Author Topic: HELP!! BROKEN BUS!  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
HELP!! BROKEN BUS!
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:49:48 AM »
Help!

Had a great run all the way to my father in law's place north of Puerto Vallarta.  Literally 2 minutes from his house and our 6 week parking spot we hit an unmarked tope (speedbump) and broke the a manifold off the bottom of my radiator.

Catastrophic instant loss of all coolant.  Luckily we were able to quickly fire up an back it into a safe parking spot.

I am having a really hard time finding anyone who can help me get the part.  Any help will be appreciated.  Don't have any part numbers but am posting pictures of the part in the hope that someone knows what it is and where to get it.

The first picture is of the flange where the broken part attaches.  The total length of the flange is 135mm, total width is 61mm.  The inside orifice is 70mm x 35mm.  The two bolt holes are 110mm on center apart.  This flange is an integrated part of the bottom of the rad itself.

Also attached are the pics of the broken manifold with an inlet and outlet that attach to my bottom rad hoses.

Aron.

Really, really blue in Mexico.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
Re: HELP!! BROKEN BUS!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
More pics.

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:52:49 AM »
sorry,

forgot to mention it's a 6N71 in a 4104 PD4104931.

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »
Hi Flyboy,
Sorry to hear about you trouble.
The first place I would go is to Luke at US coach.
With the photos and a talk with him AND his backyard of all kinds of buses , I think you'll be OK.

I know those topes can be wicked on the underside and the bus is bouncing to boot.
Let us know how it's coming along.
Frank

Dallas

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
Flyboy,

Your part number for the outlet is 2231474 and is the same on 3209,3612,4010,4101,4102,4103,4104,4509,5103 and5104
The part number for the water manifold outlet is 5173620 and is found on the same coaches.

Deans Coach in NC my have what you need, or many of the local junk yards may have one. That set up was very popular on both transit and Parlor coaches, as well as many old trucks and compressors or pumps.

http://www.deanscoachinc.com/

IHTH

Dallas

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:22:25 PM »
Thanks Dallas,

I will phone him right now...I'll let you know what I come up with.

Aron.

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:10:54 PM »
There's some mecanico's on the north side of PV, they can work wonders to fix the part and do a good job. There's allot of 2 stroke Detroit's in Mexico, should be able to find the part down there.

Where are you, in Bucerias or Sayulta. I usually try and follow the Hwy Trucks so I don't hit any unseen topes ... the truckers know where they all are and their stopping distance is about the same as the bus.

Ron

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 05:55:04 PM »
I'll echo what Ron said.  There's a ton of busses in Mexico and a bunch of them will still have 2 strokes in them.  Find the bus garage in PV.  Forget about getting something from the US unless you plan to drive to Tucson to get it.  I always pray that I will break down in Mexico rather than the US because their mechanics are so good. 

(added on edit) Should have mentioned this - the last time we were in Alamos I launched our fifth wheel off a stealth tope in Minas Nuevas.  I ended up replacing all 4 mainleafs before I left Mexico that trip.  En Mexico tienen mas topes que gente.  Keep your chin up - it will make a good story when you get home.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 06:05:26 PM »
If you can't source the part, someone down there will make something that works. Nothing as good (and bad sometimes) as a mexican mechanic (or as inexpensive) Had my fair share of high speed topes hits over the years.  The worst are the ones you have already passed before and you still don't notice the 2nd time.  Another note, when you are going to hit one, at the last moment, take your foot of the brakes so that the suspension can unload, this will reduce breakage.  IMHO,BTDT.  I would tow that baby to the parking spot and hit the beach, Patrick.

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
Dallas,

Rob at Dean's has the part...getting it here is the other side of the EQ.  Great guy to deal with, will try to source the part here in Vallarta first though.  Thanks for the help so far.  I will update as soon as I can on the progress.

Bob 'o N and Zubzub;

Thanks for the encouragement...I will keep a stiff upper lip 'n carry on.  It'll work out one way or another.  I discovered that the hit pushed the rad up far enough to contact the fan assembly.  Not too major though. May have to beat it into shape and do a test run once I get the part.

Sure do miss below freezing temps now that I'm working in 30 C heat and high humidity.  I look like something outta "Night of The Living Dead"!

Signing off for now.

Aron.

Offline Flyboy

• ontheroadtomexico
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »
Dallas,

Quick update...

Rob from Dean's Coach is shipping me the part to PV.  $136 and two business days via DHL.  I can't thank you enough for the help.  Let's keep our fingers crossed that all goes well from here.  I will update you on progress.

My e-mail is skedlies@yahoo.com

Could you ping me with yours just in case I need any other advice re technical stuff?

Talk to you soon.

Aron.

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 08:57:24 AM »
As a side note ... don't feel real bad about the 30 C deg weather ... we had snow in the Merrit and the Okanogan last night.
Ron

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »
Central west coast of Mex in November, HOT & HUMID! I was there in November a few years ago, 2yr old son and his mom;  NO AC, VW Eurovan, that's why I have a bus now. But the water is great, enjoy it now, it can get too  cold for long snorkelling by mid january. 
Good news about the part.  I'm not crazy about topes, but I think they save lives.  Without them some of them chavos would never slow down 'til they hit someone/thing.

Offline gus

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
If for some reason the part doesn't make it through the mail I bet someone there can weld or braze it for you. Those guys can do wonders because they often have no other choice than to repair these old parts.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal