Author Topic: honda 3kw generator questions  (Read 9444 times)

Offline white-eagle

Re: honda 3kw generator questions
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »
another added consideration or maybe incentive to buy a small generator vs an inverter and betteries -

my brother works at Crown Battery that makes batteries of all kinds, so i asked him about pricing for 4 or 6 big 6v GC batteries.  He said lead has skyrocketed to $1.80/lb from last year's price around $0.30, so the $70 batteries are now $180.

Guess there was just too much demand for toys from china and China bought up all the lead to make the toys.  (that would be funny if it weren't true and probably on purpose).

i'm gonna just use my 12kw for now since i'll probably need the heat anyway.  next summer, i'll revisit the small genset discussions.

check out that hayes website if you are gonna get a honda 3kw.  they do have wireless remote, covers and a few other items, as well as other brands at the same or better prices, also quiet at 59db.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »
I do not mean to make this a political rant.  However, lead aint all the chinamen are buying up.  Wiring of which most comes from China has also skyrocketed. 
Now one day if they decided to price it 10 or 20 times what it is now...............
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline gus

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 06:40:55 PM »
John,

Sorry if I spoiled your fun. I had an Onan air cooled and the vibration and noise drove me nuts.

The EV6010 is made for RVs, it fits into the 4104 AC engine compartment very nicely but even so there isn't a lot of extra space, it takes in all cooling air at the side of the bus and exhausts it all out the bottom. My bay has an open bottom so it is ideal if yours is the same. Water cooled is inherently quieter.

It is flat rated to 6KW.

One other thing, it has a remote control, almost essential in a bus.

This makes one nice installation, quiet and NO vibration. After all I had read about 3600rpm generators I thought this would be noisy but it is half the noise of my old 1800 rpm air cooled Onan.

I think I paid $4200 for the gen, exhaust/muffler and remote kits. You also have to build a box. I used insulated plywood even though Honda recommends metal.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal