked to the Owner and he said it worked great.

Looks like a good lift.

Best of Luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

captain ron

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 03:35:14 PM »
Cody, don't get into too big of a hurry on this. I've been pondering this for a while ever since NcBob asked about a wheel chair lift. I have a design in mind that is very simple and not too intrusive to your entryway. I will need some info from you about your size and your bus. I would be glad to build the lift arm for you for free as a prototype and have you test it. The operating mechanism would be a remote control winch which you would have to supply. I'm not too familure with eagle buses so I would need to know a few things. Like does your door open where its flush with your dash? What do you have behind your dash to mount to? Is there a spare tire compartment in the front of your bus under drivers area?
You can call me at 239-292-1750
Ron

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
Cody, anther option is detailed at:  http://www.coachlift.com/rv-lifts.htm

It basically looks like a trailer jack modified to lift a person.  I have seen one work and it seemed to function rather well.  Should be easy to install.  They have advertised in FMCA for quite a while and I saw the unit over two years ago, so they must be good enough to still be in business.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal