Author Topic: For those who have bought new windows  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Paladin

• Dave Knight
For those who have bought new windows
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:03:24 PM »
I'm talking Peninsula etc and not takeouts from another bus.

Who did you buy from?
How much did they cost?
What was their lead time to manufacture them and ship?
Was shipping a large expense?
What size,  what tint etc were they? What options drove the price up?
Would you use that company again?
Would you choose for the same options or what would you do differently?
Openings, up from bottom or side to side and why?

Thanks,

-Dave
'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."

belfert

Re: For those who have bought new windows
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
I bought Motion Windows.  My windows are 49" wide by 36" tall.  Size was dictated by the original window holes.  I wasn't about to reframe most of my bus like Craig did.  Don't recall what the tint is on my windows.  I got the double pane model.  They slide side to side.  None of the vendors I found offered an awning window.  A window that slides up/down would be fairly impractical as you would need a system like a double hung window at home.

I paid $385 per window for six identical windows.  The only option offered was egress, but my windows are big enough not to need egress.  The more windows the same the better the discount.  Shipping was $373 to Minnesota last August.  Lead time was fairly long at eight weeks as they had a huge backlog of orders to work through.  You'll want to speak with Jeff Kemp in sales as he quoted a much lower price than someone else I talked to while Jeff was on vacation.

Yes, I would use them again.  I was going to reuse my orginal windows, but they all needed new glass.  MCI wanted $400 each just for the glass (Others wanted $600+) plus I would have to hire someone to do the labor.  The original windows also didn't open (except egress) so new windows ended up being the best option.  I was not originally going to skin over the unused window holes, but reading about folks who covered original windows on the inside and regret it changed my mind.  Of course, when I decided to get new windows I had no choice but to skin over the window openings.

belfert

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
Also, Motion makes direct replacement windows for MCI 8/9s, but you have reskinned so it doesn't much matter.

Motion Windows is the new name for Peninsula's RV window division.

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 03:44:46 PM »
I also used Peninsula Motion windows.  I kept the original openings in my transit.  Because of the weird window opening, the windows are bolted from the outside only with no vanity ring on the inside-so they are actually wider than the bus-which gives a bit bigger feel to the inside.   They are 78 x 34 single pane and lightly gray tinted-single slider with screen.  Also had the two smaller solid windows behind the front replaced, and the drivers window.  I did not tint the drivers window since California is so sensitive about tinted drivers windows.  Have been very pleased with the windows, sans one point-the sliding screens are very thin-translated cheaply made and have to be very careful note to tweak them.  Have bent one, but was able to bend it back already.  Granted Peninsula can't make the windows as heavy duty as original (the original windows were about twice as heavy), but should make them a littl better.  I will use them again.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Stormcloud

• FMCA#407220
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
Hi:

I took a different path....I bought windows on the e-place, and then made the holes to fit the windows.

I waited and searched until I found some that were about the right size, and I actually had four of the windows shipped to my home 2 months before I bought my MC7.

Stormtite windows are made about a 2 hour drive from here, and they seemed to be relatively expensive (what isn't for this hobby!)
I was able to purchase all 7 windows on eB__ and pay for UPS shipping for all 7 for the price of just 1 Stormtite! And all 7 windows are the same brand and same tint.

Maybe just lucky, but I looked at a LOT of windows prior to purchasing the 2 lots.

It worked for me!

Mark

Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
somewhere near Yuma, Arizona in winter(but not 2020)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal