Author Topic: I need a VIN number for a Firetruck or Military 6V92, DDEC II  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Zeke1

Hello, I need to upgrade my DDEC II computer for better power, but Detroit Diesel says they need a VIN number to upgrade to a firetruck or military program because of emissions standards. If I have a VIN they can order the program and install it. Thanks for any help or advice. Zeke.

Offline HB of CJ

Re: I need a VIN number for a Firetruck or Military 6V92, DDEC II
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »
Hello Jeke1

Something MAY sound fishy here.  A VIN number usually describes the complete vehicle or at least the chassis: what you may need is the code number of your mightly Detroit which usually (not always) is found on one of the valve covers.

I bet ALL the possible codes are already in the trusty handheld computer gismo the Detroit Teck man carries around with him, sometimes with a cord attached around his neck sosss if the laptop gets sucked into the radiator fan, he goes with it.  More tidy that way.

Probably your problem is legal and economic.  He may or may not be legally able to reprogram your Detroit.  Also sometimes the hardware on the mill will prevent maximum upgrades, like injectors, turbos, bypass stuff and exhaust and intake stuff.  Smog laws vary.

An example by example.  Years ago, my then active duty Firefighter Captain brother tried to get the local, friendly Detroit dealer out in California to rewrite the Series 60 in my brother's brand new fire engine.  Had a "clean" 450 hp, but the Type 1 (engine) was a slug.

My brother wanted much more zip, get up and goes.  The computer guy said that he could give my brother's brand new fire engine 650 hp, but would have to kill himself before he did it since it would be very very illegal with death sentences and stuff.

While back a bus buddy posted that he got his spare tire changed out more quickly at the truck stop by simply placing a $100 bill on the counter and asked to be placed higher on the waiting list.  Worked wonders.  What you want done to your Detroit....

....MAY violate some stupid smog law, but greasing the wheel with some $gratuity$ may work wonders.  Supply and demand.  Or...it just may be illegal to anything to your Detroit and the teck computer man was just being polite and stuff.  Who knows.

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »
I was able to have my engine increased to 350 by paying $350.00 to Detroit Dealer.  He did need proof that it was a motor home and not a New Jersey transit coach.  I had my coach titled in NC as a "Housecar" and I provided the dealer a photocopy of my title.  The program to change the horsepower in your DDEC has to be downloaded  from Detroit.  Also, your DDEC II needs to have a certain processor.  My DDEC had to be replaced several years ago, so I had the newer processor.  If this doesn't work you need the engine serial number.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

belfert

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 06:30:35 PM »
My Series 60 has Cruisepower so I only get 325 HP when operating the pedal by foot.  When on cruise I get 350 HP.  This is supposed to encourage drivers to use cruise.  I called up the local Detroit dealer about disabling this and they said the DDEC would need to be reprogrammed to the tune of about $600 if they could do it.  I figured the $600 could go for better things.

Another time at the same dealer I asked about getting my 6th gear (second overdrive) enabled and they said they would have to go back to the engineers at the OEM to get their blessing and also pay at least $250.  The engineers who designed the Dina now work at MCI and they said 6th gear is locked out due to the RPMs dropping too low.  I've talked to others who say the DDEC and the WTEC will work together to prevent the engine from dropping RPMs too low

6th gear would only be any good at 70 MPH and above I've discovered.  We drove at 65MPH (in 70 and 75 MPH zones) for our entire 4,000 mile trip and the RPMs were about 1525.  A second overdrive would drop the RPMs too low at 65MPH.

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 07:31:51 PM »
Zeke, you might check some of the boating BB's also, as some boats had the HP jacked up pretty good.

One evening while surfing ebay, engine components/accessories I saw a set of twin turbos advertised for a 650 HP marine 6V92.

A number of ideas shot thru my head then I just went to the next page and tried to forget it. 

If there are any boneyards close that have firetrucks etc. you might take a pen and paper and go look at a few.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline tekebird

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »
marine engines often have higher HP ratings than Land based as they have an infinite supply of cold water.  closed loop cooling systems do not disipate heat as well

HP = HEAT

that is why when busnuts get the wild hare up their buts that they need more power they often also buy themselves cooling issues

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 09:25:57 AM »
Zeke & Brian.

Call Tim Ahlf @ 661-322-5064 Tell him I sent you, explain your needs and see if he can help you. He is who I use when I need any changes in the DDEC set up.

Brian Congrats on your first trip. Do you have the 11L or the 12.7L 60. What trans is behind it.

Don

belfert

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 09:34:57 AM »
Brian Congrats on your first trip. Do you have the 11L or the 12.7L 60. What trans is behind it.

I have the 11.1L engine with B500 tranny.

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »
with those hp #'s I thought you had to have the 11L. Talk to tim You may be ably to have the hp kicked up to 350-375hp. Tim may be able to remove the driver reward and set it at a constant hp for you.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal