Author Topic: Do I want marker lights?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Do I want marker lights?
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
I am in the process of manufacturing some fibreglass panels to cover the gap at the intersection of the roof and walls on my bus that was created when I raised the roof. It occured to me that now would be the ideal time to make provision in the new panels for some marker lights running the length of the bus - if I do it now I can actually mould recesses for the marker lights into the panels, which will make for a really neat installation.

I cannot decide whether or not I want marker lights; do they actually serve any useful purpose, or are they just there to look pretty at night? If the latter I am not sure whether I can motivate to do the extra work to fit them.

If I did want some, should I go for the (dirt cheap) incandescent sort and have lots of them (and be constantly replacing bulbs), perhaps the more expesive LED ones which eBay is full of. I even wondered about making up a system of fibre-optic marker lights that changed colour, or maybe playing around at making an ultra-cheap set of LED markers by using a set of outdoor LED Christmas tree lights

Ok, the last two ideas are really silly - but seriously, do I want marker lights?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline tekebird

Re: Do I want marker lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
check your local laws......Certain Marker lights are required here in the states.

before you go an mold recesses I would make sure you buy lights that are going to be available forever from a bus that was produced in very large numbers

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »
Hi Jeremy,

When I was building my coach, I deleted my side marker lights and I am now sorry that I did that.

At night time, the side of the bus sure looks dark compared to the front and back..

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline busnut104

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:46 PM »
I added marker lights on the side and front and rear bumper. I like lights, sure looks pretty at night. Also adds a lot of light on both sides of the bus when parking or just walking along side the bus, You may be able to see them in my add in the classified.

Offline Sammy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
Jeremy, Yes you want marker lights  - all of them - safety first.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
I thought the law said one marker in the middle for long trucks and buses. Had someone killed at home for a semi pulling out from side road and accross the road at night when a car came along and couldn't see the trailer. I'll keep my side markers. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline lostagain

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:17:09 AM »
When you're driving down the interstate at night with rain or snow and heavy traffic, you need as many lights as possible to be visible. Traffic is changing lanes on both sides of you and you want them to see you. Aren't they required by law anyway?
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »
Jeremy -

Are you talking about adding lights above or below the windows?  Your request is a little vague on that point.

You might post your question on this forum and see what evolves:

http://www.pda-uk.org/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums

IMHO, if you comply with the spirit of the commercial vehicle lighting requirements, you shouldn't have any problems, even tho your coach is a private vehicle.  Usually, most gummint agencies will not have any problems with additional lighting, providing that lighting meets the minimum codes (i.e. no forward-facing red, etc.).

As a side note, on of the transit agencies here in Californication has seven, yes, seven, amber-colored turn signal lights per side of their 40-foot coaches: one facing to the rear, one on each side of the rear axle, one in the center of the coach, one on each side of the front axle, and one facing forward.  Needless to say, when one of their drivers activates a turn signal, they can be seen!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:33:02 AM »
Jeremy,

If I were in your shoes, I would obtain a copy of the EEC heavy vehicle lighting regulations, and install all the lighting required or permitted by the regs, in addition to any UK requirements.  I did poke around the internet looking for them with no success, but I would guess they are out there somewhere.  I did find, during my search, that the UK has been updating its lighting regs to align them with the EEC mandates.

You might find this chart, which applies to us blokes here across the pond, at least informative:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/standards/conspicuity/TBMpstr.html

And a note to those of us here in the states:  The requirements spelled out in the above DOT chart are not optional.  It makes no difference if a vehicle is commercial or private -- the regulations are based on size, not usage.  So, Nick, you could be in serious trouble if your lack of side markers causes an accident.  You can certainly be pulled over, cited, and even forced to park the vehicle where stopped until the problem has been corrected.

The DOT requirements spelled out in the chart, like all motor vehicle safety requirements in FMVSS 108, have been adopted into law by all US states and territories.

FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Dallas

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:48 AM »
Thanks Sean,

That's the link I was looking for in my thread on vehicle regulations.

Dallas

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:01:59 AM »
Jeremy- you also have an interesting dilemma in that you'll probably want to take your bus through the tube to Europe some time.  I know that European trucks have different lighting requirements than here in the USA.  For instance, here in the USA we can have single red tail lights on each side of the rear that doubles as the turn indicator and stop lights-all in one.  On my bus I have two red lights on each side with both burning for running lights, then one for stop and one for turn indicator.  None of this would work in Europe since your turn indicator at the rear is supposed to be orange and not on with the running lights.
As far as mounting the clearance lights, they are NOT supposed to be flush.  They are supposed to be seen the entire 180 degrees from front to rear.  If they were flush mounted, you could only see them when a few feet away from the bus. 
My bus had the legal clearance lights-5 orange in the front, 5 red in back and one orange in the middle.  I added a total of four more on each side and conveniently wired them to the old inside flourescent lighting circuit-so I can flash just those lights if I want to.  Just make sure that you have enough lights, and that there are not any rules about having extra lights.  Would highly suggest you use LED since they take almost no power and can add a bunch of them without fear of overloading a circuit.  I can remember from years past when truckers would add hundreds of lights and have to add another alternator and a couple of extra batteries.  Now with LED's you don't need to do that.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »
So, Nick, you could be in serious trouble if your lack of side markers causes an accident.  You can certainly be pulled over, cited, and even forced to park the vehicle where stopped until the problem has been corrected.

Thanks Sean,

I'm all for tackeling that project.   Man, just when I thought I had caught up with the bus projects...... >:(

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies - looks like I will definitely be adding some marker lights. Thinking about it, I can certainly see how the large un-lit side of a bus pulling out of a turning at night (for instance) could be cause for an accident. I did happen to notice a National Express bus the other day that was fully tricked up with lights all over the place, and was surprised at the time that they would have spent money on un-necessary optional extras like that (National Express is our equivalent to Greyhound). In retrospect though I guess it is money well spent it if means fewer bumps and scrapes on their vehicles which are on the road 24/7.

I see from Sean's link that reflectors as well as just lights are required, which I now realise is the difference between 'proper' marker lights and the kind of (very cheap) car-type amber repeater lights shown below that I was thinking of using. Guess I will have to think again on that score as well.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Nusa

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/standards/conspicuity/TBMpstr.html covers it pretty well so far as current requirements go. However, I suspect the actual requirements are based on the laws at the time the bus was put into service, so if you're missing something on original equipment I wouldn't worry too much.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal