Author Topic: A bnut type question  (Read 5586 times)

Dallas

Re: A bnut type question
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 05:53:39 PM »
Dallas: Does the ZF transmission have the right angle for a bus that old?

Stan,

From one ZF I looked at, the configuration was actually an "L" shape instead of being a "V".

The engine was transverse with the transmission in the standard place, then a right angle drive down the passenger side of the coach. The differential yolk was square to the drive and the differential was offset to the right side leaving only about 18" of right hand axle and 50" of left hand axle.
I'll see if I can find the picture that I found of it on the internet.

Dallas

Offline gus

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
The 3751, 4151 and 4103 are beautiful buses like no others and the 671 is the perfect powerplant for them all.

These buses are so light weight that they don't need more power. They also don't have air bags but owners claim they ride like baby carriages. I love my 4104 but those bags are a pain in the rear-and front.

Get one, keep it stock and you will never be sorry. They have that really neat steering column shifter and the classiest rear engine cover ever designed.!

The 3751/4151s have a major weakness in the Al structure above the rear axle. This will show as a small vertical crack just ahead of the LH rear emergency door. The bus companies came up with a fix that was basically a 7' long steel plate bolted to the original structure.

Make sure any bus you buy has this fix.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline tekebird

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
no emergency doors on the 3751/4151

Offline tekebird

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »
I take that back they did....very last window on the Driver's side.

was not aware of the structural issue there.
most of the issues I have seen are every fastener seized up and rusted.

availability of body parts and leses is nill

Offline Stan

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 05:29:02 AM »
Dallas: I have never knowingly looked at a ZF transmission in a bus so I asked the question because of the angle change after the 4104. Your description sounds like a rear axle change would be required to use a ZF.

Dallas

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
Dallas: I have never knowingly looked at a ZF transmission in a bus so I asked the question because of the angle change after the 4104. Your description sounds like a rear axle change would be required to use a ZF.

Stan,
In the one I mentioned, yes, it would require an axle change and modification. The nice thing about that,though, is the axle could be any standard "T" drive axle.

The other thing I've found is that ZF makes angle drives for about any configuration. One of the most popular seems to be the 80° for transit coaches.

I looked at a few of ZF offerings at GATS in Lousville, Ky a few years ago, and pretty much they can take any of their transmissions and put about any of their angle drives on them (within reason). This makes a lot more sense to me than Allisons idea of building the angle drive integral to the transmission.

I still haven't found the website where I saw the 90° drive, but I'll look some more tonight.

Dallas

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »

Green-Hornet,

What I told "Jackhartjr" applies for you also. Buy it get it here K buck is their price on delivery.
 Plus I promise not to take it to WM to scare the tourists with an air horn in the middle of the night.

Of course before the wind up all the pre buy stuff is advised.

Skip
Very nice offer. Just not ready to Pull the trigger yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal