Author Topic: 2010 Engines  (Read 2206 times)

Offline TomC

2010 Engines
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:41:32 AM »
Interesting turn of events recently.  Cummins was originally the first to come out and said they were going to use Urea (a ammonia based liquid [a polite way to say chicken piss]) to control the exhaust emissions in a reaction chamber (all that would come out of the tail pipe would be nitrogen [of which our air is 78%] and water vapor).  Soon all other engine manufacturers have concurred that Urea will be the way to get the exhaust emissions down. Now Cummins has announced that in concert with Scania, have developed a new fuel injection system with enhanced exhaust recirculation that will meet the 2010 emission standards without the use of Urea.  We already see the Cummins 6.7 liter Dodge pickup meet the 2010 standards.  This is really big since if Cummins can do their engines without Urea, but everyone else is going to use Urea, Cummins is going to have both a huge sales and price advantage over Detroit, Caterpillar, International and Volvo (Mack no longer makes engines).  Let the engine wars begin!! Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Dallas

Re: 2010 Engines
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:37 AM »
That brings into play a whole new industry.

Some one will have to collect the chicken doo and separate the pee from the poo. ( How do you tell the pee from the poo, anyway?)

It could become a highly specialized and intricate field, such as, are free range chickens better at making exhaust grade pee than you run of the mill fryers in long houses?

Does a white Leghorn perform less well than a Rhode Island Red? what about bantams?

And will the Turkey faction be left out in the cold?

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:00:48 AM »
Tom - I have the 6.7L Cummins in a one ton 4x4 with the 6 speed auto.  It is very quiet, and very clean on the exhaust; not the usual diesel smell.  The throttle response is very crisp; a variable turbo helps it spool up quicker.  I only have 700 miles on this, but so far I am impressed with the power train.  If this approach works out, the bigger brothers of this engine will make a great bus power plant.  I have a Cummins training power point slide set that someone sent me on how the system works (somewhere on the old hard disk here) and it is really interesting what make it tick. 

The key to happiness with this system is getting the exhaust up to temp.  A bunch of short trips or repeated excessive idling will cause it to go into an "active" cleaning mode where diesel is injected in front of the exhaust reactor to catalyze the removal of soot from the soot trap (can't recall the cool sounding name for this).  When the system enters such a cleaning mode, the mpg goes down.  Note that the fuel does not burn in the exhaust when injected like this, so it is not the fire hazard that it might sound like.  All in all very cool, BUT, it lacks that sexy lope of my 8v71!

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

maria-n-skip

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Dallas,

Sorry but I don't think I can stop at the chicken ranch for an exhaust fill up.

I guess I'll just have to stop at the fertilizer plant instead.

Skip

Offline Sammy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:31:14 PM »
Dallas, one has corn it it.  8)

Offline JohnEd

Chicken stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »
Dallas,

You have to post more often.  Really!  More often. :D :D :D

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »
I have not heard the Urea word in years and may be wrong , but the Urea I am familiar with was a dry powder we used in certain animal feed prouducts that was very high in nitrogen but was a man made product. As I remember it, it took a rumennent to digest it.
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal