Author Topic: Trying to get a STEEL building Quote..  (Read 9607 times)

Offline superpickle

Trying to get a STEEL building Quote..
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:38:44 PM »
Im not sure how high the Roll up door should be.. I dont know what kind of Coach I'll be putting in it yet.
I thought 12' but is that enough for say, a Buffalo ? or a MC9 or ? or an Eagle  ??? ???
Thanks.. Paul...  ;D ;D
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Lee Bradley

Re: Trying to get a STEEL building Quote..
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »
I would go 14' high and 12' wide.  I have 12' by 10' doors and have to remove the mirrors and I have about 4" clearance on top for my Cityliner.

Offline superpickle

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 01:01:06 PM »
Oki Doki,, thanks Lee. Thats a BIG help..  ;D....... :-*
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Connel

• Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR
  • Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 02:03:58 PM »
Paul,
My metal shop has 16' walls and the overhead door is an insulated panel 12' wide x 14' high with a header spring.  Door cost just over $800 installed.  Wanted to use a rollup door but they were $4k (Nov '06 prices).  Really like the insulated panel now that it is installed.  Suggest you not use a smaller door - you will regret it later.

Connel
Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
Yeah--about the same answer here.  Go with the WIDEST, TALLEST door that is practical--one never knows what may end up inside YOUR shop.  Also, a couple of extra feet of ceiling height will be welcome if you ever have to climb around on the roof of your coach.  And...while you are at it...a standard work pit with all the lights and stuff would be also soosss cool.  :) :)

luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
Paul, like everyone says go with the 14ft tall 12ft wide roll up doors i bought my 40x60 from Impact Building check their price for a complete package they are on the web and located in San Antonio TX

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
Our 60' X 40' Shop has dual 14' X 14' doors side by side on one end and an added on 20' X 20' Office and Parts rooms on the other end! I love the 14' X 14' doors plenty wide & tall for anything! Oh yeah 24' pit in one bay also!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline compedgemarine

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 04:18:09 PM »
Hi BK
I am looking at putting up a shop soon for another business but am considering putting in a pit for the bus and cars. Since you use yours for buses is there any thing you recommend or would do different about how yours is? much easier to build it once than to come back and make changes.
thanks
Steve

cody

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:52:30 PM »
My bus is 12ft 6 inch tall, I encourage everyone to get a building I can fit into lol.  Just kidding but I think you'll be happier with tall enough doors.  Doesn't matter how big you build the building, it'll never be big enough.

luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
Cody,your right mine is 60x40 and you would be amazed what your wife can find to help fill it at least mine can

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
Hi BK
I am looking at putting up a shop soon for another business but am considering putting in a pit for the bus and cars. Since you use yours for buses is there any thing you recommend or would do different about how yours is? much easier to build it once than to come back and make changes.
thanks
Steve

Steve you bet there are a few things I'd different! Of course first let me clarify for the record! We rent ours (cheap too!) it was originally built by a dump trk company! So the pit is only 24' long which is plenty to work on a semi tractor or trailer! But the built in steps start in the middle of the shop and head down into the pit going toward the back wall! NO GOOD for a bus! steps are under the middle of the bus! If & when we are forced to move by I-69 we plan to build one more bus friendly!
First I wanna make the pit about 45'-50' feet with steps on the end nearest the wall! Also I'll plumb water, air & electricity when building (our current one only has elect)! I'll also have a moveable oil drain system plumbed into a storage tank, for a waste oil heater! And a waste water drain on a sump system (less likely to back up and attract unwanted critters!)! Last but not least I'll use steel angle iron down both sides to support a rolling I-beam jack support to be able to place a jack where needed to lift a wheel or what ever to make maintenance easier! Might even make a 4 way I-beam cradle that will support a trans jack, etc! ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline MedicNovo

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 08:14:25 PM »
In August I just built a steel pole barn for my bus it is 34x44.  I went with a 14' interior height and a 12x12 split slider door.  I would recommend a 14x14 door as my MC8 fits just fine but I have to watch height when I add the AC units.  Also since our buses dont turn extremely tight the 14' wide gives you some room to angle your bus in so it dosent have to be in the middle.  Good luck and lets see some finishes pics.
John
She thinks my tractors sexy!
MCI-8
Cleveland, OH

belfert

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
When you are talking steel building, are you talking a steel framed building or a pole barn with steel siding?

I'm planning to build a new house with a garage for my bus.  The city won't allow pole buildings period unless I have 5 acres.  They will allow garages up to 2000 square feet so my plan is to do 40'x50'.  The siding and roof must match the house.  I just today got a quote for $35,000 with Hardie siding, asphalt shingles, and slab.  The side walls will be 14' with special stepped trusses to accomodate a 14' door.

Someone suggested looking into a steel framed building, but no idea where to start on one of those.

Offline MedicNovo

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »
The price was significantly higher when I looked at steel framed buildings.  Pole construction was the way to go for me.  Steel sided asphalt shingle and gravel base was $13,750.  BTW you will like the hardy plank siding.  I have it on my house.
John
She thinks my tractors sexy!
MCI-8
Cleveland, OH

Offline superpickle

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 09:37:17 PM »
I was Quoted $22,887.25. by United Steel Building.

35x55x12 (im going to 16 ,with 14x14 rollup doors..
2 walk in doos,
4 3x3 windows Double pain slideing.
4 2x4 skylights
6" insulation , walls and roof.
Roof is 4 in 12 pitch.

Does not include Erection, Slab or plumbing etc etc etc..
Whataya thunk ?
I will Deffinitly take Lots of pics of EVERYTHING..  ;D
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal