Author Topic: Another E bayer that thinks he has a PD4501 Scenic-Cruiser ....  (Read 30672 times)

Dreamscape

Re: Another E bayer that thinks he has a PD4501 Scenic-Cruiser ....
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2007, 05:44:34 PM »
Chaz,

Thanks for posting the video! What sweet music to hear that ole DD sing.

I have always liked the looks of those scenic cruisers. They just look cool.

We should have a favorite section that includes videos such as this for all to enjoy and easy to get to.

Paul

Dallas

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »

So now one of yours has asked for a 'peace treaty'.  What with Arcadia coming up in less than two weeks a feeble attempt has been made for solidarity among the ranks of the GMC guys....how shallow! :D

no need for a peace treaty Bob, All of the GMC owners have their own preferences, but if backed into a corner they'll fight to the end for any other GMC owner and his/her choice

I take no issue with the Sceni-Cruisers...they are like most GMC's...antiques.  :'(
It just goes to prove that the finer antiques are worth saving, unlike the ticky-tacky cardboard cutouts like the MCI MC5A (which they couldn't get right and had to make a "B" and "C" version to try to recoup their losses and cover up the mistakes), which should probably be sent back to it's original smelters and turned into it's rightful place in society as a safety pin or  a coffee maker. 

With the improvements made to over the road buses with the advent of MCI's, Greyhound finally found a bus that they could depend on and kept the flow of passengers and packages flowing with a profit.  :-*
Does that include the Greyhound MCI's that I've seen on fire or being towed because of a fire from I-95 in South Carolina? It's not uncommon to see at least one and usually two or three per week burnt out.

With all due respect to the dreamers in our hobby, MCI's still rule. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And MCI owners have a right to dream, and dream, and dream....... after all, they don't have much else to look forward to when they close their eyes in the frustration of knowing that no matter how hard they try, their bus will never be a GMC

With tongue in cheek,
Try to remember not to bite down

Bob

Dallas

PS: Keep Your GMC, ALL GMC!
DF

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »
May this thread never die! ;D
Kyle, I want to adopt one of yer orphans! :D

OK, but you'll have to pass the qualification testing process first.
Shouldn't be too hard, its just something to verify you can afford to provide for the orphan.

To take the test, you just start sending untraceable, unmarked, non-sequential 'hunnret dollar bills in a plain brown box via UPS. When I think you have sent in enough, I'll select which one you can adopt.  8)
Shouldn't take more than a few UPS deliveries (remember there is a 70# weight limit per box).

Sounds like a good deal for me  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2007, 10:10:13 PM »
I have to admit...after this hell uv a day I had, finally checking in at 1:00AM, I was looking forward to see where this post has gone!  Ya'll didn't dissapoint...thanks a ton!
Jack Hart
PS...FloridaCliff, ditto!
See most of you 'uns in Arcadia!
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2007, 06:08:50 AM »
May this thread never die! ;D
Kyle, I want to adopt one of yer orphans! :D

OK, but you'll have to pass the qualification testing process first.
Shouldn't be too hard, its just something to verify you can afford to provide for the orphan.

To take the test, you just start sending untraceable, unmarked, non-sequential 'hunnret dollar bills in a plain brown box via UPS. When I think you have sent in enough, I'll select which one you can adopt.  8)
Shouldn't take more than a few UPS deliveries (remember there is a 70# weight limit per box).

Sounds like a good deal for me  ;D
I am not THAT commited to the cause! ;)
1st born son is the best I can do.....hard worker...but will eat you out of house and home.

Offline JimC

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

I understand that most of you are biased, and I understand that. I also realize that is the reason that the finest coach of them all has yet to be mentioned. Those of us that are lucky enough to own one have sat in the background reading this dribble long enough.

The 4106

Thats why it was named the sports car of coaches!

Jim
4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »
Jim -

I know of which ye speak - I love the 4106, and own one myself.  The very first generation "Sports Car of Buses", as the late industry photographer Bob Redden dubbed them.  The RTS is, IMHO, the second generation Coach Sports Car, no offense to Geoff - we've bantered back and forth about it good-naturedly several times.

The sad thing about the 06 is that, even tho it had a reputation as an extremely dependable and economical revenue service vehicle, it came at a time when the industry began shifting to forty-foot coaches, plus the demand for more luggage space to handle increased package express.   It also had to operate in the shadow of the Scenics, as well as following the most popular 35-foot coach of the time, the 4104.  Not to mention, of course, Greyhound's purchasing more of those vehicles built in Winnipeg, and having to compete with, paraphrasing A. Sloan of GM: "As Greyhound goes, so goes the industry. . ."

The 4106 actually had a better sales on an annual basis than the 4104, when you look at the average number delivered over the life of the coach's production run.  The 04 averaged about 724 per year, while the '06 averaged 807.  Had the industry not shifted to the larger coach, the '06 probably would have eclipsed the '04 in numbers.

But I will agree with you that they're a great coach, I've been a fan of them since I was a teen-ager and first rode on one with friends from Los Gatos over the hill to Santa Cruz to go to the beach.  Don't remember if I was more fascinated by the coach, or the girls that were with us. . . probably the latter. . . no, the former. . . no, definitely the latter, especially Shari B. and her. . .  oh, never mind. . .  :o

Now, if only we could get new glass for the rear window. . . sadly, just like the Scenic and 4104 folk, it's now made from unobtainium.   :'(

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2007, 05:36:47 AM »
I know of which ye speak - I love the 4106, and own one myself.  The very first generation "Sports Car of Buses", as the late industry photographer Bob Redden dubbed them.  The RTS is, IMHO, the second generation Coach Sports Car

I don't think I'm nowhere near the busnut you are to consider something 35' long & sports car in the same thought - unless it it is a trailer to haul it on.  ;)

The 4106 actually had a better sales on an annual basis than the 4104, when you look at the average number delivered over the life of the coach's production run.  The 04 averaged about 724 per year, while the '06 averaged 807.  Had the industry not shifted to the larger coach, the '06 probably would have eclipsed the '04 in numbers.

Hmmmmm, it took ~24 months of production to make 1000 4501's & that was enough to set the standard to which all other buses are still compared.  ;D

Now, if only we could get new glass for the rear window. . . sadly, just like the Scenic and 4104 folk, it's now made from unobtainium.    :'(

Glass can be had, you just have to spend $$$ for the tooling.  :o

The sad fact is that no curved glass tooling exists for these - something to do with storage & keeping up with the inventory of molds costs more than making them again. Then there is the issue of evolving technology in making curved glass has rendered old molds obsolete . . . :'(

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2007, 07:47:58 AM »
seems to me at some point we are all going to have to get together and finance a production run on the rear windows...would be really nice to have the light back there...

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2007, 08:09:19 AM »
I tried to do just that.
There is a fellow in MD that has the upper windshields & teardrops & front windshields for the 4501. I didn't like the tint or his price, so I got a price for new glass with the 'correct' tint. If just 10 had agreed to purchase a full set, we could have gotten the cost down to less than half the MD price.

But most choose to wait until they have an immediate need rather than planning ahead. . . .
I heard from 1 guy that said he'd buy 2 pieces for $150. Holy crap! You'd be lucky to get a windshield for a modern car in mass production for that price! So, that's what you are up against.

If I win the powerball, I'll do it myself - IF Nancy says I can . . . .  ;D

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »
For the 4501 creating a need for the upper stuff would probably be hard....But for all the 4104 rear windows, which from what i can tell at least half the conversions have covered with sheet metal, it might be possible to have enough "need"  BTW did I misread or are the 4104,4106 and 4501 rear windows all the same? THis would increase the need even more....maybe..

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:18 AM »
So in a move to reunite all the GM factions again "GMC's are King of the Roads"

And the congregation of Get More Cash said "Amen"

Cliff
[/quote]

Got Mechanic Ccoming

Sorry I could not resist.

Now back to figuring out my German bus built in Colorado.   ::)

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2007, 10:25:15 AM »
For the 4501 creating a need for the upper stuff would probably be hard....But for all the 4104 rear windows, which from what i can tell at least half the conversions have covered with sheet metal, it might be possible to have enough "need"  BTW did I misread or are the 4104,4106 and 4501 rear windows all the same? THis would increase the need even more....maybe..
Instead of covering with metal I would use Lexan, or something similar, for the rear. If yer brave enough to take one out and use it for a bending mold then you can follow these directions. Thickness may be an issue but I think you can make your own seals with the foam tape that truck toppers use, or something else.
Vac Forming

this requires heating your sheet too around 260/280c depending on thickness for it too become rubberised. you can read and make your own Vac former at this link http://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/vacuform.htm

bending lexan/plexiglass is rather simple affair

To curve either of these two products
one must invest in a simple homeowners propane torch kit (generally around
$12.00 US). To bend lexan and plexiglass your piece should be clamped
firmly to a strong, stable surface that is preferably indoors. Once you
have clamped the piece begin to heat the panel along the line where you
intend to have it bend. DON'T put the torch too close for too long as it
will cause the plastics to get cloudy or even bubble up. You will know when
the plastic is ready to bend simply by applying pressure to the free end of
your work piece. Large pieces will require the help of a partner who can
apply even pressure along the entire length of the bend while you torch the
plastic keeping a uniform and consistant source of heat applied until you
have achieved the bend or shape your desire.These types of plastics are
also virtually indistructible but they are also a bit more costly. Wall
thicknesses on these products can go up to several inches thick. remember you need too be careful working with HOT and nearly MOLTEN plastics. please get adult supervision if at a young age.

Cutting lexan

Cutting / Drilling:
Tin Snips (Nice clean cuts). depending on thickness!!
Hack saw (don't cut too fast, or the plastic will melt).
"Utility" (or Hobby) Knife and a metal edged ruler.
Do NOT use a scroll saw due to small blade (it typically 'melts' it's way through the plastic). and can cause problems
Can be drilled (best if drilled by hand). i found hand drilling lexan more easy than hispeed drills these too also tend too melt through the plastic and not cut it. Shaping:
Heat.(Softens at about 290-340F or 143-171C)
Use a strip heater (or use a stove element with two heavy tiles to form a thin strip of heat, or your toaster). or heat torch,oven. remember hot plasics need careful hadling with heat proof gloves when i bend lexan. i will warm up the sheet. But the pipe or whatever you use must be clean. the lexan/plexi will take on any slight imperfection on the item used too form the bend. so be sure too use a item that will be use for bending your plastic only and nothing else.

glass is a almost perfect surface for forming over, bowls work well but will need to be thick glass too widthstand the vacum formed when forming in plastic, steel etc etc its a trail and error thing

hope this helps you guys with the crazy ideas for rigs

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

The big center window in my 04 is lexan. then painted with a picture.

the two small windows would be the problem.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline tekebird

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »
I have some of the smnaller windows still.

Problem is both the outboard sections and the middle peice have compound curves....Read curves two directions simultaneously/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal