Author Topic: radiant heat  (Read 4368 times)

Offline oldallegro

radiant heat
« on: May 28, 2006, 09:09:12 AM »
I have seen a few posts on radiant heat before and have asked once about it before, but I have more questions on the subject.  Is it not possible to have some very simple system run that utilizes the heat from the engine when running and heat from a diesel water heater (or electric for that matter) when parked?  Both systems could heat the rv as a whole or the hot water for personal use.  It seems a simple in line pump could keep things moving along.  I guess my question is why Aqua Hot has to collect $4000 for this type of system?  I am not a plumber and am happy for replies that tell me this idea is ridiculous.  Just let me know what might be possible that would be less than $4000 and still offer radiant heat - if there is such a thing.  Kurt

belfert

Re: radiant heat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 10:04:12 AM »
You don't need to spend a bunch of money on a Aqua-hot just to provide radiant heat.  You can sometimes get a Webasto for under $1000 on Ebay.  There is one off a bus on Ebay right now so it is probably 24 volt.

You can then add heat exhangers as needed in the cabin and in the bays also if you want heated bays.  A flat plate heat exchanger can be used to get heat from the engine into the coolant for the radiant heat.

Brian Elfert

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
Re: radiant heat
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 10:48:42 AM »
The biggest thing is that the Webasto and Aqua-Hot are run on diesel and are made for mobile use.  Anything that heats water should do just fine, but keep in mind that electric will consume lots of electricity and propane will consume lots of propane.  Here are some other options...

http://www.alsheating.com/OM-22.htm

This one will run on diesel.  It is like a monitor so will not heat your water, but they are very efficient.  The vent pipe would have to exit through the side of the bus, but if I were planning on fulltiming in cold weather, I could find a way to live with that.

http://www.tanklesswaterheaters.ca/oilmiser.html

This is a tankless water heater.  I once measured and figured it would just fit (height wise) in the MC9 bay.  Venting would be tricky and once you got the furnace and a lifter pump, you'd probably have close to 2K in it.  For that, I'd throw a few more buck at it and go Aqua-Hot or Webasto. 

I really like the idea of the Monitor style heaters.  I had two of them on my boat when I was living aboard year round in Maine. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal