Author Topic: Thoughts on conversion resale prices  (Read 8254 times)

Offline kd5kfl

Re: Thoughts on conversion resale prices
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
What ChristyHicks said.

There is a learning curve. Even if you are an accomplished carpenter and plumber and electrician, et cetera, what works in a house may not work on a house that drives down New Mexico roads.

You have to see it as a hobby. A hobby with more practical uses than other vehicular hobbies, like hot rods. Check out the collector car Auto Trader sometime. Chock full of "$60,000 invested, asking $32,000". Not the sort of ROI that excites money managers.

Offline Reddog

• 1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado
  • 1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto
    • Dog Bus site
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »
True, ROI may not be the best, but the project keeps me off the streets at night.
Doug Engel, Gunnison, CO
"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."

Offline tekebird

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 08:32:30 AM »
most of the time a 10,000.00 shell is like a 500.00 car.

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 10:58:44 AM »
most of the time a 10,000.00 shell is like a 500.00 car.

Then what does that make my $2000 shell? A $100 car? Ouch..... :o :o :o
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 12:20:51 PM »
Buddydawg,

Don't feel bad.....

Try and tell the difference between a $500.00 car and $100.00 car from 100'   ;D ;D ;D

See what I mean :o

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline dwbruner

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 12:25:12 PM »
You have to see it as a hobby. A hobby with more practical uses than other vehicular hobbies, like hot rods.

Wonderfully stated! ;D  I found myself stressing out about the huge amount of work & multiple tasks to do on my conversion, but once I started viewing it as a hobby is has been a lot more fun & less stressful (except when the credit card bill shows up with all those bus parts!!  :o :o).  I now realize I can only work so fast based on available time & money.  I also find myself more productive & less stressed doing 1-2 tasks at a time instead of biting off more than I can chew. :D

It will be awesome to use my bus someday like I envision, but until then the friendships, rallies, bus boards, emails, etc are an excellent benefit along this journey! :)

Darrin
Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10

Offline busnut104

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 05:11:56 PM »
After reading all the post I fell that I have to add my two cents. As most of you probably know I have my conversion for sale on this boards classified.  I feel that I have done a good job, and now have a very nice conversion. This has been a hobbie for me, I love to build things which I have done most of my life, I have went over everything possible and made all repairs, From a new eng. and rebuilt transmission and on  and on, I have worked on this for 9 years, and I think this is the problem. My life and family are much different now  9 years later,  My wife and I set down and faced the facts that we will never use it. I have thousands of hours which was work but I enjoyed, There was some real challenges but that was part of the fun. I have had friends stop by and ask why I was doing this and I said that it was my hobbie and they would say the it looked to much like work to them. I also know that it is not a investment so don't even start if you have that on your mind, My asking price is probably about half what I have invested. I do agree that you should use you bus as you work on it, which I did not, The big advantage to buying one all ready converted is you will save a lot of money, ( if you by the right one ) and instead of converting it you can be enjoying it. I'm talking from experience, always a busnut. 

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »
I have a large boat under construction.  That is my hobby and I have been working on it for 12+ years - I've owned 3 other boats while the Bartender was in construction because we also like using a boat.  I think that's the issue for a lot of guys who start a bus and then lose interest before they ever get to actually use it.  I would be the same if I was waiting to use my boat.  In the interim while I am building it we have had lots of fun on the water.  If/when it is finished we will have fun with it too but I have been able to enjoy the construction phase because there was no pressure to "get it done" so that we could use it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal