Author Topic: Another E bayer that thinks he has a PD4501 Scenic-Cruiser ....  (Read 30554 times)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Another E bayer that thinks he has a PD4501 Scenic-Cruiser ....
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:22 PM »
Guys,

Please be VERY careful using PD4501 in your subject line.

Unless it actually involves a PD4501.

There are a few out there (you know who you are) that have almost ruined a good keyboard trying to log on, so they could see what it was all about.   :D

Think of there feelings and how disappointed they were when they found out it was really the "King of Coaches", the Buffalo, that you were talking about.  :P

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 01:27:47 PM »
Guys,

Please be VERY careful using PD4501 in your subject line.

Unless it actually involves a PD4501.

There are a few out there (you know who you are) that have almost ruined a good keyboard trying to log on, so they could see what it was all about.   :D

Think of there feelings and how disappointed they were when they found out it was really the "King of Coaches", the Buffalo, that you were talking about.  :P

Cliff

Sounds like the "queen of coaches" is jealous of the real deal when it comes to icons of transportation history.

Cliff, If the 4905 was so great, how come it needed a roof raise?

ROTFLMAO
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »

Cliff, If the 4905 was so great, how come it needed a roof raise?

ROTFLMAO

Kyle,

Well! 

Let me explain the evolution of the GM coach to SOMEONE once again.......

Since you are somewhat familiar with the 4501, I will start there.

The 4501 was really the first in the great GM hump experiment, it was sort of the prototype, beta model so to speak.

The hump started out half way back, but then the GM Engineers (whom we should not question)

said "we can improve that half hump thing" and thus came the era of the "King of Coaches"

The hump was moved farther forward to a more manly position.  And all was well in the GM world.

This position was so good it lasted decades and 1000's, not just 1001 coaches, as some models.

A meeting was held (in secret) of the original GM designers and they were ready to take it to the last level.

But alas, Greyhound, MCI and the whole loss of GM's dominance in the new highway coach market came to an end.

Fortunately, I found some documents stuffed in the air vents of my bus during the restoration process, which detailed GM's plan to raise the entire front end and complete the last stage, of  the evolution from the 4501, to the Buffalo or "King of Coaches" as we know it.

So as a tribute to those GM engineers, I brought there dream to a conclusion.

And there you have the answer to "Why I raised the roof"

I would have been happy to show you the documents I described, but they were unexpectedly lost when my exhaust had a terrible leak, I had stored them by the access hole under the bed, tragically thinking they would be safe there. 

;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
Cliff, I've changed the color of your text to a more appropriate color to reflect your state of envy.

RE: Let me explain the evolution of the GM coach to SOMEONE once again.......

Again, Cliff, I am NOT your dream therapist. How many times must I tell you that just because I actually own a REAL PD4501 does not mean I know everything.

RE: the GM Engineers (whom we should not question)

Of this there is no doubt, but just because you use a few facts, you will not sway the intelligent readers of this board. They are way smarter than that.

RE: "we can improve that half hump thing" and thus came the era of the "King of Coaches"
 The hump was moved farther forward to a more manly position.

The 4501's were in main line service for nearly 20 years. How's that for 'manly' stamina & real staying power?

RE: . . . lasted decades and 1000's, not just 1001 coaches, as some models.

Quantity VS. Quality comes to mind here. But I'm not so sure you'd understand quality. Look it up in any decent dictionary & you will see a picture of a 4501. One could also make the observation that the later buses weren't up to performing the work of the mighty PD4501 & therefore GM had to make more just to keep up!

RE: So as a tribute to those GM engineers, I brought there dream to a conclusion.

And there you have the answer to "Why I raised the roof"

And all this time it was to make your head look smaller. Nice attempt at justifying all your efforts tho.

RE: I would have been happy to show you the documents I described, but they were unexpectedly lost when my exhaust had a terrible leak, I had stored them by the access hole under the bed, tragically thinking they would be safe there. 

Again, see what happens when the unprepared & ill equipped try to think?

I can only assume the real reason you haven't painted your 'queen of coaches' is because you haven't been able to get an 'envy green' that Julie will allow you to put on it.  ;D

Cliff, this envy has just got to stop. Your friends (Yes, BOTH of them) & family are worried about you. Get help soon. I'll even let you sleep in one of my buses (yes, a real PD4501) as part of the treatment. But you will have to bring your own bed as I can't be bothered with details like that.  ;D  ::)

Ncbob

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »
Ah, the pity.  Fellow MCI'ers...we knew that one day it would come to this....a fallout in the ranks of those poor GMC owners.  Nell's Bell's and Sweet Lucy Brown!  Might this be a chink in their armor? A needle, perhaps, wherein a Kingdom might be lost? Oh, the humanity!

I cannot, in conscience, help but feel that all the hype I've heard about the superiority of GMC buses must now fall by the wayside in light of these disputes.

But, I caution MCI'ers...If they find out that we've discovered their weaknesses they will renew their ongoing attacks at us with renewed vigor. So arm yourselves with the strength of the stainless steel of our steeds and feel confident that it's stronger than, not only the slings and arrows of the others, aluminum.

With tongue in cheek...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bob

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:13 PM »
RE: I cannot, in conscience, help but feel that all the hype I've heard about the superiority of GMC buses must now fall by the wayside in light of these disputes.
HEY BOB! WAKE UP! You were dreaming again!

Watch your self Bob. Even the woefully inept Cliff was able to fix his exhaust system by his self even while working a full time job to support his family.  8) :o

I donno about the credibility of someone who can't even get a muffler for his MCI from the company that is still making buses!  ???

How can you expect us GM owners to be threatened by a MCI when they can't even support their own with replacement parts as simple as a muffler?  :o

BTW, wasn't the company that made your 8v71 a division of GMC once upon a time? Oh the irony.  8)

And another thing, I'll bet if Cliff put a GM muffler on your 5, it would run loads better. Maybe you should ask him. I'll bet you will increase your chances if you apologise first.  ;D

You just wait until I get the orphans on the road. We'll have 'em ready in no time - after all, they are GM's finest.  ;D

Ncbob

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »
Some who I knew in my heart of hearts that it wouldn't take long to 'wake the sleeping giant!'

It seems that I have taken upon myself without realizing that not all the Members of this Board are supporters of the MCI goal.  How tragic....but let that not divide us...as you have enough division within your own ranks.

I may have my own problems with the ineptitudes of the hirelings at MCI but I shall not be dissuaded in my quest for the original exhaust system.  Sneer at me if you will, Oh Ye of Little Faith, for I shall overcome the obstacles placed before me by the fallen ones.

The MCI BusGod's will walk with me through this valley and...we shall endeavor to persevere!  ;)

Got that Kyle?

Bob

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »
HEY PICKLE -

Now look what you've started!!

:D :D :D :D
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:00:26 AM »
RE: . . . the MCI goal.
Maybe if the goal was quality vs. a vain attempt at greatness . . .  ::)

RE: I may have my own problems
That just may be the understatement of the year  :o , or is that Jackie's line  ::)

RE: . . . for I shall overcome the obstacles placed before me . . .
So, Cliff agreed to fix it for you? You must have found the soft spot in his head   ;D

RE: . . . the fallen ones . . .
Are you saying MCI "has fallen & can't get up"?   :o

RE: The MCI BusGod's . . .
I thought that was "The MCI Busgobbs" as in GOBBS of grease  ;D

RE: ". . . endeavor to persevere!"
My favorite movie line (spoken by Chief Dan George in 'The Outlaw Josey Wales')

Bob, The least you can do is be there for support while Cliff fixes what MCI can't.  ;D 8)

Safe travels to Jack's Bash, I wish I could be there . . . .

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 06:37:08 AM »
You just wait until I get the orphans on the road. We'll have 'em ready in no time - ...

No time is when they will be ready ???  I see

I also see where you bid it up to $530 5 times in a row :P  Don't worry I'll keep your secret.  ;)

At least you won't have to lower the floor to keep from raising the roof! ;D

I guess MCi engineers were just a little bit taller. :P
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »
BOY, Boy, Boys...GMC had the best bus in the industry with the Scenicruiser!  That was the first "HUMP' As you call it.  As the reduced the size of the hump the whole thing went downhill.  The last bus they produced was called the Titan II.  Here it is!
And Cliff...I stil love ya! (In a totally hetertosexual sort of way!) (Spoken in a "Manly Man" voice!) ;D

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline tekebird

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 09:40:35 AM »
now now....the best bus ever produced was the 4104......although not as distictive as the scenicruiser it was far more successfull and untill the MC-9 was the most produced highway coach in US History.

there are probably twice as many 4104 tooling the highways  today that Scenicruisers    produced

Offline Green-Hornet

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 05:09:10 PM »
This has the potential to be the most entertaining post EVER! :D
Where is my popcorn?

Offline kyle4501

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »
now now....the best bus ever produced was the 4104......although not as distictive as the scenicruiser it was far more successfull and untill the MC-9 was the most produced highway coach in US History.

there are probably twice as many 4104 tooling the highways  today that Scenicruisers    produced

The 4104 was built to the same awesome standards as the 4501, & is a durable, well built coach for sure.

I'm sure you know that there were legal issues that prevented GM from making more 4501s after the initial production run of 1000 (+ the prototype). Since the 4104 most closely matched the mighty 4501 in the front, it was the natural choice (not to mention they were priced much cheaper). But, alas, they had to play second to the 4501 & as a result, they received routes only when the 4501s had break downs - & we all know that never happened. That is why so many 4104s are still out there, they are essentially new buses.  :o

I have a friend who owns both, a 4104 & a 4501. Both are fully seated & functioning. Guess which one is the bus of choice? It ain't the new one.  :)

cody

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
Thank you, I've enjoyed the post, and now am enlightened and filled with wisdom (among other things), expiring minds want to know lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal