Author Topic: Vanner Equilizer question...  (Read 3947 times)

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
Vanner Equilizer question...
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
Hi!

My little neoplan has a vanner equalizer, and I see that it has a 24 volt post as well as a 12 volt post, and a ground.

The former owner purchased a power convertor of some type to drop 24 volts to 12. I have a suspicion that may be my power drain. He has it hooked directly to the +  and - post on the one battery, and nothing at all on the other.

Is it possible to eliminate that thing totally, and run those wires from the 12 volt post on the vanner, and if so, should i ground to that negative post there as well, or make a new ground someplace on the chassis...

I dont like that little box on the dash...

I have no clue about this 24 volt system, and I think it may be a problem. I am used to 12V

thanks as always

shawn
Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Vanner Equilizer question...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
Shawn,

Is the Vanner hooked up now?    Does it work?

Maybe that unit was put in to supply 12vdc in place of the Vanner?

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:38:47 PM »
Hi Shawn,

According to the manual that came with my Vanner Eq, you should never connect anything to the Vanner except the battery.  All loads (12 and 24 volt) as well as chargers connect directly to the batteries.  The Vanner doesn't supply 12 volts; it just brings the low battery (one supplying 12 volts) back up and keeps the high battery from over charging.  The 24 V terminal connects to the high positive post, the 12 V terminal goes to the terminals where the batteries hook together, and the GND terminal connects to the negative that's the chassis ground.  Go to www.vanner.com and you should be able to find specs, hookup diagrams, and general info on it.  Good luck!

David

Offline 86neoplan

• My Little Bus
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:16:07 PM »
so in other words, i can just tap for 12 volts from one of the two batteries, and not use the other one, so i dont need that convertor?

shawn
Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:25:17 PM »
Yes, you can tap 12 volts between the ground and the pos terminal of the low battery (or the neg terminal of the high battery since they're joined at that point).  Maybe the convertor was easier to install instead of having to run a wire for 12 volts from the center tap up to the dash.

David

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal