Author Topic: Gee...I feel out of place...LOL  (Read 10034 times)

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
Gee...I feel out of place...LOL
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:32:04 AM »
I'm Shawn, and I'm new to this board. I have read a lot of the posts and I am going to convert my bus.

Its a 26' neoplan transit bus.

I figure its just right for my son and myself to go running around in. I would have loved a MC9, but gotta do with what you have.

Here it is...It has a detroit diesel 8.2L fuel pincher, runs great...but governed at 62.. :'(

I created a webpage to show the progress, it's here.

http://www.pittsburghtransit.com/lilneo.html

I look forward to learing from this board.

shawn
Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Gee...I feel out of place...LOL
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »
Shawn,

Welcome to the board!

It dosen't matter what kind of bus you have.

You are most certinly welcome here!

Feel free to call apun us anytime

Nick Badame-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Dallas

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:47:25 AM »
Shawn,
That's a cool looking little Coach.
I was considering buying some shorties like the chance trolleys to turn into weekenders, but your Neoplan would make it much easier with it's almost square sides, headroom and windows.
By the way, is that access panel under the driver really needed? or is it jast access to the Drivers control panel, electronics and steering?
Hurry up with the conversion and send us pictures along the way.

Dallas

Offline Casper4104

• My site - no bus pics yet.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:48:02 AM »
Now that is cool - you and the young'un will have a ball with that.  Just the right size for 2 people.

My kids are teenagers already, so if I started a conversion today, they'd be well into college before the first trip.  I bought an already converted bus so we could roll right away. (Going to the Rock&Roll hall of fame in Cleveland next Saturday - I told them to bring friends, but let's be reasonable,,, no more than a dozen  :D ).

Welcome aboard, this is a very friendly, welcoming group.  There are a few Skoolie guys here, some transits, Old GM's, newer Prevosts, tons-O-MCI's.  These guys (and a gal or two) gave me lots of pointers and helped me make a good decision when I was shopping, and I've tried to add a little something when I could help.

Rip some seats out, toss in a portapot and a couple of sleepy bags and lets go!

Casper4104
If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?

El-Sonador

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:59:25 AM »
Don't feel bad Shawn... I have one even smaller... lol

Welcome Aboard.

Steve

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 10:46:02 AM »
Welcome aboard Shawn,

This is a board built on a diversity of people, ideas, skills, opinions and buses.

Its a great place to confirm your ideas before you spend real money on them. :o

It's almost as good as having a bored, retired, ex bus mechanic living next door. ;D

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline ChuckMC9

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 10:58:29 AM »
Hey there, Shawn - I remember you from before - didn't your son have a great website too? I remember being mightily impressed with him.

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »
I will answer a few questions...lol

Dallas - The access panel is home to a whole ton of wiring, and circuits. As well as a empty spot that I figure will be a great place for my stash of oils and stuff.

El Soñador - Your may be smaller, lol, but whats pulling it isnt...lol

ChuckMC9 - Yeah, we have another website dedicated to transit history in Pittsburgh, its at www.pittsburghtransit.com

but, I am happy with it. and its a BLAST to drive! ;D ;D ;D

Shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

Offline phil4501

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 04:20:48 PM »
I like that little bus, nice page too

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »
That really is a nice looking coach.  Great platform for someone who doesn't want a full 40'.  How does that OEM rooftop air work for you.?  It seems all the new transits have those rooftops.  I think it's good enginneering to put them up blowing down instead of down blowing up.

David

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:08:13 PM »
That unit is a sutrak system, and it works both air and heat. It is thermostatically controlled and keeps the bus at a comfortable (so they say) 72 degrees.

I have yet to figure out how to get the heat to work. I known the compressor is locked up, so there is no ac...but the blower does work fine.

Shawn

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 10:23:50 PM »
Great looking little coach.  I have a 40ft transit and my next bus will be a 35ft.  Course, I don't know what your budget is, but my guess is the trans is an Allison AT545-4 speed without a torque converter lockup.  This trans was great around town, but without the lockup causes the engine to spin at the governor at cruising speed and doesn't have much in the way of braking.  What would really work well, and wouldn't cost much, is a MT643.  Next size up and has a lockup clutch in the torque converter that locks up in the upper end of 3rd and all of 4th.  You could probably find one for fairly cheap.  If you're going to keep the bus, it would be worth it, then your mileage would be closer to 10.  Now if it already has the MT643, you're already in business.  Keep us posted-like to see what you do with it!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

El-Sonador

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 05:08:21 AM »

If you really feel out of place about your size Shawn,
you could always find another one and make it into a matching trailer,
or better still, articulate it...

That'll keep you busy for a looooooong time... lol

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 05:44:02 AM »
It's OK Shawn,

I've always been told that size doesn't matter.

Good thing too.

Dallas

El-Sonador

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 05:55:46 AM »
It's OK Shawn,

I've always been told that size doesn't matter.

Good thing too.

Dallas

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal