Author Topic: Ooops, The DUMMY let the Fishy run out of Fuel..  (Read 6977 times)

Offline superpickle

Ooops, The DUMMY let the Fishy run out of Fuel..
« on: October 25, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »
 ::)

Now what do i do.. it wont start and the batts are dead,, Got a charger on them but Whats going to get the fuel to the engine ?  ???

Dont have any Either ?
Could get some but is that going to Prime it ?

Do i just Krank it till it gets there  ???

....................... ::)

Oh bother..  :o

Paul...
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Ooops, The DUMMY let the Fishy run out of Fuel..
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »
You can try filling the fuel filter and cranking. If it turns over and dies, do it again. Do this a few times and maybe it will take.

Chances are, though, that you'll need to push fuel (or pull it) from the tank. Best way to do this is an electric fuel pump. Many of us hook one up permanently in parallel to the fuel line so we can use it when we change the filter, or when we do a bozo, like you did.

You can try any of the variations...
Garden sprayer with fuel connected into the primary filter fitting is one I've seen done. Spray fuel in and through the fuel pump.

You can try removing the secondary filter line and pressurizing the tank with air to push fuel through the line, primary, pump and to the secondary. If you can get it through the pump, it should start.

Get the batteries charged first. No use cranking it if you don't have fuel there, because the mechanical pump will not self prime.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »
If you don't have a built-in fuel primer, you may have to pressurize the fuel tank.  I ran out 100 yards from the pumps.  Cost me $200.00 and a four hour delay.

Anyway,  fill the filters up with fuel, (after charging the bat's)  take a rag and air compressor, Stick the air hose in the tank filler, stuff the rag around the hole.
By filling the tank with air,,, not a lot of pressure, you will force fuel into the lines and engine.

Anyway, that's cost me $200 to learn,  the bus started right up.

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline sommersed

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
In a pinch, an empty dish soap plastic bottle will work.  Dawn type containers have a pull up top with a nozzleI
kind of opening.  Just fill it with diesel and hold it against the opening at the primary filter (screw removed) and squirt it in, refill and do it again, and maybe again.  If you get the diesel past the fuel pump, and start the bus with an open throttle, it  will start, pass air, and keep going most of the time!

Ed

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »
Theres also the "ELCHEAPO" quick fix I learned from our very own Mike aka "MAK" the owner of this great board him self! Get a dish soap bottle or an old quart size 90W grease bottle (which ever besure to clean it good) then after filling the filter look on the filter housing block and you should be able to remove one of the "spare" plugs. Then have some one crank it for you while you insert the bottle tip tightly in the "hole" and squeeze the bottle! Should pick up and run like a champ! It's never let me down and comes in handy in the middle of no where with out having to find and rig a pump! ;D  BK  ;D

By the way Gumpy's suggestion works well also too! (especially own yer own bus!) But when ya drive many, many different vehicles alot especially repos!Or stop on the side of the road to help a fellow bus operator out, our get called out on service calls. I found a cheap bottle can always be found! I've even gone as far as buying one of the little quart bottles of LUCUS and pouring it all in the oil of an engine, than rinsing it once with diesel and then using it as a primer! Cheap & fast! FWIW ;D  BK  ;D

I see ED posted while I was being long winded and typing hunt & peck style! LOL!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline superpickle

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »
Thamks guys  ;D
That might do it, I'll let ya know..  ;)
Bats charging all night.. Should be ok in the morning..  ;D

Paul.....
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 04:35:43 AM »
We just took the filters off and filled them up and back on and started right up Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline superpickle

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
Took filters off, Filled them.. Pressurized tank Many times.. No start..
Loosend filters to see if  fuel comes out.Pressured tank again. Nothing..  ???
I guess something is Clogged up..  ???

Paul...  :-[
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
Took filters off, Filled them.. Pressurized tank Many times.. No start..
Loosend filters to see if  fuel comes out.Pressured tank again. Nothing..  ???
I guess something is Clogged up..  ???

Paul...  :-[                 

Paul try the bottle trick with someones help! First pull the filters and be sure they are all the way full, then put back on. Then take one of the plugs out of the filter "block" (or housing, mount whatever you choose to call it! As I've heard it called all the above!) and stick the bottle tip in til tight and squeeze the bottle while your helper cranks it over! This trick has never failed me yet! (I used to do the same thing by myself with a remote pump such as Gumpy suggested, but the bottle is cheaper & faster to set up!)
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Sammy

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »
BK, I made one with a pump sprayer from Home Depot - the kind you spray wood preservative on a deck or fence with. Make sure you take the plug out of the secondary filter housing.
I also made a real simple one with a check valve and a piece of line - have check valve flow facing into the filter housing, crank engine from rear run switches and blow into the line. It will prime a non-DDEC engine.
Sounds silly, but works good too.  8)

Dallas

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
To add to what BK and Sammy have posted, as soon as the engine fires off, pull the throttle wide open and hold it for a few seconds.
This will allow the pump to force all the air back through the lines to the tank.

Remember, this is a Detroit and the easiest way to deal with a DD is to slam your hand in the door just as hard as you can before attempting to do anything with it. This puts you in the right frame of mind for the rest of the session.

Dallas

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 11:24:38 PM »
"Anyway,  fill the filters up with fuel, (after charging the bat's)  take a rag and air compressor, Stick the air hose in the tank filler, stuff the rag around the hole.
By filling the tank with air,,, not a lot of pressure, you will force fuel into the lines and engine."

The fuel return line would also be pressurised so would this work?

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
Hi Guys,
I have to laugh at all the advice that has been offered. You have all forgotten the most important thing. PUT SOME FUEL IN THE TANK!!! before you try all the other things. As I remember it, you are giving advise to the originator of the "MAROON". LOL
Good luck, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline 4106-123

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
get a outboard fuel line primer bulb a hose put it in the line from the fuel tank to first filter then just squeze the bulb up to prime

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »
But as Sam says, you better put some fuel in the tank first. LOL
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal