Author Topic: honda 3kw generator questions  (Read 9462 times)

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
honda 3kw generator questions
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:09:49 AM »
I am thinking it would be nice to have one of these little guys on board. Almost 75% of the time i run my generator, i don't need my large one. I could use the small honda/yamaha ones just fine to make coffee, waffles, chage batteries etc.

I have looked at the honda ones recently, and wonder if anyone has found a way to use the electric start on the honda by a remote switch from inside? I really don't like the idea of having to go outside to start it up. 

Also, has anyone tried to run an exhaust off of it to the outside of a bay?

The economy of these little things is really attractive.

John Z
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Re: honda 3kw generator questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »
I used 2 of the Honda EU2000i's for a while. I had them mounted to the back of the bus. Got to be a pain, going out to start ect. I changed to a Honda Ev4000.
 I toyed with the 3000 idea, but would not work in my situation. I cannot see were remoteing the start switch would present any problem. Honda may even sell a remote switch by now. The exhaust I would be very careful of.
 All in all I think its a grate idea!!
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
i keep looking at the 2000 which is about $950.  for the price of the 3000, you can get 2-2000's.  a 2k would run 1 heater, or 1 a/c, or the toaster, or hairdryer or hotwater.  could also run the TV and my notebook PC.  Anything that requires 3k+ would be enough make it worthwhile to start the bigun'.

there is a remote starter for a 2k honda at extra $180 i think.  only disadvantage i see is that now you have to carry gas and fill it up periodically.

given the cost of batteries every 5 years and the converter/inverter, i'm thinkin honda is cheap.  as long as i can find a big enough chain to keep it running alongside my bus.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
OK, i better get back to the store to check out the 2k unit. I did not know that the smaller units had electric start. I thought only the 3k had elec start. At the store here in town the 2k was 879.00. I forgot what the 3k was.

John Z
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »
 The 2K does not come with electric start. But with some cables, pullys and thingmajigs, you might remote the pull start ;D What difference would it make if the rope were 3ft or 25ft?
 The 2K will struggle but will start and run a 13.5K roof air. two of the 2K units can be connected for 4K of power.
 After exploring the options, I decided that a decent inverter/charger and a small battery bank (4 6V golf cart type) was the optimal way to go. There is no right way to do it, you have to look at all the options and decide what is the best for you.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
Your right about doing it your way. I already have the battery bank and inverter. But when boondocking, i will need to charge those batteries up. solar is too expensive. The little 3k gen seems ideal. Good economy and very quiet. I can see myself running it for 1 1/2 hrs or so each morning while breakfast is made and the water is heated, and batteries charged. I can't do all those things off a battery bank and inverter.
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Offline gus

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 05:46:44 PM »
John,

Generators need to be used often to stay in good condition.

In my case at least, I doubt that I will ever wear my new Honds EV6000 out so I use it every chance I get.

What I am saying is that your large, expensive gen needs to be exercised. Using it as you described seems to me to be a good way of keeping it in good condition. You can buy a whole lot of fuel for what you will spend on a smaller gen.

That sounds good but I think the real deal is that you just want one of these little guys, busnuts are like that!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

cody

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:50:41 PM »
I just swapped off my dads golf cart for one of the 3K hondas and I love it, it's so quiet I can't hear it in the bus with it in the bay right below me.  Honda doesn't make a remote for it but people have put the wireless car remote starts on them, the drawback is that it has a manual choke, the car remote is meant to be used with an automatic choke.  I haven't tryed it under load yet but it sure is a nice little generator. 

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
i think i made an oops.  i was looking at http://www.hayesequipment.com/honda/generators/honda_generators.htm and i thought they said they had a remote start for the 2000 or anything else.  but no, they don't.  sorry.

so there is an advantage to the 3k honda.  it can be remote start.  you might also look at those guys cause they seem to have good prices on yamaha which has a 2400w with remote start extra.

the smaller genset would let me use it when the bigun is just too noisy, and i thought you were always supposed to load the larger units, not just use them to make toast or watch tv.

i hear the honda's disappear without a big chain on them also.

Cody, hayes (see above link) says they have a full remote including choke?
Tom

cody

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 11:12:46 AM »
I just checked out the hayes link, that looks exactly like what I would want for the generator, I tested the generator this morning under load and am really happy with it, I started and ran one of my carrier 15,000 HP's and it started right up and ran perfectly, the generator powered up while the roof unit was starting and after it was running the generator settled right down and purred.  I'm not sure yet what else I can run at the same time but I had the lights on in the bus and the tv, all with the roof air going, I'll play with it some more and see how much it will do but so far I like it. 

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »
if anyone is looking for a main generator, i just saw an 8kw diesel boxed and quiet new genset on ebay for   $999 plus shipping $150.

Diesel 8000w Ultra Quiet new Generator 8000 watt Item number: 300168715571 

seems like a steal, if you need a genset.

also, there is a 3500w "quiet" genset at maxtool for $450?  30 day money back, 99% positive

Quiet Portable Electric Start RV Gas Powered Generator
One Year Warranty, Super Quiet, & Affordable Item number: 130170921638

just reporting, i don't know these guys.  i don't know how much louder 69db is than 58db.
Tom

Offline JimG

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »
The Honda 3K can handle up to a 13.5 AC unit according to their information. The 15K Carrier is in a larger category and has some high starting loads. Jim G. - 1979 RTS-II
Jim & Linda Gochnauer Plain City, Ohio
1979 RTS-II 40'X96"

cody

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 08:29:54 PM »
I was very pleased when it powered up my 15K carrier without a whimper from the generator, it handled the load nicely then settled down after the Hp was running, the specs did say it would handle a 13.5K unit and my unit is beyond that, but it did just fine with it, but I didn't have anything else running except a couple of lights, while the roof air was running I turned on the tv and a few other things and it handled them great, like I said I'm well pleased.

Offline John Z

• "Tubby"
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 08:24:54 AM »
Gus, thank you for throwing that splash of cold water my way! I have decided for the time being to just use my Onan. It is noisy but runs so well, it will work out for the time being. I will be keeping my eyes open for a deal on the 3k Honda or even one of the bigger honda units made for rv's. Thanks everyone for your input.
www.silverbrook-mn.com

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »
Hi folks, I looked at a one of the one cylinder diesel generators a while back.  A friend noted that one cylinder would make it vibrate a lot.  Something to think about.  Anyone ever had a one cylinder generator and had a problem with vibration?
Thanks in advance!
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal