Author Topic: OT: A program on TV yesterday about Alternativs fuels.  (Read 11027 times)

Offline superpickle

OT: A program on TV yesterday about Alternativs fuels.
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:40:42 PM »
One part was about a guy in LA that will convert your Diesel to Bio/Frier oil.. The said you can get Cotten seed oil to run well but Reclaimed Frier oil is the Best..
they didnt say a Word, about Getting charged with useing Illeagle Fues and getting a Huge Fine...

made me want to call someone and Yell at them..

Paul..... ???
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Re: OT: A program on TV yesterday about Alternativs fuels.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

Paul..... 
What do you mean, Paul? Who/why would you yell?

I was just over on the Bio/WVO thread in the Help section looking that over again. There is a ton of info there if you are looking for more info on the stuff.

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Ncbob

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »
Paul, there are those who will probably take me to task for offering this advice...but it goes back to the days when I was living on the farm with my Dad, one of the brightest guys I'd ever known, when he used to say, "Son, now let me tell you where the bear $hit in the buckwheat."...and I knew he meant business.......

You're sitting on about a $12,000 engine that was designed by the Engineers to run on Diesel Fuel.  It's yours...you own it and are responsible for its' repair and maintenance.

My question to you and all the other "alternative fuel" aficionados is:

Are you willing to gamble $12,000 of your future against a technology that was not approved by the people who designed the engine you're running in favor of the people who are making money with a prospective money saving vision which might cost them nothing ...but you... a year of college for one of your children?

Just thought I'd ask........

Bob

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:32:36 PM »
I do not know a tremendous amount about this subject, but commercial biodiesel is available here for about $3.30/gallon.  I thought that it was approved for most engines.  Although, from what I understand, you will need to remove incompatible rubber parts from your fuel system and be prepared to change out fuel filters often until the old diesel crud is washed out (one could steam the fuel tank instead).  It is something I would consider doing.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline superpickle

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:02 PM »
 ???

I think your Missing the point. They were telling how Grate this stuff is and that we would do well to Use it..
But they say NOTHING about the  Gestapo checking out your vehicle to see if you are Using Illegal Fuels. IE, the Fryer Oil.. and Fining you for it.. and making you buy a Fuel manufacturer Licence and Bond,for thousands of dollars. 
Does that Not sound like they are leaving out a Very important issue.

Is this Propaganda..
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline lyndon

• 1988 MC-9 DDC 6V92TA Fuller T-11605D
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
Illegal fuels? I'm not too well educated on bio-fuels, but jeez, I though you Americans had a free country down there. Can you really be fined for burning transfat in your diesel bus? I don't think we even have a law to prevent hooking the black tank to the engine, if you could figure out a way to make it work. Not that I'm planning to, or anything....

Don
Don
1988 MC-9

captain ron

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »
Pickle, Call it a "fuel addative" as your vehicle cannot run on it alone you must start and shut down on diesel. (WVO) No tax.

Bob, I'm in the process of converting my bus to WVO. My only concern is the DDEC and electronic injectors. I am gathering all the info I can and the parts. WVO cleaned in a centrifuge looks like ice tea or pee. If your system is properly set up and you clean your oil properly it will work fine and not hurt your engine, if you don't your asking for trouble. Diesel engines were originally invented to run on veggie oil.

Always thinking outside the box until they put me in it.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:41:31 AM »
Right on Charley.
  This is SUCH an interesting topic. But if someone doesn't want to do/use it, that is sooooo perfectly OK! But for those who do, I think it will help them and  maybe the earth a little bit. (If you wonder if I care about the earth, check out my house.) 
  I know, and you know, that there are thousands of people out there doing it and they have been for MANY years! Some are our own busnut friends right here on this board! But they don't like to speak out because of how much of a controversy some people feel it has to be. Sure, you can always find an occasional story that didn't work for some reason, but that was because of either the Law of Averages or fate or stupidity or lack of knowledge on how to do it . I can only imagine how many detractors there was about the 1. internal combustion engine  2. electricity  3. airplanes etc. etc.  And someone can ALWAYS find one story in 10,000 and say "SEE, SEE, SEE I told ya so, I told ya so." (IE. just look at politics!  ;)  Sorry, another touchy subject, I'm sure!  ;) ) While the rest go merrily on down the road for just a little effort and a little money.
  The fact remains that it does work and very well if done correctly. (Your right about the filtering. And heating of the oil is very important also.) I am in the process of getting my system together and will be more than glad to share as time goes on. There are definitely things to know and research to be done. I'm still doing that as I get the $$$ to set this up. ("artist', ya know  :-\    ;D
  As far as legalities go.................... well, ya know, maybe I shouldn't do this as I have NEVER EVER broken or even stretched a law in my LIFE!!!! "Honest Chief"!!!! (that quote is for all you old Navy "salts"  ;D) At present, yeah there is a little discrepancy out there about laws. Our "ILLUSTRIOUS Lawmakers" (cough, choke, weez) aren't sure how to go about this. (It actually makes them think) One story did make the news. ( "See, see, I told ya!! I told ya!!") but I think for the most part it's like the old Military rule - "Don't ask, don't tell". But I'm sure there are some authorities out there that may be on the watch. But I haven't heard much.  I intend to keep good records in case it does become an issue. I mean, what is the tax on fuel?? .30 , .40 , .50 a gallon?????? I'll pay that!!!!!!!!! Hell yes!!! That would be fair. At least I wasn't lining the pockets of those "#$%@&*^%$#@" overseas!!
  So hey guys, can I just say - or ask - if we DO get into this topic yet again, which I hope we can as I TRULY DO BELIEVE it can help those that want to do it, please, be kind. Playing "devils advocate" is a GOOD thing as long as it's in a - shall we say - "knowledgable way". Otherwise it just turns into a "pi$$in match" and accomplishes nothing. Except maybe for the blood pressure medication company making more money!  ;)  Oh, and make our "Fantasticly wonderful, extremely knowledgeable, and good looking moderators" work a little harder.  ;D

Anyway, I guess just think about it.
      Ol' greasy Chaz   ;D
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
Quote from: Chaz
;)  Oh, and make our "Fantasticly wonderful, extremely knowledgeable, and good looking moderators" work a little harder.  ;D

Anyway, I guess just think about it.
      Ol' greasy Chaz   ;D

Chaz I was with ya right up to here! Have ya bumped yer head 'er, do you know someone I don't? LOL!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline redbus

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 08:05:39 AM »
Like I told my son-in-law when he started his bus. If it works for you ,do it, If it wont work for you ,dont do it.Just because I did it doesnt make it the right or wrong way to do it.
Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/

Offline Hartley

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:08:40 AM »
One part was about a guy in LA that will convert your Diesel to Bio/Frier oil.. The said you can get Cotten seed oil to run well but Reclaimed Frier oil is the Best..
they didnt say a Word, about Getting charged with useing Illeagle Fues and getting a Huge Fine...

Paul..... ???

Just what is your problem? :-\ :-\ :-\

SP - Are you Bi-Polar or something, These Rants just have to level out!!!!! :o :o :o

Back to the real subject,

These programs have been on TV for a while now. In every instance there is usually something wrong with the way things are presented. You know like underlying factors that the writers and producers ( Ignorant people ) just couldn't get right if their lives depended on it.

Anyone on the boards here can find out everything they want to know on the subject of WVO / SVO and Biodiesel if you either ask or take the time to look.

I have run WVO with some success, However it's not for everyone and does create problems of one type or another depending on how you set things up.

The legal issues are not important unless you live in California...( CARB ).. What a bunch of LOONEY Birds...The Taxman has enough problems trying to enforce red diesel rules and the entry of untaxed or untaxable fuels just irritates the PEEFUDDLE out of them.

From what I have seen the taxman is more interested in commercial use of alternate fuels than hobby uses. ( Unless you are in a state that has LOONEYS in charge. )..... :( :( :(

From the EPA standpoint Veggie is a cleaner fuel, It doesn't add CO it returns it back. The spills and cleanup are simple. It breaks down into elemental sugars naturally. No expensive cleanup for spills. A little bio-detergents and it's gone.

Murphy Oil soap is made from veggie and it works! - No hazzard there.

The chemists need to figure out a way to treat it so that aircraft could use veggie, That would save billions of dollars on fuel bills and lower operating costs. There are aircraft engines being developed and certified for using diesel ( and Bio / Veggie ) that are far more fuel efficient than anything currently flying.

Jet engines all need to be using 1-1 Carbon fuels. ( Veggie Based ) This would also help farmers who would grow the crops that fuel is derived from. New crops and advanced growing systems could solve problem and even feed the world as a side effect.

I expect this message to either get edited or removed. Some people don't like the way I say things sometimes. NO I don't know everything and never expect to.... Sorry....

Dave.....
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline ktmossman

• 2006 MCI J4500
    • Making the Drive
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »
From the (limited) research I have done on the issue, the legal issue is a matter of taxation.  You can interact with the govt. in many ways stirring up the pot, just don't touch the coffers!  The politicians need that money to buy votes.  In this case, the politicians have not figured out how to appropriately charge the taxes they would normally receive from the fuel.

This is really no different from agricultural areas where you can buy "road" diesel and "off-road" diesel.  They do checkpoints to dip fuel from diesel vehicles and heaven forbid that you are running "off-road" diesel in your "on-road" vehicle...big time fines. 

I agree with Chaz.  Keep a log of gallons consumed so that you can show "intent" to pay if they ever create the mechanism.  I think they would find it difficult to penalize you for not paying the taxes if they haven't created a means to do so, especially if you can show that you kept the necessary records to be able to pay when the time came.  And, historically, once they do create such taxes, they rarely make you go back and pay retroactively.

Of course, this is all "pie-in-the-sky" for me until I come up with the $$$...but one can always dream....
Kevin Mossman
2006 MCI J4500
Dallas, TX

Dallas

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 08:18:32 AM »
Dave,

A well written position on biofuels and alternative energy. Other than the first part, I would change nothing in it. But then I am guilty of expressing my opinions loudly too.

DF

Paul..... ???

Just what is your problem? :-\ :-\ :-\

SP - Are you Bi-Polar or something, These Rants just have to level out!!!!! :o :o :o

Back to the real subject,

These programs have been on TV for a while now. In every instance there is usually something wrong with the way things are presented. You know like underlying factors that the writers and producers ( Ignorant people ) just couldn't get right if their lives depended on it.

Anyone on the boards here can find out everything they want to know on the subject of WVO / SVO and Biodiesel if you either ask or take the time to look.

I have run WVO with some success, However it's not for everyone and does create problems of one type or another depending on how you set things up.

The legal issues are not important unless you live in California...( CARB ).. What a bunch of LOONEY Birds...The Taxman has enough problems trying to enforce red diesel rules and the entry of untaxed or untaxable fuels just irritates the PEEFUDDLE out of them.

From what I have seen the taxman is more interested in commercial use of alternate fuels than hobby uses. ( Unless you are in a state that has LOONEYS in charge. )..... :( :( :(

From the EPA standpoint Veggie is a cleaner fuel, It doesn't add CO it returns it back. The spills and cleanup are simple. It breaks down into elemental sugars naturally. No expensive cleanup for spills. A little bio-detergents and it's gone.

Murphy Oil soap is made from veggie and it works! - No hazzard there.

The chemists need to figure out a way to treat it so that aircraft could use veggie, That would save billions of dollars on fuel bills and lower operating costs. There are aircraft engines being developed and certified for using diesel ( and Bio / Veggie ) that are far more fuel efficient than anything currently flying.

Jet engines all need to be using 1-1 Carbon fuels. ( Veggie Based ) This would also help farmers who would grow the crops that fuel is derived from. New crops and advanced growing systems could solve problem and even feed the world as a side effect.

I expect this message to either get edited or removed. Some people don't like the way I say things sometimes. NO I don't know everything and never expect to.... Sorry....

Dave.....

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »
WHAT you say Dave, is right on the money. I'm backin ya. And don't forget that people like to - shall we say - "skip" a detail in the story, or two, to make it fit their belief or agenda. Thats a VERY VERY common practice of most ALL human beings.
   But it IS hard to tell HOW you are saying it sometimes thru the "printed word", Dave. Sounds like you are maybe a little aggrevated or frustrated. I concur. So am I. But hopefully it doesn't offend anyone as you have valid points in my book.

BK,
    I, I, I think I remember falling down the stairs this morning ??? :-[ :-\  Oh well......... and how are you today, Sister Mary Elephant??  :D

Yeah, just a little "sucking up there"!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL I have had a little bit of my responses "deleted" in the past so I'm fishin for brownies!!  :D LOLOLOL  (did it work??  ;))

Chaz

Offline superpickle

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 08:30:48 AM »
Never thought of that, with either brain, I guess i could be By Polar..  ;D

Although ive never been to Either..

My rant is that We get Lied to at every turn and it goes on and on..

And, those two guys are still fighting it in court and spending Thousands in Leaglal fees.. to do it..

All because they THOUGHT this was a FREE country too..

Yup, im nuts,, Im causing decent in the ranks.. SHOOT ME...  :P :-* :-* :-*
Dont worry, i wont be doing anything until i get at least 10,000 rounds saved up..
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal