Author Topic: Zimtok is a Super Shifter!  (Read 6822 times)

Dallas

Zimtok is a Super Shifter!
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »

Offline JohnEd

Re: Zimtok is a Super Shifter!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »
Thank you Dallas.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
Neat! Now someone needs to do a video demo of shifting without the clutch.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:13:09 AM »
Notice at the very end once in 4th, he pulls out the hand throttle and sets the engine at cruise speed at full throttle.  Easy to do when you have a stock engine that just barely gets up to cruise speed.  Even though it is convenient, a very dangerous way to do your cruise control.  Better to have a King Cruise or similar that will both truly control speed and disconnect when the brake is touched.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:15:14 AM »
Hmmm in my 50+ yrs of driving I always taught Clutch for starting and stopping. I'll be darned

Larry
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Offline gomer

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:12:36 AM »
I saw the video and made comment about him standing on his tippy toes other than that I would love to see the video of no clutch made.  I also thought theclutch was for backing up mostly and then getting it pointed in the right direction and letting her go!  shucks what am I missing ?
 Gomer
as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer

Offline lostagain

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:13:56 AM »
I use my hand throttle mostly on the freeway. My bus runs on the governor all the time anyway. It is close at hand and is easy and quick to push down to disengage if necessary. Going up hills, I downshift without taking it off. Going up a long grade is when it is really nice.

When we dead headed those Courier 96s 30 years ago, when we met another Brewster bus, we would set the hand throttle then step down in the stairwell, left hand on the wheel, just peaking over the dash and go by driverless! Good for a laugh at the bar later. We were young and foolish then. I can admit to it now...

There are other foolish stunts we used to do that you'd have to by me a drink to talk about...
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline pipes

• Tug boat dude.
  • I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria
    • My eagle bus project
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »
To followup on Lostagin's story.....Years ago I had a WW2 military 6X6 tank truck that I used as a septic pumper. It had no side doors!
                                      My wife was riding with me and I had her grab the steering wheel down low, then I pulled out the hand throttle and turned sideways with my feet on running board. hands on my knees. I'll never forget the reactions of the people in the oncoming vehicles as they passed by!!!!!!!!!!
Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.

Offline gus

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »
Maybe I missed something but shifting without the clutch once underway is no different than with except you don't use the clutch??

There is no special, secret system.

Ask any truck driver, they do it all the time.

TomC,

I've used my hand throttle for cruise ever since I got my 4104, I wouldn't be able to drive much if I didn't.

It is not held by a notch, turning it over eliminates the notches and it is simple to push back in. The bus will quickly slow once the brakes are applied even with the hand throttle open.

I don't use full throttle because my engine doesn't like it but once it is in fourth I can set the throttle within 5 mph, just from experience,and sit back and wait for it to come up to speed. With a 671 it takes a while, kind of like a locomotive!

Using it is also about the only way I can tell if I'mgoing uphill on some of those long, straight western interstates.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »
Personally didn't use the clutch for much but starting and stopping.  My truck has almost 1.2 million miles on it, and the clutch is original! 

Yeah, your right, the 6-71 has such little power that even leaving the hand throttle out, the brakes could more than overpower it.  I stand corrected.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:48:45 AM »
I wish you guys would stop saying the 6-71 is underpowered.

True it does not make the power of newer and larger engines.....the real problem....

is that most 6-71's are tired.

for those who are familiar with the PA turnpike.  my former 4104 could run the entire western half at the speed limit.....no downshifts.  30,000 #

Offline steamguy56

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
Dad always would say something about leaving my foot on the clutch even when going thru the gears.
           Danny

Dallas

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »
Dad always would say something about leaving my foot on the clutch even when going thru the gears.
           Danny

My step dad never said anything, he always had a more direct method.... he'd smack me upside the head until I saw stars, even in the daytime.  :o ??? :P

Dallas

Offline zimtok

• Eddie Smith, the reason for having the bus
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 02:36:46 PM »
OK,
My video is not perfect.

Tiptoes: I was trying to keep my right leg out of the way to show my left leg on the clutch pedal.
Foot on clutch: I have no excuse. but I will say that i do not put pressure on the pedal.
Cruise: I like the pedal lock, and I have no problem setting it for any speed (usually full throttle) and if I hav eto make a quick stop I just push in the clutch and hit the brake. The engine can stay at high idle until I can release the lock.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
I used to use the hand throttle as a "cruise control" all the time--empty.  Never with any school kids on board and NEVER hauling a full load.  Dead heading through......yep.....all the time.   Lazy, I quess.  Did try to keep an alert look at developing traffic patterns doing it, which was probably a good idea.

We were taught to always use the clutch when shifting and always use neutral if sitting for more than about 15 seconds.  But then again, all the Crown buses had clutch brakes which were a great idea and equipped soooss since they were....school buses.   Again long ago and far away.  :) :) :)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »
OK,
My video is not perfect.

Tiptoes: I was trying to keep my right leg out of the way to show my left leg on the clutch pedal.
Foot on clutch: I have no excuse. but I will say that i do not put pressure on the pedal.
Cruise: I like the pedal lock, and I have no problem setting it for any speed (usually full throttle) and if I hav eto make a quick stop I just push in the clutch and hit the brake. The engine can stay at high idle until I can release the lock.

Zimtok I thought the video was awesome! But I did learn many, many years ago that by merely "resting" your foot on the pedal not intentionally applying pressure. That even though you aren't meaning/intending too, but you are actually applying a very slight pressure which is sometimes just enough to make the throw out bearing ride the fingers of the pressure plate which causes premature throw out bearing failure! FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal