Author Topic: MC7 Front Door  (Read 2826 times)

Offline gtd

MC7 Front Door
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »
I need help.   When I bought my MC7, I could sort of slam the door and the handle would go past center and hold (lock) the door closed and then you would open it with the push button on the front of the coach. 

The other day The door swung all the way open and now no matter how hard you slam it (only from outside) the handle will not go past center and hold the door closed.  When I close it from the  inside it works normal (but maybe a little harder to push over center) 

I looked at all the hinges and all seem tight.  How do you adjust this?  What did I bend? Help?

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
Re: MC7 Front Door
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
This happened to my 8.  It turns out that the spring that pulls the handle towards the locking position had broken.  It's located behind two panels - an exterior panel and another one behind it - centered between the wipers on the front of the bus.  I went to Lowe's and got a couple of different springs 'til I got one that fit.  The original, on an 8 anyway, is sort of egg shaped and works much better than the one I replaced it with.  Originals are available from Luke.  I need to order one, but just haven't gotten around to it.  Propping the door closed with a piece of wood from the outside got old quick!

David

Offline gtd

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
I was looking at my manual.  The panels between the wipers is where I am going to look next.  I am assuming that the spring should be right there? easy to see.   I'll let you know what I find.

Blocking the door would be a pain.  At least I have a deadbolt on the door I can lock to keep it closed.  Thanks for your help.

Offline gtd

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »
David, You were right.  The spring is broken. >:(     It is egg shaped and about 3" long or so.  One of the end hooks is gone.    So now I have to order one.  I am a newbie so who or what is Luke?  How do I order or should I say where do I order a new spring?  Does Luke have a website?

Thanks for the help.  I looked in my manual but I didn't see anything about a spring.  If you wouldn't have told me about it I might have overlooked it, when I pulled the panels.  It was just hanging way in the back, not even on the door mechanism.

Offline junkman42

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:15:38 PM »
My mc7 door will not close from the outside and is quite hard from the inside.  What do the panels look like that give access to the area where the spring is located.  Is it possible that the panel that You refer to is the plate held by four screws that has mci on it?  I have greased the door but this post caught My eye.  My door would never close since I have owned the beast.  Any help most appreciated.  john

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
It is egg shaped and about 3" long or so.  One of the end hooks is gone.    So now I have to order one.  I am a newbie so who or what is Luke?  How do I order or should I say where do I order a new spring?  Does Luke have a website?

Luke is a benevolent entity from an advanced dimension, who through his divine knowledge, and holy supply depot, help us keep our machines healthy.

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline mikelutestanski

• Mikes Metal Mistress
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »
Hello:    FYI   I have a 72 MCI 7     now on the top of the original dash  passenger side is a plate with 2 screws . The plate has rounded corners and the sides are kicked sideways like a rhombus .The two screws are attached to a plate that when tightened locks the top to the dash..Under the plate is the rod which has a spring and a stop fastened to the frame. When the door is opened the rod slides out and the spring is compressed against the stop.   there is a double ended nut(turnbuckle) located in the main door rod connected to the handle (located under the same plate to the right).There is  two bolts  one at each end which lock this nut in place. 
     Now in my opinion you should not remove the slidy rod with the spring because when the door slams open the spring help stop the door and acts like a cushion to slow it down ... the door is very heavy and awkward when loosened so please use a jack and a helper to hold it when and if you remove the door. I strongly suggest you mark the hinges before you loosen anything so that you can get it back to where it was....  Don't forget the lock  air operated cylinder; it will pull the rear of the door in about 1/4 inch more so its worth fixing.Also keeps the real boss (first mate)  happy when it is latched.
     MCI 7 doors are touchy because they are on the front curve.  They are sensitive to small adjustments  and shimming the main hinge is usually necessary.   whistling  and leaking are common complaints...   
    THe manual has a section on door adjustments...    happy bussin    mike
Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R

Offline junkman42

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »
You guys are marvelous.  I pulled the front plate off and under the plate was a access panel.  After removing , it is obvious that the spring is gone.  I can see that one end goes on the bolt holding the heim joint on but not quite sure where the other end goes?  Any possible idea?  Thanks,John

Offline ol713

• ol713
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »
My mc7 door will not close from the outside and is quite hard from the inside.  What do the panels look like that give access to the area where the spring is located.  Is it possible that the panel that You refer to is the plate held by four screws that has mci on it?  I have greased the door but this post caught My eye.  My door would never close since I have owned the beast.  Any help most appreciated.  john

Hi;
  Your problem sounds like a linkage adjustiment.  I also have a MC-7 and I found a turnbuckle type
  thing that you can adjust the linkage.  Mine only took 1/4 turn and am happy with it.  Now all I need
  to is fix the air lock on the door.  Anyway, the acess for the turnbuckle is located behind the grill on
  the dash just as you enter the coach.  It has two zuse fastiners holding the grill.  It is  a bit of a
  streach to reach the adjustiment as it is way up under the dash.  Also, it takes a big wrench to fit.

Good luck,   Merle.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »
Or you could just install a camper door! LOL!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:56:59 AM »
GTD -

Luke owns US Coach, loacated in Berlin, NJ.  His toll-free number is 1-888-262-2434.  Call anytime between 9-5 Eastern, M-F.

Luke's a strong supporter of the busnut community, has fair prices, and ships the same day via UPS when you use plastic money.  I strongly recommend that you memorize his number, and that you help support those who support us.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline gtd

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 08:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the Info on Luke.  I called him and he wont have any springs in until next week >:(    But on a good note they are only about 6 bucks ;D   Nice, easy and cheap fix.    I will call him and place my order after the Holiday.  thanks every one for the info.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal