Author Topic: Whats the Opinion on Newell Coachs ???  (Read 3461 times)

Offline superpickle

Whats the Opinion on Newell Coachs ???
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:18:21 AM »
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline TomC

Re: Whats the Opinion on Newell Coachs ???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »
Excellent motorhomes.  One of the few that are made from scratch with no outside chassis.  I personally wouldn't buy it because of the small windows (although you could probably enlarge them) and the real achille's heal is the Cummins 903.  They haven't been installed in trucks or buses for many years and getting someone to work on them might be a challenge.  Cummins does still make the 903 for military, but it is a completely different engine.  With it set at only 350hp with the automatic, it should be alright.  At $25,000 it is a good deal and you'll have a quality built motorhome.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »
I have an old semi tractor that has the VT 903 in it and works fine. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:59:08 AM »
Oh...I like the fold up steps up the left side. I could use something like that, but would probably do mine on the rear

Jay
87 SaftLiner.
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 11:05:39 AM »
Probably the best built motor home on the market. It is not a bus conversion. They buy a truck chassis of some kind and builtd it up from scratch. see here:

http://www.newellcoach.com/flash.html
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 11:11:45 AM »
Paul,

Looks pretty good.

And having a mid entry is nice under the awning,  not scrambling up front in the weather like most of us.

Thie ones I have seen in person have held up well.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »
Richard, fwiw they build their own chassis from the start to finish like Tom C said.Vogue did the same on its 5000 model made in Pryor OK

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »
Richard, fwiw they build their own chassis from the start to finish like Tom C said.Vogue did the same on its 5000 model made in Pryor OK

Thanks. I did not perceive that from Tom's post. Guess I am a little dense.

I looked at buying one many years ago but did not remember that at that time they built their own chassis. I purchased DML instead.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dallas

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 01:36:41 PM »
I worked on a 1973 model and though it was a well built unit, it was a nightmare to work on.

The one I had to work on had rivets popped out all around the rear 1/3, and the rivets aren't structural, they only hold the siding together except on the longitudinal belt lines. The siding is put on then spray foamed inside before they put in the interior. This holds it to the framing, and by the way makes it almost impossible to replace inner or outer panels.
The engine in the one I worked on was a 3208 Cat with a 6 speed Allison, and was under powered enough that it would lose 3-4 mph on any rise in the freeway. On Overpasses it would lose 7-10 mph.
Going down the road it would flay as fast as you would want, except when you hit a little rise.
The front generator was easy to see but kind of a pain to service. I almost had to have a universal joint installed in my arm between the wrist and elbow to get to the oil filter.

The DD3 brakes were so close to the frame that to adjust them it was easier to take off the wheels than get underneath. Maybe if I had had a pit or a service lift, it would have been easier.

IHTH

Dallas

Offline Skykingrob

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 06:24:42 PM »
Hey Paul
I owned a 1989 40' Newell with an 8v92. As others have said the Newells are all built from the ground up completely from scratch. They ride increduably because of weight and its distrubation. The quality of workmanship is top notch. The one thing I can tell you, the Newell is built and has the same reputation as the old Volvos. If you have an accident in them, unless hit by a semi-truck or train, you will probably not even sustain a scratch.
To me, there are 3 negatives on this coach. The windows are smaller but that changed with the 1988 models. The second is the 903 Cummins. Finding someone to work on that engine could well be a challange. The third, I don't care for wood grained laminate which is what is used for the cabinet work. However, each to his own on likes/dislikes.
There was a 1988 40' Newell on eBay just 3-4 weeks ago which sold for $45K with 89K miles. I sold mine to a man from Alaska 8 years ago for $135K, so the price for the one you're looking at is very attractive. Finally, the factory is in Miami, OK and invites people for tours. In fact, though I am converting a Prevost, my wife and I are still members of the Newell Club. They have some great factory sponsored trips 4 times per year. Many of the new models are $1.0-1.5 million!!!

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
Missouri

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal