Author Topic: Very efficient air conditioner  (Read 13097 times)

Offline Jerry Liebler

Re: Very efficient air conditioner
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 04:25:42 AM »
Brian,
     In your case it should work on the curb side of that bay.   In my case my generator and house battery are on the curb side and the old condensor compartment is open.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 05:46:40 AM »
SEER ratings are very misleading as they do not reflect actual operating conditions. Good old EER or actual amp ratings are desireable.  I found another candidate.  I haven't found a price yet but it looks quite interesting, it is the Fujitsu 12RLQ.  This is another 240 volt unit but it's rated curent while delivering 12,000BTU is 4.5amp at an EER of 13.5 or 889 watts and it's maximum curent (while delivering 14,500BTU) is 7 amps.  I'd use a 1 kva+ 120 volt isolation transformer to supply the other half of the 120/240.  Fujitsu has another interesting candidate in the 12RQ it is 120 volt but doesn't have the 'overload' capability to do 14500 BTU, it's 12,000 BTU, draws 9.9 amps and 1070 watts.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120

Jerry, I am curious as to how you would use an isolation transformer to supply the other half of the 240 volt power requirement. Would you just feed the transformer with the existing 120 volts and then on the output reverse the leads to put the 120 volt output out of phase with the input. I have never heard of this, but really see no reason why it would not work. It would save on transformer cost. Have you ever done this?
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 05:55:40 AM »
That'd work Richard.  Put another way, if you hook the primary and secondary of an isolation transformer in series and observe the proper phase polarity (ie you hook the secondary up the right way) you can consider the thing a center-tapped autotransformer that will boost 120 to 240 if the 120 is hooked from one end to the center (the primary in this case) and the load is hooked across the whole thing.  If you get the secondary hooked up incorrectly, it'll result in turning 120 into amost zero volts...

I've got 1 or 2 spare 120-240 step up transformers -big- that are probably good for 2-to 2-1/2 KW continuous... if anyone wants one email me.  They're heavy, about 40-50 pounds but they're very robust and would easily run a roof air. I use one to operate my miller 250 off my 120 volt onan. I'm not offering them for sale- free if someone actually needs one, just pay the shipping.

Hey- how do I get the "newbie" thing changed?  I aint no newbie.......
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 06:45:11 AM »
That'd work Richard.  Put another way, if you hook the primary and secondary of an isolation transformer in series and observe the proper phase polarity (ie you hook the secondary up the right way) you can consider the thing a center-tapped autotransformer that will boost 120 to 240 if the 120 is hooked from one end to the center (the primary in this case) and the load is hooked across the whole thing.  If you get the secondary hooked up incorrectly, it'll result in turning 120 into amost zero volts...

I've got 1 or 2 spare 120-240 step up transformers -big- that are probably good for 2-to 2-1/2 KW continuous... if anyone wants one email me.  They're heavy, about 40-50 pounds but they're very robust and would easily run a roof air. I use one to operate my miller 250 off my 120 volt onan. I'm not offering them for sale- free if someone actually needs one, just pay the shipping.

Hey- how do I get the "newbie" thing changed?  I aint no newbie.......
[/b][/size]
You are almost there. Only need 20 more posts and you got it. Truthfully, that is the one part of this board that I do not like at all. Wish it could be deleted.
And thanks for the response. You guys really come up with some good ones sometimes.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal