Author Topic: fulltiming  (Read 7414 times)

Offline superpickle

Re: fulltiming
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 07:26:05 AM »
This is probably the Greatest adventure of you life, of course itys going to be tramatic.. But once you gwet going and settled in . You'll think, "This is the LIFE"

WOW, hey, do you have room for me  ;D

You MUST take LOTS of pics and Post them EVERY DAY.. Otherwise we will have to hunt you down and take the valves out of all your tires..and put Veggie fuel signs all over your bus.  ::)  (tax police will come and Drag you away ) hehehe

hehehehehe  Have fun and remember, we ALL wish it was US..  ;)

Paul....
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline JimC

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »
Hey Cody,
I know you have enough to think about already, but consider setting your computer up for doing a Blog on your travels. that way we can all travel with you. Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
"We've spent hours pouring over maps and makeing lists of all the things we want to see and do but really don't have a clue of what to do or where to go, all these years of dreaming of this day only to realize that now that we're almost ready to leave the yard, we don't have a clue as to where to go or what to do."

Cody, we are not fulltimers, but "half-timers"; that is we spend about six to seven months on the road, traveling about 15,000 miles per year. 

There is so much to see in this beautiful United States and Canada, that there isn't enough time to see it all.  I know once you get started and talking to people you'll soon get a "route" planned; and will it change many times!  Unless you need to get someplace in a "hurry"; my suggestion is to stay off the Interstates, but take the State and County "back" roads.  By traveling the back roads, you'll see what the "real" country is like.

We live on the west coast and alternate between the northwest/western Canada one year and then do the east coast/Maritime Provinces the next.  Our winters are spent in the southwest.

All parts of the USA and Canada have their own special beauty.  Just go to each area at the "prime" weather and you'll never have a bad day!

Just remember; "Every day is an adventure"!!!

Here is a link to our web site and some of the places we have traveled: http://www.thegooddeeds.com/touringtheusaandcanada.html

Hope that we cross paths someday. 

Gary D
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »
Cody....I haven't read all the other posts--I went straight to this answer first.  You sound alot like me--I kinda am a control freak and feel rather uncomfortable unless things are under complete total control.  What I had to learn/unlearn about my bus was that sometimes more fun can be had if one takes just the basic sane precautions and then just go for it and wing the rest.

Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds kinda risky and sometimes it can be, but if you have done 90% of what you can do to prepare for your fulltime adventure, then it may be time for you to get the rest of it out of your mind.  Sorry you felt it was necessary to dump the pets---they are family toosss and would enjoy the fulltiming thing as much as you do.  Be surprised what can fit in a coach.

For 3 years I lived fulltime in my Crown with practically ZERO anything, including A/C, heat or meaninful power.  120 in the summer and +20 in the winter. (F)  I learned to sweat and to dress warmly.  Amazing how good a pitcher of iced tea can taste and how comfy a warm bed can feel.  I endured; learned a whole bunch about my coach and myself and had fun doing sooss. 

Where should you head out to?  What physical direction?  Who cares--is it THAT important?  You are setting sail with the morning tide and winds and you will figure out what direction is best.  Make and maintain a list of all the things this great country has to offer and figure out a way where you can take it all in.  We have been given a great gift having coaches.  Go for it!  :) :) :)

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »
Don't plan too much and remember that if you see everything the first time, you won't have any good reason to go back

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 10:18:14 PM »
Get yourself a Rand-McNally Atlas that shows all the State and National Parks (the best Real Estate the government can buy) - when traveling look for the green and brown signs that denote state and federal landmarks/parks along with the local points of interest and STOP AT EVERYONE - some will be ho-hum, some will be spectacular, and very few will be less than interesting - Post some pictures now and again and the board will let you know if your doing OK - LOL - many happy returns - Niles
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 06:39:07 AM »
Join Escapees!  you'll never find another group as dedicated to fulltiming, as supportive of fulltimers, and with a CARE facility and the Forum.

We envy your ability to fulltime.

as you've already been told, pack what you think you'll need.  if you haven't used it in 2 years, unload it at the next escapee rally during the CARE auction.  the auctions are for people to donate what they don't use, and the money raised goes to support the CARE facility where you can recooperate from injury or sickness IN YOUR BUS and the nurses/doctors come to you.

Home Depot, Lowes and other fulltimers will have what you need if you don't have it with you.

Try the Escapees forum.  lots of good advice.  you don't have to belong to view and ask questions.  there's even a bus thread.

Good luck, safe travels and Happy Thanksgiving!
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

cody

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
I'll check into the Escapee's club, one thing that I have that I'm looking forward to is the Golden Access Passport card for national parks, because I'm disabled I get half off at national parks, any savings is a good thing now, especially with the high cost of fuel.  We're really looking forward to traveling and seeing what all is out there.   We're also looking at ways we can stay connected to the internet and trying to determine which one will be best for us, the internet has been such a large part of our lives for so long I'd go thru withdrawal in a hurry lol.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
 We're also looking at ways we can stay connected to the internet and trying to determine which one will be best for us, the internet has been such a large part of our lives for so long I'd go thru withdrawal in a hurry lol.

Cody, cellular cards are $60/month and verizon seems to be the best choice for widest coverage.  If you stay on the relatively populated roads and interstates.  We've got places in Ohio that still don't have coverage, like some of the state parks.  Out west will be worse.  the more isolated you want to be, the more you need to consider satellite.  if you're gonna stay at walmarts and flyingJ and KOA, then you will probably be able to use their wifi or your cellular always.

wifi is free or low cost but is still pretty sparse in campgrounds and state parks.  i'm sure you can find some opinions based on where you want to go.  i think flying j's plan is $30 month, but i don't know how well it works.  you do have to be in their parking lot to use it.

Satellite tripod like the Dustyfoot we sell is $1300. also $60 a month, but you have to buy a system which means you have an upfront cost compared to cellular.  automatic pointing systems start at $4200+ installed and $79/month.  Speeds are a little faster than a cellular in the city, a lot faster than cellular in the boonies.  satellite is good anywhere no matter how isolated.

i don't know what your disability is, but if you want an honest (call Jack Conrad and a few others that know me) discussion about advantages/disadvantages of each for your requirements, call me or hth.  also, you can get a ton of opinions at the Escapade site.  or even here.

hth

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Hank

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »
I think what I'd do is rent a storage locker and put my second tier stuff in there until I started getting acclimated to the new lifestyle. Then I could make a more educated decision about what I wanted to keep and get rid of.

My first destinations would be to visit family and friends I have scattered across the country. Hopefully you have some out there you'd like to see? It seems that the comfort and familiarity of visiting friends and family would help ease the transition into a nomadic lifestyle.

It's something I'd like to try someday...maybe for a year or so.

Good luck to you!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal