Author Topic: mexican insurance  (Read 9316 times)

Offline MCI48

mexican insurance
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »
I have a fully restored 1948 MCI and would like to acquire collision insurance while I am on the Baja this winter. Mexican insurers will not underwrite anything older than 15 years. I have a substantial investment in time and money in my coach, and don't feel like gambling. Any suggestions out there?

Offline superpickle

Re: mexican insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:56:42 PM »
Buy a Junker and drive That down their.. I wouldnt take ANYthing of Value into Mexico..
To many Horror storys..  :( :(
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:38:03 PM »
This is who we will be using this year.  They quoted me on my 1981 Prevost (ie - more than 15 years old).  I haven't actually bought the coverage yet but I'm not anticipating any problems.

www.mexican-autoinsurance.com
Toll Free: 888-377-1570

We have used Lewis & Lewis in the past but this guy comes well recommended and at a slightly better price. 

And SP why don't you stick to giving advice about things that you know something about?  The OP didn't ask for a rant about mexican travel - he asked for information about Mexican insurers.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

maria-n-skip

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:23:42 PM »
Please educate?

Does one need Mexican Insurance when in that country?
 Doesn't the US common insurance co.'s go that far south?

Thanks
 Skip

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »
Some north american companies will cover any loss you suffer ( note I said SOME ) but most don't. However you MUST purchase liability insurance from a mexican insurance company if you travel into Mexico.

Here are two I will be contacting for my insurance before I go down for Thanksgiving and I was told that they will insure bus conversions on a case by case basis.

Baja Bound 888-552-2252  or Mex Bound 877-265-baja

Hope this helps.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
Skip - you don't need insurance in Mexico in the sense that nobody will ever ask you or check to see if you do or don't have insurance.  And as Mel has already pointed out some US carriers may cover you for loss.  The reason most of us who travel in Mexico buy Mexican insurance is threefold:

1) my carrier won't cover me for losses outside of the US or Canada (which brings up another subject - I'll come back to that later)
2) Mexico has a different legal code.  In the US and Canada we work on the assumption that every lowlife a$$hole is innocent until we can prove him guilty.  The Mexicans turn that around and automatically assume that, if you are picked up by the cops for anything you are guilty until you prove otherwise - its called the Napoleonic code and, like I said, its different.  Now in a lot of cases I agree with that system.  The catch is that - if you are in an accident - the cops are going to assume that you and whoever else is involved is guilty until proven innocent.  And if they have any doubt about either party showing up to face the music they will just throw your a$$ in jail until your court date comes up.  We buy insurance to avoid that possibility.
3) We also buy insurance to cover us for legal counsel in the event of an accident.

Now, back to my carrier not covering me while I'm in Mexico.  When we get home I write the carrier a letter complete with proof of the time we were out of the US and request a refund of my premiums for that period.  No coverage - no premiums due.  They pay.  Its no biggie but it helps cover the cost of the Mexican coverage.  Proving when we were out of the country is easy too - there's a short toll road immediately south of Nogales - I just save the toll stubs when we enter and leave the country.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »
Please educate?

Does one need Mexican Insurance when in that country?  YES
 Doesn't the US common insurance co.'s go that far south? NO

Thanks
 Skip
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

maria-n-skip

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »
Thanks
 I learned sumething Now lets hope I remember it.

Skip

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 12:45:15 AM »
First of all - the Mexican government will NOT let your bus into Mexico without proof of ownership and the proper LIABILITY INS. - I have coverage in Mexico on my INS. for collision/comp, and so do most, but it is not Liability (as Melbo posted) - The reason is that liability laws are different in Mexico than the US - HTH
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:14:17 AM »
Anyone feel like posting how much the required mexican liabilty insurance was for their bus.  I think my van was $225 for 6 months but that was awhile ago 3 yrs) and I bought it just before the border.  It would seem that online we could get a better price/more competition.  Patrick.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 04:19:59 AM »
something not mentioned is that a "surety Bond"(?) is needed as well, basically it is a $250 deposit withdrawel from your credit card.  It is refunded when you leave the country with your vehicle.  The 250 was for a van maybe buses are more.  When  I was there last it was only permisible for one vehicle per person, so the toad would have to be registered to a co traveller, and a CC in their name used for the deposit.  Same for motorcycles (big ones any way). Times change this may have as well.

Offline ttomas

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 05:29:29 AM »
    A refundable cash deposit is required if you do not have a credit card. the deposit is to insure that your vehicle is not sold in Mexico. They use the  credit card as a deposit and will debit it if the vehicle doesn't exit the country.
    However, motorhomes are granted a ten year permit because it is unlikely (or impossible) that it will be sold. Ask for the 10 year.  Each person is given a six month visa and vehicles other than motorhomes 6 month.
     As a missionary and a family of 9, we have traveled Mexico extensively over the past 25 years. NEVER have we had one bad experience.
 Insurance is not required however you will spend extra time (in jail) if you wreck and do not have it or lots of $$$$$$. Use a reputable company for liability. Sanborns is a good one
 When I go for extended periods of  time, I purchase enough insurance to get me to a large city and then buy some for a longer period of time.  Tomas

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 06:48:25 AM »
I thought that I had replyed that I am pretty sure that our insurance in the US is just as good in Canada.
Was it deleted?  If so...why?
Thanks
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
 Jack sometimes it is Gremlins, they love to play havoc with bus nuts!!! They enjoy migrating around bus conversions from system to system. They also become dormant to lull you into a false sense of security and then they strike without mercy. One of there favorite things is to keep something from working without leaving any clues. So you go to repair it and nothing is wrong, this sends them into fits of ecstasy after which they will leave you alone for a bit.
 If you really want to see them in action, go into Mexico without Mexican insurance ;D
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »
Patrick - I've got a quote right now from Mexico Bob for coverage based on $80,000 value for $464.50

Niles - I don't know what you are referring to but you are wrong about the Mexican government & insurance.  They couldn't care less whether you do or don't have insurance.  You are right that they will check your ownership prior to issuing the temporary vehicle import permit but there is absolutely no requirement to demonstrate insurance at that point.  
R.J.(Bob) Evans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal