Author Topic: exhaust brake compred to a Jake brake  (Read 18654 times)

Offline boogiethecat

• HeartMagic
Re: exhaust brake compred to a Jake brake
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
Oh come on Larry, don't be a bad sport.
Chill out a bit. 
This entire board has been a very civil place for quite a while, and nobody's trying to annoy anyone.  Threads change course during discussions, that's the way it is on the internet. We're not in elementary school anymore, we're adults and as such we oughta be able to add ideas and thoughts to discussions as we feel necessary, without being afraid that the principal will yell at us.
There's nothing being hijacked about this thread other than your posts about this thread getting hijacked!! (and maybe this post)
Ok, I've apologized for mentioning things other than Jakes and Exhaust brakes in this thread, and now I've said my peace. You can delete me now if you want.
Eeeek.
1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »
I refuse to get in a pissing match on here if the shoe fits wear it.

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Dreamscape

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with adding additional information about this topic. I learned something from it, never heard of Telma. Mixing information on a thread will always happen, forever.

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
"Richard I will not answer any other questions on this board then. "

OK.  Your choice Larry.

I appreciate the efforts of people who read behind the question and give extra information because it helps those who don't know enough to ask the right question. In this case, everyone has heard of Jake brakes, some have heard of exhaust brakes and very few know anything about the advantages and disadvantages of hydraulic or eddy current or other types of retarders.

Thanks to a few members, we are all a bit better educated. Well done.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 01:29:28 AM »
Another small step for man......  The thing that has always stuck in the back of my mind, and I know that isn't all that great a distance, is that each and every one of the AUX braking systems has one vital link in common.  The drive shaft and U joints.  That gives me pause cause i have had those fail on me a lot more times than i care to recall.  U joints!  It is really nice to see that Thelma can be mounted to the differential and lashed to the input U joint yoke.  Boy does that seem like a real improvement in safety.  Europe ahead again?  First their Auto Select shifter now this.  Where will it all end?  OPPS!  What if I break one of those floating axles?

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 04:54:25 AM »
Another small step for man......  The thing that has always stuck in the back of my mind, and I know that isn't all that great a distance, is that each and every one of the AUX braking systems has one vital link in common.  The drive shaft and U joints.  That gives me pause cause i have had those fail on me a lot more times than i care to recall.  U joints!  It is really nice to see that Thelma can be mounted to the differential and lashed to the input U joint yoke.  Boy does that seem like a real improvement in safety.  Europe ahead again?  First their Auto Select shifter now this.  Where will it all end?  OPPS!  What if I break one of those floating axles?

John
Since the service brakes would be cold I would think you would just stop and pull off the road. I am certain the service brakes would be good for a couple of complete stops, especially since they would be cold. That is one of the reasons for having the supplemental braking system.

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Alan Baker

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 05:18:35 AM »
 ??? I was convinced with LarryH's 1st post. This has been a good overview of aux breaking. Too bad the Telmah retarder won't fit on most of our drive shafts. With the exception of the price, it sure sounds like the only way to go down hill.
  With the current price of fuel digging into the money I've set aside to see the big down grades in the west I may be fated to roam the NE corridor. I've got Jakes but its over kill on the Atlantic seaboard.
Alan
Alan Baker
Lake Placid, FL
61 PD4106-00038 for 23 yrs
84 Eagle-10 10" roof raise
6V92 turbo 90 injectors Allison 740
since 2000
Every ride is a new adventure

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 06:20:27 AM »
??? I was convinced with LarryH's 1st post. This has been a good overview of aux breaking. Too bad the Telmah retarder won't fit on most of our drive shafts. With the exception of the price, it sure sounds like the only way to go down hill.
  With the current price of fuel digging into the money I've set aside to see the big down grades in the west I may be fated to roam the NE corridor. I've got Jakes but its over kill on the Atlantic seaboard.
Alan
Alan, great to see you posting. Welcome back.

BTW, If you ever get as far west as West Virginia and travel the WV Turnpike, you will be glad you have your Jakes. LOL

Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »

BTW, If you ever get as far west as West Virginia and travel the WV Turnpike, you will be glad you have your Jakes. LOL

I concurr with Richard.  I've done the WV Turnpike with and without Jake Brakes.  Running the turnpike with Jakes is a lot less stressfull.  I had cold brakes at the end of every down hill stretch AND was still able to keep up with traffic with the Jakes.  Without Jakes I was on the brakes a lot more and had to run a gear down, which made me slower than traffic.  Not a big deal in the end as either way got me home or to my destination safely.  However, now that I've run it both ways I prefer running with Jakes for a more relaxed driving experience.

Offline Alan Baker

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 12:24:39 PM »
Actuall, I run the WV turnpike quite often. I married a girl from Findlay, OH.

I do have Jakes and love them. I feel very safe on Sandstone Mtn which I crest at aprox 27 mph. 84 Eagle 6v92 TA. I try to stick with the old truckers rule of going down in the same gear you went up. I have to admit 2nd is a litte slow for me with the Jakes full on so I pop it into 3rd.

Hi Richard and everyone I'll be leaving for Bussin' soon so this may be my last chance to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Alan
Alan Baker
Lake Placid, FL
61 PD4106-00038 for 23 yrs
84 Eagle-10 10" roof raise
6V92 turbo 90 injectors Allison 740
since 2000
Every ride is a new adventure

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 01:57:23 PM »
For whatever it is worth, (?) we had an old two-axle American LaFrance ladder truck which had an electric driveline retarder.  I don't remember what manufacture.  It was an amazing device, very quiet and would slow down that overweight 44,000# monster in no time and space at all.  It was hooked up thru (I think!) the brake light circuit or perhaps the brake pedal itself.

The exhaust brake in my present Crown works kinda and is very quiet.  The Jake in my old school bus was noisy (the kids loved it!) and worked very very well.  The electric driveshaft retarder on the fire truck worked the very best of all, but we were told not to park her off road in the grass or weeds.  Apparently someting underneath the chassis got quite hot.  Again subjective. 

I do not know if any presently available model of electric retarder would fit in our older coaches.  May, may not.  Perhaps others will enlighten us.  If not, then that leaves us with two (2) other options....the potatoe brake or a Jake.  Yes, I also have seen (not driven) exhaust brakes on Crown school buses with a 671 2 stroke.  Go figure.  My future plans include a Jake.  :) :) :)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »
I feel very safe on Sandstone Mtn which I crest at aprox 27 mph. 84 Eagle 6v92 TA.
Alan

Crested last week at 55+ mph ....  400HP ISM and AutoShift and GCVW with my TOAD of 35500
Before the repower I was right there with you ... though a little closer to 35mph

Offline Reddog

• 1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado
  • 1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto
    • Dog Bus site
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 02:35:35 PM »
Pokey (our '81 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 3208NA) had no aux. braking devices (big reason we sold it). I was told that you could not put an exhaust brake on the 3208 because the head gaskets wouldn't take the pressure, so I suppose not all types are compatible with all engines. Thomas has a Telma retarder, it works fantastic. My 99 Dodge has an exhaust brake, it works very well too. I have been in big trucks with Jakes, very impressive as well. I guess that having had a bus without anything but the brakes, I'd go with ANYTHING that would help slow the rig down and keep the brakes cool.
Doug Engel, Gunnison, CO
"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »
i've not found any used jakes.  new ones are $5k plus install at williams.  i'd never heard of a telma.  if i have to pay $5k why not $6k for a better system.

larryh, i thought your original helpful comment showed you knew some good things.  you should keep posting.  i am glad the telma's were mentioned, however.

i'm really glad we're goin to Bussin 08 where the "experts" are.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 11:07:36 PM »
Richard,

If my Jakes kept everything "cool" and i could come down the grapevine grade, 8%, at 70mph....I would probably get in that far.  Would service brakes stop me at that speed on that grade in a 9?

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal