Author Topic: Tow a BMW 5 Series with manual transmission with all wheels down?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Kevin Warnock

I am thinking about getting a used BMW 530i with a five speed manual stick shift transmission. This will cost about $10K for a 2000 model year version, so it's not really an expensive car. Motorhome Magazine does not list BMWs at all in their annual towing guide.

Does anyone here know if I can tow such a car with all wheels down? I am pretty sure BMW will say no just because they don't want people to harm the image of their cars by towing them behind RVs, or for legal reasons. But I suspect that it can be done, perhaps with some kind of lubrication kit. This car is a rear wheel drive with a manual transmission using a normal clutch and stick shift. No fancy paddle shifters on the model I am considering.

Comments?

I would be towing this with my 1994 RTS with a Series 50 engine, if that matters.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline redbus

Re: Tow a BMW 5 Series with manual transmission with all wheels down?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:20:14 AM »
Call Remco they are the towing experts. I can get the # for you if you need it.
Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/

cody

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
Mt brother drives a 2004 BMW and it doesn't have much of a frame under it, that would be my first concern, is where and how to mount the baseplates.  I would think a stick shift would be the way to go, just put it in neutral to tow it but check the frame out on it to see if it has enough to mount to.  Some are that unibody construction that is more sheet metal than frame.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:11:12 AM »
While I'm sure you probably can tow it, I wonder how much you will be towing it ;).  Around here used BMWs are very cheap.  Compared to the new price BMWs depreciate faster than any other car i can think of. They are complex, performance cars and the parts are rare and $$$.  Plus they seem to change the design all the time so the parts are even more rare.  Personally I would buy a used golf  tdi or something, decent handling, bullet proof design.

Offline trailblazer2

• 1990 Chevrolet C-60 Activity
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
 Kevin;
 There are two things(mainly) to consider. They are;if this vehicle can be towed,and this can be found out through the dealer service manager; and if towing brackets are available. The brackets are made primarily by Blue Ox, or Roadmaster. This may need to have a driveline dis-connect,if so this would be around $750.00. It depends on HOW MUCH YOU LIKE THE CAR. I personally like the idea of a small pickup,or suv.
Bill
"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal