Author Topic: Tankless water heater  (Read 13022 times)

Offline dwbruner

Tankless water heater
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
I would like to eliminate the conventional LP water heater tank and go with a Precision Temp RV 500 tankless water heater.  I want a system that can provide enough hot water in a relatively short amount of time for several people to shower, shave, etc., but I don't have the funds for a Webasto or AquaHot system.    Anyone familar with this product or something similar?  Here is their url....

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/HeatingProducts/WaterHeating/rv/rv500waterheatermainpage.htm
Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
Re: Tankless water heater
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:10:23 PM »
Seisco is another brand I've used on occasion - they're not cheap thought - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

NCbob

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:32:10 PM »
My guess, depending on how you operate your coach (post or boondocking) would be to choose an alternative.  If you drive or run your generator quite a bit you could opt for a hot water tank which has an internal (marine) coil wherein you could circulate the hot water from your engine or generator and make hot water while that source is running.

Another choice would be, being in TX, a solar heat exchanger on the roof, or remote (which would require a small circulating pump) which would ask Old Sol to heat your water for you.  The downside of that is a well insulated storage tank, of some capacity,  to retain the heated water.

There doesn't seem to be any easy choices or inexpensive ones from my seat in the gallery.  But keep us posted on what your ultimate solution happens to be.

NCbob

Offline pvcces

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:38:58 PM »
The only way we've ever been able to run our 10 gallon propane hot water tank out was when doing our laundry. For showers, etc., it's almost a continuous supply of hot water. Recovery is only 1/2 hour.

I only listed this information in case you hadn't had experience with this size.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

El-Sonador

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 06:28:50 AM »
Hi... dwbruner

I run an all-electric coach, [no propane]
My water tank is only 36 litres and runs on 110vac [cost was under $100.00] and I seem to have tooooo much hot water.
Most of the time I shut it off to conserve power and I have hot, very HOT water in about 15 minutes of turning it back on and still have warm water almost 24 hours after I turn it back off.

It is low-tech and simple, but it seems to work for me and I live on my bus 24/7

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:24:56 AM »
Hi... dwbruner

I run an all-electric coach, [no propane]
My water tank is only 36 litres and runs on 110vac [cost was under $100.00] and I seem to have tooooo much hot water.
Most of the time I shut it off to conserve power and I have hot, very HOT water in about 15 minutes of turning it back on and still have warm water almost 24 hours after I turn it back off.

It is low-tech and simple, but it seems to work for me and I live on my bus 24/7

Steve

Steve,
Is that a house type?
Also do you run 30 or 50 amp? I've thought about using a 10 gallon house type, but since I'm on 30 amp, I would need to watch the usage when the A/C is running. Then again, it could be turned on at night and have enough water for morning showers.

Then also I was looking at an almost instant hot by (I think), Titan. the one I looked at was 110v/propane so I couldnuse it either or both ways. besides that, it's small enough to fit behind the drawers in the galley.
Cost is around $300 USD, but may be worth it for my cramped spaces.

Dallas

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 07:26:13 AM »
Being an old truck driver, I've seen the results of propane leaks that ignite.  Usually an RV that is completely burned to the ground.  Hence, my only propane is for the stove and furnace with the propane tank mounted directly underneath (for the shortest line run and with a remote electric solenoid shutoff from inside).  My water heating is very simple.  I bought two 10 gal water heaters from Home Depot, mounted them under my bed next to the 130 gal water tank and my water manifold with ball valves on each water use, plumbed the water heaters from one into the next with the final water heater powered through the inverter for continuous hot water during the day when driving.  Both water heaters were $300.00, in 10 years I've had to do zero to them (up and beyond draining)-can anyone with a propane heater or Aquahot say that?  If the element goes out (hasn't happened yet), go to Home Depot for a very cheap element (I think less than $20.00).  Granted they do take more room, but I don't notice it since it is under my bed, they don't make any noise-except for a little gurgling when getting warm, don't need outside venting (one less hole to make), and except for having to drain them every so often (what every water heater should have done to them) are maintenance free.  Down side, when dry camping, have to run the gen for hot water.  But, I usually run the gen for about an hour in the morning and an hour at night to keep the batteries up (my reefer is a Norcold marine compressor type) any way, so the water also gets heated.  As to the tankless heater, if I were to get a propane heater, that one sounds like the best-instead of the El Cheapo RV types that are sold at Camping World (and almost all other El Cheapo items sold at Camping World except for name brand appliances).  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:34:51 AM »
Being an old truck driver, I've seen the results of propane leaks that ignite.  Usually an RV that is completely burned to the ground.  Hence, my only propane is for the stove and furnace with the propane tank mounted directly underneath (for the shortest line run and with a remote electric solenoid shutoff from inside).  My water heating is very simple.  I bought two 10 gal water heaters from Home Depot, mounted them under my bed next to the 130 gal water tank and my water manifold with ball valves on each water use, plumbed the water heaters from one into the next with the final water heater powered through the inverter for continuous hot water during the day when driving.  Both water heaters were $300.00, in 10 years I've had to do zero to them (up and beyond draining)-can anyone with a propane heater or Aquahot say that?  If the element goes out (hasn't happened yet), go to Home Depot for a very cheap element (I think less than $20.00).  Granted they do take more room, but I don't notice it since it is under my bed, they don't make any noise-except for a little gurgling when getting warm, don't need outside venting (one less hole to make), and except for having to drain them every so often (what every water heater should have done to them) are maintenance free.  Down side, when dry camping, have to run the gen for hot water.  But, I usually run the gen for about an hour in the morning and an hour at night to keep the batteries up (my reefer is a Norcold marine compressor type) any way, so the water also gets heated.  As to the tankless heater, if I were to get a propane heater, that one sounds like the best-instead of the El Cheapo RV types that are sold at Camping World (and almost all other El Cheapo items sold at Camping World except for name brand appliances).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom,
One other piece of maintenance you will want to do is replace the sacrificial zinc rod that's inside the water heater.
Generally about every 5 years is normal, but I've seen them used up in less than 3 also. Once it's used up, the electrolysis will attack the next best thing which is the welded connections all over the tank.
My step dad taught me that about 40 years ago, and his water heater is still working.
Most of the leaky water heaters I've found were ultimately caused by that rod being worn out.

Dallas

El-Sonador

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »

Steve,

Is that a house type?

Also do you run 30 or 50 amp? I've thought about using a 10 gallon house type, but since I'm on 30 amp, I would need to watch the usage when the A/C is running. Then again, it could be turned on at night and have enough water for morning showers.

Then also I was looking at an almost instant hot by (I think), Titan. the one I looked at was 110v/propane so I couldnuse it either or both ways. besides that, it's small enough to fit behind the drawers in the galley.
Cost is around $300 USD, but may be worth it for my cramped spaces.

Dallas

Yes Dallas... it is a simple home version under-sink hot water tank that comes in 220vac or 110vac... available from any building supply, like Home Depot...
I opted for the 110vac unit as I don't want any 220vac on-board, for flexibility with my power supply.

It only requires to be on a 15 amp circuit and cost less than $100

Steve

PS... YOU WROTE: "do you run 30 or 50 amp?..."

I can plug into any size post from 15amps upto 50amps, My power management system will take what I need to supply my electrical requirements from shore power, Batteries, generator automatically.

For example... If I am plugged into 15amps and require 20amps of power, my system will take the 15amps from shore power and then take the remaining 5amps out of my battery bank. When my requirements drop below 15amps, [coffee maker shuts off for example] it will then take the 15amps from shore power, or any part not being used by the bus and put it back into my batteries through the charger automatically. This is all controlled and set by the computer program I have that manages the entire system. The program is a free download too!

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 08:07:01 AM »
Thanks Steve,
 That's what I thought, but I'm still recuperating from the Get Together this last weekend. I'm also going on sleep deprivation... I've been up since 11 last night.
When I tried to do the litres to gallons conversion in my head I came up with 41,231 chicken arms ÷ .003 acres.
I need sleep!
Oh, well, Lots of work to do today as soon as the help shows up.

Dallas

El-Sonador

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:11:12 AM »
Thanks Steve,
 That's what I thought, but I'm still recuperating from the Get Together this last weekend. I'm also going on sleep deprivation... I've been up since 11 last night.
When I tried to do the litres to gallons conversion in my head I came up with 41,231 chicken arms ÷ .003 acres.
I need sleep!

Dallas

36 Liters = 9.51120 US Gallons

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 08:28:53 AM »
Thanks Steve,
I need sleep!

Dallas

36 Liters = 9.51120 US Gallons

Steve
Thanks Steve.
I could have gotten it off google, but I was trying to keep my mind working. :P
Now I have to start on Pi

Dallas

El-Sonador

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 08:35:35 AM »

Thanks Steve.

Dallas

I hope it is Apple or Cherry "Pi" instead of 3.14159265 or 22 over 7 lol

Don't mind me... I get silly when I start to get close to 250

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 08:58:03 AM »

Thanks Steve.

Dallas

I hope it is Apple or Cherry "Pi" instead of 3.14159265 or 22 over 7 lol

Don't mind me... I get silly when I start to get close to 250

Steve

Unfortunately, I was thinking 22/7ths
But the Cherry and Apple sounds much better.
Or even, maybe, a sweetpotato or pecan pie.
Apple with heavy cream, Cherry with Ice Cream.
Pecan with anything, as long as it's home made. No Store bought pies allowed.
Sweet potato pie, if, it's done right, can stand alone.
How about a homemade mincemeat made from venison or elk?
Dangit, don't get me hungry now, I was gonna have a couple of Mooseheads and go take a nap.

Dallas

El-Sonador

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 09:36:49 AM »
Very Funny Dallas... I think you need a nap... lol

Poor dwbruner, we have hijacked his post and he is going to report us...

Have your Mooseheads and curl up in the hammock for a few hours....
We need you back here, Bright Eyed and Busy Tailed... lol

::)

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal