Author Topic: I HATE WINTER  (Read 9480 times)

Offline lyndon

• 1988 MC-9 DDC 6V92TA Fuller T-11605D
Re: I HATE WINTER
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 10:24:24 PM »
Bob, that's one good lookin' bus on one nasty lookin' day. (It's -16C here, but now it doesn't really feel too bad at all).

Safe travels to warmer places! (You are going south, right?)

Don
Don
1988 MC-9

Offline Paso One

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 05:32:15 AM »
Hey Bob  you can't leave us,  What are the rest of us going to do,  We need you heating the air around your bus so the rest of us don't freeze.  Don't let out the secret of the "tiger torch"   ;D
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 06:17:02 AM »
You guys have a different name for tiger torches - I heard it once but I can't remember what it is.  Its a great way to warm a frozen engine with only minimal risk of burning everything to the ground.  You stick the torch in the end of about 3 or 4 feet of 4" pipe with a 90 or 45 elbow on the other end.  Then you stick the elbow directly under the oil pan, fire up the torch, turn the bottle upside down, go away and pray.  If everything goes well when you come back the engine starts like its July 15.  There is a finite possibility of disaster though which is why it is always my absolute last resort.

And for those of you who suggested fuel I'm almost 100% sure that is what the problem was.  We can't buy winter fuel year round.  The bulk dealers stock summer fuel until harvest is over and then they start blending down to winter fuel.  I fueled up in early Oct & I expect Ken had some kind of a blend in the tank by then.  I deliberately waited until then thinking I would get a blend and it wouldn't be a problem.  It really shouldn't be this bloody cold yet. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Kwajdiver

• MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 07:17:50 AM »
I have a empty RV lot beside me here in Gulfport, MS.  From the front seat you can see the ocean.  Oh! The good news, it;s 60degs out this morning.  Toast for you....

Should I reserve it for you,,,, ;D

Bill
Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Offline superpickle

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 09:01:07 AM »
Problem is Bob. You didnt LEAVE with the Birds.. They know better than to wait till it gets that cold ..
I can see in the pics, shes been Shivering.. tsk  tsk  tsk  You could get Arrested here for Bus Abuse by the
STPCTB..  you lucky the bus cant dial a phone  >:(

;D :D :D :D :D
Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
I don't even know what to say!

It was 40F here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland & I was thinking about "farther south".

My hat is off to you guys who can brave the cold. I remember without fondness trying to start my uncle's '54 Autocar by building a fire under the engine. More than once I contemplated putting on a little more wood & not having to start that truck ever again.

I have an idea Bob: You can spend the winter here at my house where the temp will only drop to mid-twenties and I'll go spend my winter in Florida.

It will be summer for both of us!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

ROFL!!
TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 04:15:52 PM »
Hi Bob,
One other thing for you to look at ...

I had problems with my webasto and it started getting harder and harder to get it to start.  At first it was only having problems in 10 degree weather, then 20 degree and finally it wouldn't even start in 40 degree weather.  Well, after talking to a local bus maintenance facility they told me this almost always turned out to be a nozzle issue.  Sure enough, I put a new nozzle on the burner assembly and I've never had problems again.  The coldest I had to start it was at -10 earlier this year.  The nozzle cost me $28 to replace.  On my setup it is real quick and easy to replace.  You might consider just replacing the nozzle as you can't tell from looking at it if it is good or bad.

-Brian

Offline Paso One

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
Hi Bob  I think most other people call them Brush burners. it's just us Cannucks that call them Tiger torches. :)
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
You are right Dallas - it could always be worse.  It could be a H of a lot better mind you but it could always be worse too.  The moneypit fired up just fine this morning - Marilyn took off for P.A. in the trucklet - me & George II headed on down the road.  Now we're holed up behind a motel on the edge of Saskatoon.  Will be here until Friday morning and then move to Regina. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Dallas

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
All I can say Bob, is, Better you than Me!

Saskatoon weather for all you warm people: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CASK0276

You can also check out what it actually looks like where Bob is: http://webcam.usask.ca/ctv.html

or Here: http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/camDetail.jsp?id=cam_1170910444388

maria-n-skip

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »
Bob,

The lights are still on  :)

Have a safe trip

Skip

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
Guys,

Go click on Dallas' web pages.  It was MINUS 33 degrees up there.  Bob said he was spending the night?  Why?  Run out of meth?  What?

Click on that last page and you get hooked into the CBC network for weather.  Their page also carries two adds for the local LESBIAN NETWORK/CLUB.  I don't have serious problems with gays of any flavor but advertising on the weather channel ?  Just how progressive are these Cannucks? LOL ;D ;D ;D  Hey, my mother surfs.... :-\

Thanks Dallas, you have a lot of talent.  How do you find these things like the weather in Saskat@@@@@?

Stay warm and friendly,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 10:35:02 PM »
Bob,

That weather channel said the temps there was down to minus 33 at night and then it skyrocketed up to minus 23 for a toasty afternoon.  No wonder you don't like the government.  Little wonder, with that kind of weather you SHOULD hate almost everything including Santa.

I think you said that your hydronic system used the fresh water to circulate.  How do you keep that from frezing up when you stop for a couple days?  You must have one heck of a drain system on that puppy to keep the coach stored in that clime and not loose the Hydronics in total.  The people up there amaze me with what they cope with as a matter of course.

Good luck in your travels south.  What is P.A.?

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline TomC

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 08:21:18 AM »
Today in Los Angeles- 78/53.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal